Future of the franchise depends on what the Raptors do this offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of the franchise depends on what the Raptors do this offseason

Whether useful or not (mostly not), I'm sure many of you have been in an organization that has a "mission statement" outlining what the overall goals are. It would be great to have one from the raptors. On many other threads here, half of us are praising one rumour while others are aghast. The problem is, we're in that middle ground and we don't know which way is up. Are we one or two pieces away from being Indiana? Then build away. Are we tanking? Then do it right. We have been in the lottery for years without trying to get there...what's so bad about one more year? If we know where we are going, we know better what the right moves are.
    My idea would be this. Focus on 2015-16. Whoever we have on our roster that can be a useful piece then, continue to develop them. Anyone else...gone for whatever assets we can get. We get to watch young talent grow and we get a good chance at the overall group in 2014. Everything else is clear. Anyone with a different idea? I suspect there might be.

Although I'd love for some transparency, I don't think Ujiri wants to reveal his cards just yet.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Although I'd love for some transparency, I don't think Ujiri wants to reveal his cards just yet.
      True.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Yes, wouldn't want to scare off any potential seasons ticket holders.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          Yes, wouldn't want to scare off any potential seasons ticket holders.
          Good point. I'll just add that in today's league with all the media and rumors... its practically impossible to have a definitive plan for a GM to share. Imagine Ujiri opens his cards and labels players X, Y and Z and vital pieces for 15-16 when the Raps are bound to challenge for a championship (hypothetically), then automatically all other players lose their trading value since all the world knows we do not value them highly.

Not only that, in the new CBA teams will act spontaneously - ala Phily trade at the draft. Who has expected that they'd give away their best player?!

They may have an agenda up on the board at ACC, but highly unlikely to share it with us

Comment

"Win. Eventually."
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Tanking vs Rebuilding

Here is a pretty neat article about tanking vs. rebuilding.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/3...ilding-tanking
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Discuss and stuff.
                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

I'm pretty sure the raps this season are going to take advantage of all the teams who are planning on tanking. i hope the're going to make a run to get into the playoffs while giving jv and ross more minutes. rebuilding and making a run at the same time, my prediction ... 4-5 in the east .. a bit high?
                  What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                  The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                  No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                    I'm pretty sure the raps this season are going to take advantage of all the teams who are planning on tanking. i hope the're going to make a run to get into the playoffs while giving jv and ross more minutes. rebuilding and making a run at the same time, my prediction ... 4-5 in the east .. a bit high?
                    Why? what would be the point? To become fodder for Miami Heat in 1st round? No thanks.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                      These Raps will not have a higher record than Miami, Brooklyn, Indiana or Chicago. 5th place is the absolute height of possibility if absolutely everything goes right, and you know when everything goes right? Me either.

And since they're not good enough to beat any of those teams in a best of seven... first-round exit, hurrah.

Comment

Future of the franchise depends on what the Raptors do this offseason

Raptors must quickly decide whether to tank next season or trade Gay. Because to me there's no better year to tank than next year with Wiggins, and Parker and Randle and Vonleh etc all coming up. All future all-stars, franchise changer or in Wiggins case a sure fire future hall of famer.

If the Raptors decide to keep Gay. Then in my opinion they should sign him LONG TERM and build around him and JV and hopefully with another all-star caliber player. Because whether you like his(Gay) contract or not. Gay is one of the best SF in the game. Best wing player we've had since VC. And i would argue that he's the most skilled player we've had as well since VC.

This offseason is huge.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Hasn't this topic been beaten to death over years of 100s of threads, and on-going in multiple threads?

Comment

Zig when everyone else Zags!

Raps beat out New York for 5th seed, face Brooklyn in the first round. Hopefully BEAT Brooklyn, and move to the 2nd round in the first time in like... ever. All the while gaining reputation/recognition for our players, thus being able to sell high during next offseason.
                            Nothing like a solid playoff series win and competitiveness to showcase our talent!
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

The future is always dependent on present actions.

Comment

Working...
                              X