No announcement yet.

Camby saga - buyout details in post #100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For some, much ado about nothing. MU knew exactly how this was going to play out before he made the deal, and accepted the cost. Get over it.

Comment

• I don't like this buy-out business. If a player isn't going to play for a team he is traded to, then his contract should be forfeit. He can then play for whoever wants him, and there should be no cap implications for the original team...obviously, as the contract would have been voided.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
        I don't like this buy-out business. If a player isn't going to play for a team he is traded to, then his contract should be forfeit. He can then play for whoever wants him, and there should be no cap implications for the original team...obviously, as the contract would have been voided.
        The problem with that is its implications. If a player has a break-out season on a mid-level exception like contract, he can just decide to void his contract and enter free agency? Teams would get even more screwed than they are now.

Comment

• Marz wrote: View Post
          The problem with that is its implications. If a player has a break-out season on a mid-level exception like contract, he can just decide to void his contract and enter free agency? Teams would get even more screwed than they are now.
          Good point. Has to be some way around it though...paying people to just walk away and play elsewhere is awful.

Comment

• It depends if MU knew that Camby would want a trade before hand. I think the raptors could use a back up C but Camby can't be relied on for big minutes. A buy out is probably the best case here as the Knicks wanted out of his contract and MU had to take another expensive contract. The buy out is more a win win in that the team gets some cap space. And Camby can finish his career trying to win another title

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
              I don't like this buy-out business. If a player isn't going to play for a team he is traded to, then his contract should be forfeit. He can then play for whoever wants him, and there should be no cap implications for the original team...obviously, as the contract would have been voided.
              I see it as a penalty as well for the teams that acquire them from a "business" standpoint rather than a basketball view. Clearly, MU did not acquire Camby as a rotation player who he can use on the court but rather to make the numbers work to get rid of Bargnani.

Its also protection for the players so they dont just get tossed around just to make trades work.

Comment

• which looks like a totally awesome deal to me! people focusing on the Camby part of the equation need to re-look at the whole picture.we were on the hook for 23.3 mil for Bargs over the next 2 seasons and to unload that type of contract you have to take back some bad contracts in return. to blow off 3.4 mil on Camby and perhaps the 4.5 owed Q-rich for the next 3 seasons (but i'm guessing he'll show and collect his money) and then make a 3 year commitment to a good 3point shooter in Novak at 3.75 x 3 would be actually work for me to move Bargs down the road but holy crap he somehow got a 1st + a pair 2nd round picks thrown in! i suspect the Camby buy out was prearranged but for me it's an easily digestible item when looking at the entire fallout of this deal

Comment

• Camby signs with Rockets! What does that mean for Raps Cap?

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/95...al-source-says
                  So now that Camby signed vets minimum with Rockets, how much money does the Raps still have to pay him? Good Bye I say to him!!!!!!

Comment

• It has zero effect on the Raps cap. They bought him out, end of story.

Comment

• Buying out doesn't necessarily remove the impact a player signing elsewhere will have. In this case however, the Raptors likely including a waiving of Camby's set-off rights in their buyout, since it ended up being for a bigger discount than just what Camby would make on a vet minimum contract. So, yes, in this case, there is no impact.

But if they had waived him, then about $300,000 would come off the Raps' cap - as compared to the 1.6 M that came off via the buyout. Good job by Ujiri getting him to take less so he could walk, rather than just caving and giving him the full amount buyout as has been done before.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Elkabong wrote: View Post
                        which looks like a totally awesome deal to me! people focusing on the Camby part of the equation need to re-look at the whole picture.we were on the hook for 23.3 mil for Bargs over the next 2 seasons and to unload that type of contract you have to take back some bad contracts in return. to blow off 3.4 mil on Camby and perhaps the 4.5 owed Q-rich for the next 3 seasons (but i'm guessing he'll show and collect his money) and then make a 3 year commitment to a good 3point shooter in Novak at 3.75 x 3 would be actually work for me to move Bargs down the road but holy crap he somehow got a 1st + a pair 2nd round picks thrown in! i suspect the Camby buy out was prearranged but for me it's an easily digestible item when looking at the entire fallout of this deal
                        To your point, here are the financial commitments over the next few years pre and post Bargs trade.

With Bargs:
                        2013-14: 10.75M
                        2014-15: 11.50M
                        2015-16: 0

Without Bargs:
                        2013-14: Novak (3.75M) + Q-Rich (1.40M) + Camby buyout (2.76M) = 7.91M
                        2014-15: Novak (3.45M) + Camby buyout (0.65M) = 4.10M
                        2015-16: Novak (3.75M) = 3.75M

So for a 3.75M cap hit in 2015-16 (for a good shooter), we cleared about 3M this year and 7.4M next year, and got a first round pick and 2 2nd round picks for the trouble. This assumes Q-Rich is waived, as expected.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• just because a player signs with a team doesn't mean he had any trade value, which i'm 100% confident camby had zero of.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            just because a player signs with a team doesn't mean he had any trade value, which i'm 100% confident camby had zero of.
                            It's also a matter of approx $4M salary via trade VS vet minimum salary via free agent signing. When other teams know that you're likely going to waive a guy anyway, it puts you in an even worse negotiating position. I'm just glad MU settled for waiving him, rather than force a deal that winds up taking something worse back, just to avoid 'wasting' an asset. Same goes for LK, in addition to MC.

Comment

• Camby was never coming, that was a givin. I think this is less about MU being savvy, and more just standard stuff, and likely a bit of Camby playing nice with Toronto as Toronto was never really bad to him in the past. Sometimes...its just another day at the office, and sometimes things go ok for ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X