Camby saga - buyout details in post #100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Do With Camby

With Marcus Camby asking for a trade or buyout, I’ve come up with a few coups to explore as he does not seem to be a willing team member moving forward. I’m not advocating for any team other than the Raptors at this point. Part of the difficulty in trading Camby is that he wants to be on a playoff contender which eliminates quite a few teams from being trade possibilities. Teams that can safely be eliminated from trade conversations with Camby are the Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers, New Orleans Pelicans, Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Detroit Pistons, Portland Trail Blazers, Milwaukee Bucks, Utah Jazz, Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards, and Sacramento Kings.

I’ve tried out some trades on the NBA Trade Machine one of which is sending Camby to the Pacers for Ian Mahinmi. This would be a great deal for the Raptors as Mahinmi is young and physical whereas Camby is aging and more of a good personality. Mahinmi can play heavy minutes, whereas Camby will likely only be able to play short spurts. Last year Mahinmi averaged 16.5 MPG (Minutes per game), 5 PPG (points per game) and 3.9 RPG (rebounds per game) playing in 80 of 82 games. Camby on the other hand only played 24 games last year due to a mixture of injuries and healthy scratches from the lineup. Camby averaged 10.4 MPG, 1.8 PPG, and 3.3 RPG during last season. I find this trade unlikely as Mahinmi if both younger (27 to Camby’s 39 years of age) and cheaper, but one can always hope right?

The Raptors could try trading Camby to the Miami Heat for Joel Anthony. The Heat were originally after Camby before the Knicks signed him last summer. The Heat have not been using Anthony anyways, so this trade may have some chance of being discussed by both the Raptors and the Heat. What is not certain is if Miami are still looking for a Centre like Camby with the emergence of Chris “Birdman” Andersen last year. I’m not saying that Birdman and Camby are the same player, but they do play the same position, and already are playing behind Chris Bosh. With that in mind, minutes would be hard to come by and would be very difficult to be shared between them.
    See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl....kqO6VRA2.dpuf
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Camby is being patient..
      Last edited by LBF; Mon Jul 8, 2013, 05:41 PM.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Of course he is. It's July and he doesn't have to report until September.

Comment

It wouldn't be bad flipping Camby for Anthony & 2014 2nd round pick. Being able to flip Anthony to another team to clear cap space would be even better. Anthony would be a $3.8M expiring contract next offseason.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Of course he is. It's July and he doesn't have to report until September.
            Ok. Jeez, lay off...just trying to scrounge up something to talk about.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              It wouldn't be bad flipping Camby for Anthony & 2014 2nd round pick. Being able to flip Anthony to another team to clear cap space would be even better. Anthony would be a $3.8M expiring contract next offseason.
              Interesting..I like the way you think..But, I'd like to see how Anthony does with some solid time in the hard court..

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                That's the kind of deal I would want for Camby. A pick and an expiring. 3 2nd rounders, a 1st rounder, an expiring contract, and a serviceable role player would be quite the haul for Bargnani.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  That's the kind of deal I would want for Camby. A pick and an expiring. 3 2nd rounders, a 1st rounder, an expiring contract, and a serviceable role player would be quite the haul for Bargnani.
                  oops, realized Anthony has 2 years left on his contract (second year is a player option). Either way, still like the deal (if it were to happen).

Comment

Ya, I like the deal as well.

Comment

camby

http://prosportsdaily.com/nba/nba-rumors.html

Camby to be bought out. Will we get finacials?

Comment

Financials? Unlikely.

Comment

Could the Raptors do a sign and trade with the Bulls? You know something like Robinson (+ maybe Big scrub) for Camby ( + maybe Q-Rich)

Comment

If the raps want to sneak under the tax we probably don't want to do a sign a trade. Buy out at 2 mill or under is probably best from that stand point

edit: when I wrote this I hadn't heard confirmation of Kleiza being amnestied. If he has than the dynamics change and I don't think it's worth buying him out. Unless it's for something cheap like 1 mil.
                            Last edited by ezz_bee; Wed Jul 17, 2013, 06:42 AM.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I am not a fan of buying camby out. I was okay with it if it helped us get under the tax. Camby could be useful as our 2nd or 3rd center. There no reason why we can't tell him to suck it up and play. I'm happy to trade him to a contender at some point during the season as long as we get something back. It could even be an expiring scrub or a second rounder. But paying him 1 to 2 mil to play elsewhere I am NOT okay with, unless it somehow provides us with some cap flexibility. I this point I don't see that.

I have no problem with the kleiza amnesty, but buying out Camby afterwards. It just reeks like a coangelo move.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                                I am not a fan of buying camby out. I was okay with it if it helped us get under the tax. Camby could be useful as our 2nd or 3rd center. There no reason why we can't tell him to suck it up and play. I'm happy to trade him to a contender at some point during the season as long as we get something back. It could even be an expiring scrub or a second rounder. But paying him 1 to 2 mil to play elsewhere I am NOT okay with, unless it somehow provides us with some cap flexibility. I this point I don't see that.

I have no problem with the kleiza amnesty, but buying out Camby afterwards. It just reeks like a coangelo move.
                                If he is getting bought out (which seems to be the case) - it will be no where near 1 or 2 mm. We will be lucky to get a minor discount of of the guaranteed portion of his salary (I think 4 mm and change this year and 2 mm this year). So .. you should be thinking more like $5-$6 mm total for the buyout .. and evaluate it based on that.

Its annoying for sure .. but from his perspective, hes guaranteed this money, so he wont walk away from it from just a fraction of what hes owed.

Comment

Working...
                                X