Playoff Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Could be moves to tank or could be moves to strengthen, but I get this feeling that Ujiri has some surprises coming up via trade. It seems like he's just waiting for the FA agency period to pass.
    This last part is my impression.

I mean, really, the team doesn't have the resources to make any major free agency plays. It makes perfect sense to sit back and wait for other teams to do what they want. I don't know if he'll make any major moves this summer, but it's hard to play the trade market when other teams are filling out their rosters.

I'm also really happy that nothing really leaks from this front office so far, not even vague statements. I don't know what direction he's going in or if he's going to try to start it this summer. But judging by the Bargs trade, whether he makes moves now or later, he'll bust his ass maxing out the value of guys when he trades them. Anyone wonder how many hours he spent on the phone shopping Bargs? And then on top of that getting a deal that was basically highway robbery? Yeah, he definitely bought himself a season or two of good faith from me.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      With so many perennial lottery teams making bold moves to try and become relevant in what was long perceived to be a weak playoff race, the 'tanking' competition has suddenly thinned out substantially. Even some degree of 'tanking' (aka big retooling) is suddenly much more attractive and potentially advantageous, than it was even a week ago.

Surprisingly teams like Detroit, Cleveland and even Charlette are not tanking. At least the plan is not to, it seems. This makes tanking more appealing.

I'm not in favour of 'partial' or 'some degree' of tanking though. Not that it can't work, but Toronto has tried it too often and failed. Too much time has been wasted trying to do that.
      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        But judging by the Bargs trade, whether he makes moves now or later, he'll bust his ass maxing out the value of guys when he trades them. Anyone wonder how many hours he spent on the phone shopping Bargs? And then on top of that getting a deal that was basically highway robbery? Yeah, he definitely bought himself a season or two of good faith from me.
        The Bargs trade gave me the impression that 'tanking' is going to happen but I could be totally wrong. I think so 'cause trading Camby and Q Richardson in separate deals for 2nd rounders is not impossible.

I think Ujiri got back much, much more than he expected and it(trading Bargs) was much easier than he expected. Novak is a liability but Bargs was a bigger one.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Question, OKC is small market team, but are the owners willing to invest into them beyond luxury tax, to keep them contenders? For me now it's no because they traded Harden as he was easy replacement, but maybe there's more behind this?
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

1. Miami Heat
            2. Indiana Pacers
            3. Chicago Bulls
            4. Brooklyn Nets
            5. New York Knicks
            6. Toronto Raptors
            7. Washington Wizards
            8. Detroit Pistons/Atlanta Hawks

I think these will be your Eastern Conference Playoffs next season, the cavs are still one year away imo but that could change if Bynum signs with them and plays like he did with the lakeshow
            #BringBackUzoh

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
              Question, OKC is small market team, but are the owners willing to invest into them beyond luxury tax, to keep them contenders? For me now it's no because they traded Harden as he was easy replacement, but maybe there's more behind this?
              SA is a small market team that has proved that if spending keeps them a 'top team', it's worth it. I don't know the dynamics of the OKC market but I don't see why they wouldn't do the same IF THEY HAVE TO.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                SA is a small market team that has proved that if spending keeps them a 'top team', it's worth it. I don't know the dynamics of the OKC market but I don't see why they wouldn't do the same IF THEY HAVE TO.
                Well Harden was pretty obvious case, that they have to extend him. This is why I'm scratching my head now. I remmember he wanted more, but at the same time he mentioned that he wants to stay.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

feet85 wrote: View Post
                  1. Miami Heat
                  2. Indiana Pacers
                  3. Chicago Bulls
                  4. Brooklyn Nets
                  5. New York Knicks
                  6. Toronto Raptors
                  7. Washington Wizards
                  8. Detroit Pistons/Atlanta Hawks

I think these will be your Eastern Conference Playoffs next season, the cavs are still one year away imo but that could change if Bynum signs with them and plays like he did with the lakeshow
                  1.Miami Heat
                  2.Indiana Pacers
                  3.Brooklyn Nets
                  4.Chicago Bulls
                  5.New York Knicks
                  6.Washington Wizards
                  7.Atlanta Hawks
                  8.Detroit Pistons/Boston Celtics/Toronto Raptors

I'm finding it harder and harder to imagine the Raptors in the playoffs. They look like the 9th or 10th most talented team in the East right now in my opinion. If Bynum goes to the cavs and returns to form, they might even drop an extra spot in my predictions.

Comment

Sam17 wrote: View Post
                    1.Miami Heat
                    2.Indiana Pacers
                    3.Brooklyn Nets
                    4.Chicago Bulls
                    5.New York Knicks
                    6.Washington Wizards
                    7.Atlanta Hawks
                    8.Detroit Pistons/Boston Celtics/Toronto Raptors

I'm finding it harder and harder to imagine the Raptors in the playoffs. They look like the 9th or 10th most talented team in the East right now in my opinion. If Bynum goes to the cavs and returns to form, they might even drop an extra spot in my predictions.
                    I think #6-12 in the East are all close right now (adding Cleveland and Milwaukee to the list above). There seems to be a pretty clear top-5 and bottom-3 (Charlotte, Philly and Orlando), leaving a highly competitive group of 7 bubble teams to fight over just 3 playoff spots.

Although I'm not [yet] on board with any degree of tanking, this is the one year where tanking is significantly better than being one of the teams aggressively fighting for the playoffs that winds up missing the playoffs and getting #12-14 pick, given the immense talent projected to be at the top of the draft. I think that's the fence that MU is straddling right now... to fight on the bubble or tank... tough call for a new GM to make, especially with the expectations he and TL have been talking about.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                      Well Harden was pretty obvious case, that they have to extend him. This is why I'm scratching my head now. I remmember he wanted more, but at the same time he mentioned that he wants to stay.
                      It's the reason I put "IF THEY HAVE TO' in capital letters(first post). Obviously they decided that they could remain just as competitive after the trade and it seemed to be working. If I'm right they fell to SA, the eventual runner-up, in the play-offs.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

The Knicks are not a lock for the playoffs. Swapping Novak for Bargnani was probably a very bad idea. They also lose depth at PG without Kidd. Amare and Chandler are both one year older. There is more competition in the East then last year, so they may lose more games. I don't know if they will start the season with the same hot streak as last year.

I don't know.. although I didn't think the Knicks would make the playoffs last year and they did.

Comment

Looking at the Charlotte fan boards, they are evenly split after the Jefferson signing - half of them are "we should tank" and half of them are "WHO ELSE CAN WE GET LET'S DO THIS!" They are seriously psyched. It's nuts.

I wonder if Charlotte would go for a mega-trade, taking Rudy and maybe a couple of other players (Lowry, maybe Ross or DeMar or Acy, maybe the rights to Zubcic) from us in exchange for a number of their picks, Ben Gordon's terrible but expiring contract, Ramon Sessions' contract and maybe one good young player like Gerald Henderson who's an RFA anyway. Instantly upgrades them to near-contender status, gives us the tank we want plus a good young asset.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                            Looking at the Charlotte fan boards, they are evenly split after the Jefferson signing - half of them are "we should tank" and half of them are "WHO ELSE CAN WE GET LET'S DO THIS!" They are seriously psyched. It's nuts.

I wonder if Charlotte would go for a mega-trade, taking Rudy and maybe a couple of other players (Lowry, maybe Ross or DeMar or Acy, maybe the rights to Zubcic) from us in exchange for a number of their picks, Ben Gordon's terrible but expiring contract, Ramon Sessions' contract and maybe one good young player like Gerald Henderson who's an RFA anyway. Instantly upgrades them to near-contender status, gives us the tank we want plus a good young asset.
                            Charlotte would be one of the first teams I called in regards to a Rudy Gay deal if I'm Ujiri.
                            Reports are that they want to get out of the basement and the Jefferson signing reaffirms that. They have a few young, cheap assets with room left to grow and they even have two 2014 first round picks, so the chances of them giving up one are probably greater than other teams who only have their own.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              The Knicks are not a lock for the playoffs. Swapping Novak for Bargnani was probably a very bad idea. They also lose depth at PG without Kidd. Amare and Chandler are both one year older. There is more competition in the East then last year, so they may lose more games. I don't know if they will start the season with the same hot streak as last year.

I don't know.. although I didn't think the Knicks would make the playoffs last year and they did.
                              Knicks are a definite playoff team in my opinion barring crazy injury (but that can be said for a lot of teams).

I do think they will be a first round exit.

They won't beat BKN, MIA, IND, or CHI in the regular season standings or playoffs.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                                they even have two 2014 first round picks
                                They have THREE 2014 first-round picks. Their own, Detroit's (protected top 8) and Portland's (protected top 12). Given Detroit and Portland's offseason improvements, it's quite possible that all three picks fire off this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X