Official: Tyler Hansbrough Signs 2 Year Deal With The Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if this has been mentioned, but this could mean a couple things:

1. Ujiri & co. have committed to Amir Johnson being the starting power forward for the team, meaning Hansbrough is the legit back-up, which he most certainly fits and does a good job of.

2. This team is trying to collect as many cheap assets as possible (my opinion, $3 million for 2 years, + team option is a solid contract), and use it in terms of creating deals for picks/prospects, etc.

3. Fitting in with the culture of tough, defensive minded veterans/players that Ujiri and Casey want to bring into next season.

This also could include all 3, but to be honest, this signing regardless of which side of the fence you are on with Psycho T, and how great the contract is IMO, the signing doesn't give any sense of direction to us fans and bloggers about what this team is planning. If anything, Psycho T seems like a re-tooling signing to me.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Vykis wrote: View Post
      Yeah, Hansbrough is more of hit and run type of initiator, dude gets under players skins, gets them t'd up, has a real punchable face and his eyes are so watery he looks like he's going to cry 24/7, dude's an asshole, he's KG without the skill, but he is also productive, a good rebounder, hustles all the time, has a bit of a midrange jumpshot and Raptors fans will learn how to apreciate his antics and understand that getting under a players skin is a skill and he will transform from just being an asshole to being our asshole
      I hated Hansbrough, but I'm sure Pacers fans loved him. That's obviously the feeling around him, and obviously mentioned in the past.

A guy you hate on the opposing team, but a guy you love if he's on your team.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough! Nobody!" - Frank Vogel
        I for one am glad he's playing for us.
        He gets to the line, gets the opponents into foul trouble, plus he's a hack!
        Can't see why people would be against us signing him. A beast for 3rd big man, and he's probably on a relatively cheap contract too.

Comment

• And if he really has no basketball skills whatsoever, people would see him as a laughing stock instead of hating him.
          When your opponents hate you, you must be doing something right. Ask LeBron

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
            I hated Hansbrough, but I'm sure Pacers fans loved him. That's obviously the feeling around him, and obviously mentioned in the past.

A guy you hate on the opposing team, but a guy you love if he's on your team.
            Just to prove that Pacers fan love him, here are some of the things Pacers fans had to say in forums:

Good for Psycho T. I liked him here, Toronto will like his hustle.
            Wish Psycho T well. Just not against us.
            I wish him well. He played hard for us. That said, it was time to move on for Indiana.
            I wish him all the best. Those Raptors fans may hate him now, but there's a lot about his game that they'll like. I'm not sorry we've moved on, but I appreciate what he brought during his time in Indy.
            For better or worse, Tyler was one of the most exciting players during his tenure in the Blue & Gold. Good Luck Tyler.
            I'll miss Tyler's hustle.
            I will miss the following things that Hansbrough brings to the team:

- Ability to get under the skin of the opposing Team's Players
            - Ability to get other Team and their Players in Foul Trouble
            - Ability to get to the FT line ( as a result )
            - His overall aggressiveness on defense and inside the paint that makes other Players REALLY uncomfortable ( enough to affect their shots )
            - His "balls to the wall" 110% approach to playing basketball ( as Heisenberg mentioned )

I am sure there are other things that I forgot.....but everything else....I won't miss.
            From fans, they really appreciated everything he did for them and had very little bad things to say about him. Except this:

In a nutshell this is the entire reason why Tyler lost any time here. If that jumper had fallen on even a somewhat consistent basis he could have played more min. a game and West would have been able to rest up some more.

But since he totally lost the ability to hit that shot, for whatever reason, he just added nothing on the offensive end if he wasn't getting to the foul line.
            Apparently, last season, he hasn't been hitting his mid range jumpshot on a consistent basis.

Comment

• Interesting. Hopefully, he can have the same impact here

Comment

• flamingtimbits wrote: View Post
                And if he really has no basketball skills whatsoever, people would see him as a laughing stock instead of hating him.
                When your opponents hate you, you must be doing something right. Ask LeBron
                The big problem with him according to Pacers fans is his inconsistency on the offensive end and that he doesn't like getting benched. If Casey doesn't give him good minutes, I think Tyler will have major conflicts with him.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                  The big problem with him according to Pacers fans is his inconsistency on the offensive end and that he doesn't like getting benched. If Casey doesn't give him good minutes, I think Tyler will have major conflicts with him.
                  If he ever finds his midrange jumper again and add to his post skills, he's capable of being a regular starter in the NBA. But he's here mainly for his blood and guts. I hope he's not starting over Amir or Jonas, but he's going to get good minutes for sure, or else he wouldn't have signed.

Comment

• I strongly dislike him as a player, but I like Raptor wins more than I dislike Tyler Hansbrough, and he's a guy who will produce some wins out of the backup PF spot, and is an acceptable starter alternative if Amir or JV gets hurt for a few games. I can live with this.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                      U got it. Only one person on the bucket list though so matt's off.
                      Please put me back. Please.

Comment

• tkfu wrote: View Post
                        I strongly dislike him as a player, but I like Raptor wins more than I dislike Tyler Hansbrough, and he's a guy who will produce some wins out of the backup PF spot, and is an acceptable starter alternative if Amir or JV gets hurt for a few games. I can live with this.
                        same here... I don't like psychos
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• I've always wished Tyler was a Raptor. He is so aggravating to play against. He just doesn't stop. I was gonna say I like his "GAME" but I do agree.... he doesn't have one. I love the pick up.

This to me proves there is a commitment to defense. He is just going to shut down his man, and hustle. Set picks, rebound the ball. That is what we HAVE always needed. We have to many people at the 3 point line, and not enough in the paint. I like the direction we are going in.

Comment

• RepRaptorsintheUSA wrote: View Post
                            We have to many people at the 3 point line, and not enough in the paint. I like the direction we are going in.
                            HUH? I can't say I agree with the bold. Can you extrapolate?
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• If I've learned anything from TKFU over the last two weeks, then Hansbrough's second year better not be a "team option" but rather non-guaranteed.

Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of Tyler, but the contract seems pretty decent. I'm not going to evaluate him as a raptor. I don't mind players that try to see what they get away with, but I don't like players that intentionally try to injure others. I think the JV take down was only a big deal because of the hand injury, otherwise falls like that are pretty common. I'm not sure if Hansbrough was aware of the injury and or not. If he wasn't aware of the injury, then it's still a foul that wasn't called, but I'm not going to hate on T for that. If he know about the injury and he threw him down hoping to re-injure his hand, than that is a player I don't want on my team, even if that player helps us win.

I do think that Frank Vogel did a decent job of containing the pyscho and putting it to good use, hopefully Casey can help him channel that energy in a similar way.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

Interesting. Hopefully, he can have the same impact here
                                Not to ruin the fun and all, but given the Pacers overall record of 60.5 and 63.6 the year before, those numbers aren't exactly a compliment to Hansborough.

Comment

Working...
                                X