Ujiri: He'd Be "Comfortable" Beginning Season With This Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapko wrote: View Post
    Why the hell would you buy him out? He wants to go to a contender. If a contender wants him -we need something.
    If he does not report, suspend his ass. I don't think he wants to spend his last year in NBA on injury or suspended list.
    I don't know exactly how a buy out works, BUT I believe our resident CBA expert Matt52, pointed out that if you buy a player out, you only are stuck with a cap hit of the buy-out figure. Which means that if Camby wants to be bought out for 1-2 million, you can save A LOT of cap space.

If he wants to be bought out for more, then you sit him on the bench/suspend him.

But I'm not as anti-Camby as some are. He's in his last years and was really expecting to be part of a Knicks team that challenged for a championship. Allowing his disappointment to be seen publicly is a faux pas, but that disappointment wasn't directly AT toronto, but AT not being part of a contender. He will suck it up, and either mend fences with toronto, or agree to a buy out/trade on Ujiri's terms.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

Team option on Hansborough for second year means Masai is still busy creating flexibility.
      That better be a "non-guaranteed" second year as opposed to a "team option"
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        I don't know exactly how a buy out works, BUT I believe our resident CBA expert Matt52, pointed out that if you buy a player out, you only are stuck with a cap hit of the buy-out figure. Which means that if Camby wants to be bought out for 1-2 million, you can save A LOT of cap space.

If he wants to be bought out for more, then you sit him on the bench/suspend him.

But I'm not as anti-Camby as some are. He's in his last years and was really expecting to be part of a Knicks team that challenged for a championship. Allowing his disappointment to be seen publicly is a faux pas, but that disappointment wasn't directly AT toronto, but AT not being part of a contender. He will suck it up, and either mend fences with toronto, or agree to a buy out/trade on Ujiri's terms.
        I'm not one to doubt Matt52 when it comes to cap issues, but I think he may be off on this one. I'm pretty sure on a buy out the team's cap hit is still the full amount of whatever a player is guaranteed. So in the case of Camby the Raptors would still be responsible, on the salary cap, for 4.4 mil this season and then 1 mil (?) next season.

From CBA FAQ (#66)

Any guaranteed salary still owed to the player as the result of a buyout continues to be included in team salary, just as with any waived player
        But I may be intepretting that wrong. Maybe Coon means the amount guaranteed under the buyout, although I don't think so.

To the original post. Just to play a little devil's advocate, Masai would have gained more financial flexibility through amnestying Bargnani than trading him in this deal. This year it would have meant little because the team would have been over the cap regardless, but it would have freed up approx 4.5 mil more in cap space (as the roster stands + waiving/buying out Camby and QR).

The trade ofcourse netted this team some picks, and a partially useful player in Novak so obviously there is more too it. But in terms of pure financial flexibility it was a downgrade from amnestying Bargnani.
        Last edited by Craiger; Wed Jul 10, 2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
          That better be a "non-guaranteed" second year as opposed to a "team option"
          As has already been said in other threads about this kind of deal, first reports often get that kind of thing wrong....so here's hoping it's the former.

$3 million is a bit high for me, but only because I wanted the Raps to use 3-4 million to go after Chauncey. I want Chauncey!

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            I'm not one to doubt Matt52 when it comes to cap issues, but I think he may be off on this one. I'm pretty sure on a buy out the team's cap hit is still the full amount of whatever a player is guaranteed. So in the case of Camby the Raptors would still be responsible, on the salary cap, for 4.4 mil this season and then 1 mil (?) next season.

From CBA FAQ (#66)

But I may be intepretting that wrong. Maybe Coon means the amount guaranteed under the buyout, although I don't think so.

To the original post. Just to play a little devil's advocate, Masai would have gained more financial flexibility through amnestying Bargnani than trading him in this deal. This year it would have meant little because the team would have been over the cap regardless, but it would have freed up approx 4.5 mil more in cap space (as the roster stands + waiving/buying out Camby and QR).

The trade ofcourse netted this team some picks, and a partially useful player in Novak so obviously there is more too it. But in terms of pure financial flexibility it was a downgrade from amnestying Bargnani.
            I think the way I had it is correct. Lets look at Aaron Brooks and the Sacramento Kings last year:

From March 1, 2013:

The Kings completed a contract buy out with guard Aaron Brooks on Friday, a move that makes him eligible for the playoffs should he sign with another team before the end of the regular season.
            Brooks, 28, signed a two-year contract worth $6.6 million with the Kings last summer, which included a player option for 2013-14.

http://nba.si.com/2013/03/01/aaron-b...tract-release/
            So average of $3.3M per season. Player option for 2013-14.

Based on HoopsWorld.com salary pages we see:

in 2012-13 he had a cap hit of $2.575M,

in 2013-14 he has a cap hit of $675K.

The bold is correct.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I think the way I had it is correct. Lets look at Aaron Brooks and the Sacramento Kings last year:

From March 1, 2013:

So average of $3.3M per season. Player option for 2013-14.

Based on HoopsWorld.com salary pages we see:

in 2012-13 he had a cap hit of $2.575M,

in 2013-14 he has a cap hit of $675K.

The bold is correct.
              Reading a bit further into the CBA FAQ I think you are correct. So I'll stick with my not doubting you on cap issues (to often )

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                Reading a bit further into the CBA FAQ I think you are correct. So I'll stick with my not doubting you on cap issues (to often )
                Please don't. I've been corrected more than once.

Comment

probably going to merge this with something else shortly but for now....
                  ----------------------------2013--------- 2014 ---------- 2015

Quentin Richardson ---------1.4m ---------*1.45m-------- *1.5m
                  Julyan Stone----------------800k ---------*900k
                  Steve Novak----------------3.75m---------3.45m--------- 3.75m
                  Marcus Camby--------------4.4m----------*4.3m
                  Tyler Hansborough-----------2.5m----------2.5m

* = non guaranteed

Pyscho Ts salary is an estimate based off of tweets suggesting "part of the MLE was used to sign him"

1.) Nothing here is untradeable
                  2.) Everyone has a specific skillset
                  3.) Only one of these toys with the notion of "upside"
                  You could actually trade everybody else and play that lineup (plus JV) as your starters to ensure that you got a top 3 pick in 2014. Nobody could top that tank.

Comment

Ujiri: He'd Be "Comfortable" Beginning Season With This Roster

Quite an interesting thread, fellow mods and admins, please merge if feel the need too, but this tweet is very interesting. Videos and more quotes to be updated as they are uploaded later on.

If Ujiri truly feels comfortable starting the season with this team, it seems obvious to me, that the Raptors are re-tooling.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I told you guys. Ujiri is a master retooler, he's not with that tanking BS

Comment

Point of view from Eric Koreen:

Comment

Woop. Ya beat me to it!

Comment

For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X