Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeMar's 3 pt shot (and what it means for the Raptors)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xixak wrote: View Post
    Replies in bold.

Exactly this, how the hell do the number of minutes a player has played affect their ability to improve shooting? Players don't improve their 3 ball during games lmao.
    Helpful suggestion: don't put your replies in with the quote of the post you are referencing. When someone else tries to reply to your thoughts, they don't come up in "reply with quote."

I'm all for a difference of opinion but you have some inaccuracies in your post:

DD took 1.5 3pt attempts this year AND last year. This was NOT the first year he took a 'high volume' of 3s.

What you showed was somewhat accurate with Ellis but not accurate with Rip. Hamilton had a low volume/HIGH percentage early in his career. Hamilton shot 36% and 38% early in his career on low volume (1.1 and 0.7 attempts per game). He still showed an ability to hit the shot regardless of volume; DeRozan has come nowhere close to showing he can hit threes consistently regardless of volume.

DD is going to be 24 in a month. Another step closer to shedding the 'potential' label.

Oladipo has good mechanics. DeRozan does not. The NCAA three is 20'9" where as the NBA is 22" in corners and 23'9" at break - big difference. And you are right it is not the best example.

Rip was a good 3 point shooter early in his career on low volume.

You seem to be ignoring where I've already said DeRozan COULD improve dramatically however the PROBABILITIES are significantly stacked against him. The players you listed are the exception to the rule however Rip does not qualify and James has never shot lower than 29% from 3 in his career (rookie season).

You are new here. Trust me the discussion has been had before and the evidence you have presented is incomplete at best, in my opinion.

Your last bold is exactly the type of response that has significantly lowered the quality of discussion of late... "please stop talking" is for the playground.

Comment

• well said.

cant be ray allen overnight. or over a year.

but here's hoping that he's a legit threat from outside. throw in amir's new 18 footer, and the raps will kill it.

tkfu wrote: View Post
      100% agreed. If DeMar was a threat from 3, the Raptors are a completely different team.

There aren't many players who have managed to improve their range shooting dramatically this late in their careers, though. Jump shooting percentages have a lot of variance year-to-year, more than any other box score stat, but it's exceedingly rare for a guy to go from being as bad as DeMar has been to even decent. I hope he beats the odds (and it seems like he's got the work ethic to have a chance), but I expect him not to.
      Protocall
      https://www.youtube.com/user/PTC204
      http://www.ptc204.com

Uploaded a new track: Please like or comment on it if you dig it! Thanks
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAT4s_LO-rc

The best day of 2013 was the day I found out Andrea Bargnani got traded.

Comment

• @Raptors: .@DeMar_DeRozan patiently waiting for #Raptors Summer League practice to wrap so he can get up some shots. #RTZ http://t.co/v2BQU3Yn0i

Always working!
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          @Raptors: .@DeMar_DeRozan patiently waiting for #Raptors Summer League practice to wrap so he can get up some shots. #RTZ http://t.co/v2BQU3Yn0i

Always working!
          Nice to see. But the improvements that i want to see from DeMar is not his 3pt shooting. I mean, don't get me wrong it would be nice if he can be a 30-35% 3pt shooter next season. I'm not banking on it though.

What i want to see from DeMar is i want to see him finish plays with authority. Enough of the soft ass plays, dunk the ball with authority, drive HARD to the basket, FINISH plays consistently.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• demar will be playing in drew league. games arent broadcasted, not recorded like a dleague game would, but there are often videos that do show up on youtube. so might want to check that out. he will be playing with money gang

Comment

• Ladies and gentlemen of the Raptors Republic forum DeRozan has become the new Bargnani.... And that's just sad.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                Ladies and gentlemen of the Raptors Republic forum DeRozan has become the new Bargnani.... And that's just sad.
                Yup. And if DeRozan was moved, someone else would take that spot. BC gone, AB gone, coaching and scouting staff revamped, but who is next? The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round..............

Comment

• I think the last thing to do is to get rid of Jack Armstrong.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                    Yup. And if DeRozan was moved, someone else would take that spot. BC gone, AB gone, coaching and scouting staff revamped, but who is next? The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round..............
                    DeMar is traded kills it on some other team wow hes so good now wow hes an all star why on Earth did we trade him I hate Ujiri *Bitch and moan We have Wiggins on the team Wow Wiggins go to the hoop you are so soft come on hit 3s! wow Wiggins develop some handles bro wtf!!!

Bottom line fans are never ever happy with anything look at Lebron best complete player in the league efficiency machine gets Hammered by ridicule.

Comment

• If you're satisfied by mediocrity, that's cool. But to improve constantly -- as a perennially bottom-feeding team like the Raptors must do -- you need to address your weaknesses one at a time. The biggest weakness has been dealt with. Now it's on to other weak points, like Demar as a starting SG who currently is a very poor 3-point shooter (a necessary skill for an elite SG in this day and age).

Critics moving on to the next priority on the list is not hating. It's wanting your team to be better and realizing the areas it needs to improve.
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                        If you're satisfied by mediocrity, that's cool. But to improve constantly -- as a perennially bottom-feeding team like the Raptors must do -- you need to address your weaknesses one at a time. The biggest weakness has been dealt with. Now it's on to other weak points, like Demar as a starting SG who currently is a very poor 3-point shooter (a necessary skill for an elite SG in this day and age).

Critics moving on to the next priority on the list is not hating. It's wanting your team to be better and realizing the areas it needs to improve.
                        Is there any way we can have this post framed and placed on the front door of every Raps fan's house?

Well done.

Comment

• What is T-Ross's 3-pt percentage for year 1?

Comment

• A necessary skill for an SG the league isnt so A-typical anymore we have fours that dont rebound Centers that are 6-8 PGs that cant shoot but run an offense well. Thats a moot point... and of the SGs above DeRozan not many are good shooters that hit the 3 at a good clip and cant even hit the mid range as well as DeMar, so again whats your point?

We move DeMar Ross takes his place cool still incredibly raw and streaky, Fields great a guy that has no offense at all.

Comment

• Fair enough, DeRozan doesn't have to be the one to improve his stroke. But three things:

1. Somebody has to. The Raptors' spacing is so bad, Amir has resorted to working on and taking long jumpers. (But you're still right. I'd much prefer to count on Rudy Gay to hit threes next season. He's much more likely anyway; he's never shot worse than 31% from three.)

2. Being able to hit the three would open up his driving game so much. As it stands, he takes a ton of atrocious long twos because he gets so much space. Just because we want him to have a dependable three point stroke doesn't mean we want him to play like late career Ray Allen. A few people mentioned it a couple pages back, but all he would really have to do is be able to hit ~35% of 3-4 threes a game and all his driving lanes would open up.

3. If DeRozan had a three point stroke, how much easier would it be for other players to hit open jumpers against collapsing defences? Amir is improving. Lowry can hit threes. Valanciunas (in his small sample size) has shown a pretty good jumper. Too bad I don't have access to synergy or I'd pull every Raptor player's wide open jumper percentages. Ironically, if DeRozan had a three point stroke, he could create spacing more frequently with his drive.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                                A necessary skill for an SG the league isnt so A-typical anymore we have fours that dont rebound Centers that are 6-8 PGs that cant shoot but run an offense well. Thats a moot point... and of the SGs above DeRozan not many are good shooters that hit the 3 at a good clip and cant even hit the mid range as well as DeMar, so again whats your point?

We move DeMar Ross takes his place cool still incredibly raw and streaky, Fields great a guy that has no offense at all.
                                Pointing out that the Raptors don't currently have a superior alternative for starting SG, isn't justification for being satisfied with DeRozan; the two points are mutually exclusive.

DeRozan is a 4-year veteran starter making $9.5M per season, who has an attrocious 3pt shot, is a poor defender, has trouble consistently using his dribble to penetrate on ISO's, and relies primarily on the statistically worst shot in basketball for his scoring. He is the epitome of an inefficient, volume scorer on a bad team.

As Raptors fans, we all hope he makes significant improvements this year, after failing to do so the past few seasons. As Raptors fans, we should also raise our standards for expectations of our players, especially a starter being paid 16.2% of the team's salary cap.

The fact that DeRozan has replaced Bargnani as the key focus of criticism from Raptors fans, should not be an indictment of the fans or proof that we're never happy. What it shows is that much like Raptors ownership/management, we are no longer satisfied simply having an NBA franchise to root for and expect a truly competitive team to be assembled. Too many fans (and some GMs, BC) place their own players on a pedistal and lose their objectivity. This is not a good team and most of our best players have serious flaws in their game, which again, speaks volumes as to why this team is not good. We fans should be more objective and more demanding, if we're serious about wanting to see our beloved team mentioned among the great, competitive and sustainable franchises in the league.
                                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 19, 2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X