No announcement yet.

Couldn't believe this when I saw it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basically what I am saying is, although we should be encouraged that they do well together, I would temper that with a nice dose of reality
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Many, including myself, have posted the reasons why this is likely an aberration. That said, if our five were an aberration, should there not be another aberration group? Of the top 15 ranked, all but us were not only playoff teams but top tier playoff teams. You have to fluke really hard to get that high on the list. Is it just the perfect storm of Rudy joining and Val returning at the same time as the schedule got softer and teams started resting/tanking? Maybe there is some gold in them thar hills. (yeah...fool's gold..I got it ) As much as the softer schedule can explain some of our wins, it doesn't have to explain our wins. We essentially had an entirely new team from Feb 1st on (rudy trade and JV back after 2 months). I'm wandering into the "tank or retool" thread but maybe Masai is holding still to see if this was only an aberration or if there may be something to it.

Comment

and why is it only 25 games? Rudy and JV both joined the team with 33 games left. JV was eased back in for a couple of games but that's it. Was AB getting all those minutes?

Comment

The issue wasn't the starters, it's the bench. Then you have to ask, "Do you have to move a starter to improve the bench?" And then you get to start the ugly "Which one do you move?" debate. The Raptors still have a question mark at backup PG, and no offense off the bench, unless Ross takes a huge leap.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
            Ok people, teams don't rest their starters for the final 25 games. Only in the final 5 games of the season did we play teams who were resting their best players for the playoffs.
            keep in mind at the end, toronto also started resting their starters in games as well.

Comment

I don't get all of the problems people have with this... That line up played better than their competition by a significant margin. Does that mean they are the fifth best sarting line up in the league? No, of course not, what it means is that they played reasonnably well together last year and we should be optimistic that they might play well again this year. The sample size is not bad, about a quarter per game for 25 games and even if it's against scrubs like some people are suggesting, it still shows that that particular line up was able to beat those scrubs badly, which is positive and hasn't been the case with our starters for the last few years. Think of it like this: What was the Raptors total point differential for those games per 100 possesions? I'm not sure but I'm going to guess it was negative. Now how much better than that base line was this line up?

I think it's a cool piece of data that gives us another reason to be optimistic.
              Last edited by hateslosing; Mon Jul 15, 2013, 03:45 PM.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

that's what I am saying. Be encouraged, just don't start planning the parade route
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                  that's what I am saying. Be encouraged, just don't start planning the parade route
                  I don't think anybody is planning any parades, and few, if any, think the team as it sits right now (particularly with the low level of experience of key pieces) is a championship team, but many want to see a winning team for a change, see promise in how keeping a young core (JV, Gay, DD, Lowry, Amir, Ross, Acy, Psycho T, Fields from 21-27 years old) may be just that. At this point, nobody knows how good they could be together with adequate time together, but the development of JV, Ross and others being far better served on a winning team, rather than a bottom feeder praying for lottery luck.

No matter the desired route, no championship is coming in the next couple of years, but building up the assets currently in the fold, then deciding which ones to move, and what's needed as return, is the balanced, see what we've got first approach that some see some promise in.

Comment

I've always said during the games that our starting line up is good enough for a contending team. Bench is the problem. Don't you remmember games and the pattern in every of them? 1st quarter, starters go for 28 point 12 minutes, Raps lead. 2nd quarter, bench plays and starters rest, we get blown out. 4th quarter, close but cannot close it out because of various reasons, coaching... etc... but mainly becaues of our bench.
                    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                      I've always said during the games that our starting line up is good enough for a contending team. Bench is the problem. Don't you remmember games and the pattern in every of them? 1st quarter, starters go for 28 point 12 minutes, Raps lead. 2nd quarter, bench plays and starters rest, we get blown out. 4th quarter, close but cannot close it out because of various reasons, coaching... etc... but mainly becaues of our bench.
                      I remember the opposite happening a lot though as well ... dig ourselves a 10-15 point deficit by the end of the first quarter, and spend the rest of the game fighting our way back, only to lose by 2 points. UGH. Lol.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        I remember the opposite happening a lot though as well ... dig ourselves a 10-15 point deficit by the end of the first quarter, and spend the rest of the game fighting our way back, only to lose by 2 points. UGH. Lol.
                        I totally agree, we were horrendous in the first quarter most of last year.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          343 minutes is worth ten games not 25
                          The minutes were accumulated over a 25 game period. Your logic escapes me.

Comment

if JV becomes an allstar centre and demar improves his 3pt shot then the raps will be a contender . I Predict the raps will win a championship in 5 years
                            ya dun noe

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              There should be a "like this avatar" button. Nice change.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                                Some people on here are impossible to please. So quick so prove our optimism wrong with advanced stats that show we suck but when the stats show that's not true... somehow we still suck lol
                                I'm not impossible to please. All stats aren't equal and I don't put much stock in this one. But I think Gay/Lowry/Demar/Johnson/Val lineup is the least embarrassing one we've have had in awhile, and it can only be better next year. That said, I still don't like it's chances against the best five on a legitimate playoff team in a meaningful game.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X