Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Tyler Hansbrough start?

1.) His per 36 last season

15 points would expect as much as 18 here as he had no role in the Indiana attack

10 rebounds (would likely stay the same)

8 FTAs a game would put the opposing team in a lot of foul trouble considering Jonas is quite good as drawing fouls as well.

2.) Amir would still play starters minutes of between 28 - 35 a game between PF and C, and he plays just as well off the bench as he does as a starter.

3.) Better to let him put the hurt on the other teams starters instead of their bench.

4.) I don't think he can play the 5 effectively which means if he is the backup 4 his minutes would likely shrink to 15 - 20.

5.) If he gets in foul trouble you can always go to Amir. If Amir gets into foul trouble starting, Jonas has to play extended minutes or the raptors have to go small.

I'm not married to this theory yet I am just wondering if anyone else sees value in going this direction?
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

also before anyone freaks out about me saying 18, I see that as the best he could do based on hitting 75% of the 8 free throw attempts, getting put backs off offensive rebounds, and a couple of 10 to 15 footers a game.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Putting aside trying to project production....

-I very much like the idea of Tyler bringing his energy off the bench

-Similar to how you say Amir would still play starter's minutes, there's nothing keeping him from doing the same

-I like Amir starting defensively next to Jonas. Hansbrough's ok defensively, but Amir/JV provides a longer, more athletic starting frontcourt that should help establish the defensive tone Casey wants.

-I actually like the idea of Tyler's limited offense off the bench. He rebounds hard on the offensive end (good for if/when things get sloppy). He plays with energy which will catch some bench bigs sleeping. Should also be some opportunity for touches on the 2nd unit, since Gay, DeMar, Lowry and JV will eat up all the touches on the starter's unit. He doesn't need a lot of touches, but he does have some post moves to put to use....And that actually works for both guys, since Amir works best off the ball and is thus a great fit on the first unit.

*As for production (just for fun). I think regardless of first/second unit, they could maybe get something like 11-13 pts and about 6 boards from Hansbrough in 25 mpg.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Jul 15, 2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

i think the best place is bench for him. he comes in for either jonas or amir and the team adapts to it. also everything that mr.t is good at so is amir so it's kind of a wash. i would rather reward amir for his hard work and sacrifice then just hand his job to someone else. of course it will all come down to earninig it in the end.

i am actually really excited to see amirs' 18 footer.

Comment

I like his response in his interview, paraphrasing:

No expectations.
          Going to go all out in training camp.
          What happens happens.

Comment

His offense is pretty bad and his defense is only passable in a vacuum. The value of Hansbrough is that he can completely shift the flow of a game on any given night with his energy. Those type of players are made for off the bench.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
              His offense is pretty bad and his defense is only passable in a vacuum. The value of Hansbrough is that he can completely shift the flow of a game on any given night with his energy. Those type of players are made for off the bench.
              Bingo

Hansbrough is the type of guy where you basically throw ANALYTICS out the window because there's no way to measure (yet!) being a pest and getting under players' skin.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                Bingo

Hansbrough is the type of guy where you basically throw ANALYTICS out the window because there's no way to measure (yet!) being a pest and getting under players' skin.
                Yet he does have some nice advanced stats:

WP48 .13

PPP 1.40

FTA/48 10.5 (more than double average PF)

Comment

Are there any other NC fans here? Tyler can play. This is a great signing and he will become a super raptor. Guy spills blood for the colours he wears. If he were a crip there wouldn't be bloods anymore.

Wiki him and look at his college numbers, you don't score like that without being able to put the ball in the hoop.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    Are there any other NC fans here? Tyler can play. This is a great signing and he will become a super raptor. Guy spills blood for the colours he wears. If he were a crip there wouldn't be bloods anymore.

Wiki him and look at his college numbers, you don't score like that without being able to put the ball in the hoop.
                    I think he is somewhat underrated.

However, there is a significant jump in athleticism and size from college to the NBA. I think that has hurt him relative to his college numbers.

Comment

I love Amir too much to not let him start. He Deserves it 100%, Amir has earned it so Tyler has to earn it too. D Case is not going to pull amir from the starting lineup unless Psycho T goes off and starting putting up monster numbers off the bench.

Comment

3rd big. With how aggressive he plays, he might be better in just short stints.

However, this team has always had problems starting games, 1st quarters are brutal to watch. Start him if you really want to, but only for a good spurt... still give the majority of the minutes to Amir.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

there are 96 minutes available in the big rotation.

JV - 36
                          Amir - 30
                          Hans - 30

should be about right give or take.

Comment

I say use Amir for backup because he is more naturally inclined to play center (although he is still clearly a 4). So (and please don't take this as gospel it's a god damn example people, and I know how you love to see examples and start shitting on them as though they are stated fact) If Taylor and JV start, Amir can come in at the 6 minute mark play with JV until JV needs a breather then Taylor can come back out and Amir can slide to the 5. It's the versatility of Amir that makes him the better backup. Hansbrough is a straight up 4.

Comment

also consider our starting unit. Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, are all offensive players, JV is two way, and Amir has a more developed offensive game than Pyscho Killer Quest Que Ce. Fa fa fa fa fa far better. run run run run run run run awwwwaaayyyy. Sorry I got side tracked. Point being give your second unit an offensive burst. Also if Taylor don't call me Hansen or you'll regret Hansbrough, is so good at drawing fouls, in fact something he is elite at, don't we want him getting the other teams starters in foul trouble. So if Taylor How am I funny? Funny how? What am I clown do I amuse you? Hansbrough I ughh...I actually don't have another point here I just wanted to use that nick name.

Comment

Working...
                              X