No announcement yet.

Should Tyler Hansbrough start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually don't care who start either but either way TH will automatically have at least 10 mins more a game than he did in Indianna. I don't think Jonas will playe 35+ mins a game. I see home right around 30 minutes a game, same with Amir. Remember Novak will have minute at the 3 and 4.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Damn! If you won't decide between Amir and Tyler, I'll be forced to tell D.C. to start Steve Novak! lol
      (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

For me the argument isn't whose the better player, it's what line ups are going to give us the best chance of success. Sometimes your most talented 5 isn't your starting 5.

I'm a huge Amir homer, and it's difficult for me to get past that, although I'm trying. I will say this, though, based on Amir's play the last year he has earned the starter's spot. Doesn't mean, that Tyler can't take it away from him, or that Casey can't decide that the team is better bringing Amir off the bench (even if he is the better player), but the starter's spot is Amir's to lose. It's not about "anointing" him, it's about recognizing his talent and production. Which is pretty descent. Although he's close, I personally I think Amir has yet to reach his ceiling. He's only logged 9022 minutes so he's got about 30 games at 30 minutes before he hits the magic 10,000. I think that ceiling is a legitimate starter in this league.

I have no problem with them Tyler and Amir fighting it out for the starters job, but Tyler has to beat Amir, not the other way around. I don't care about who starts, or even who the better player is. I care about using the line ups effectively to give us the best odds of winning.

Personally, I think Hansbrough makes more sense coming off the bench based on his aggressiveness and his ability to energize.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Amir should start next to JV. He has the better jumper from the high post and will help space better for JV down low. Psycho-T should slide into the 4 spot off the bench and have Amir slide to the 5 while JV rests. Either way we have 3 high motor bigs who should be able to keep plays alive. We should get more offensive rebounds this season, which is necessary for our high volume low efficiency wing scorers.

When JV checks back in, I do worry about how well he and Hansborough will play together. Both are board bangers but will they get in each others space too much? They are smart guys and will likely figure it out, but if I'm the coaching staff that is my biggest worry down low. JV's development on the block is paramount to our team's success in the future.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

interesting question
            with tyler starting we give up defence, but increase the chances of early foul trouble on the other team which could give us a lot of momentum
            amir is productive either way but I think it matters how much val has improved on d/ tylers ability to hit the jumper to space the floor

Comment

Is anyone else more than a little concerned that some of the crap he got away with in Indy was because of Indy's reputation(toughness)? and that in a raptors jersey the refs are going to strangle him with the whistle?(metaphorically of course.)

Although watching dick bavetta turn his whistle into a make-shift garotte, would be hilarious...

Comment

I hope Tyler's energy and peskiness rubs off on JV, so he can learn how to be a scumbag too.
                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                  Pooka we are essentially saying pretty damn close to the same thing. About earning it over deserving it. I was more responding to the sentiment that Amir Johnson works hard and deserves it that permeates a lot of the discussions and that was raised by a couple people in this thread about him working hard, and loyalty etc...
                  No worries, and my apologies for the aggressive tone.

Comment

SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
                    Is anyone else more than a little concerned that some of the crap he got away with in Indy was because of Indy's reputation(toughness)? and that in a raptors jersey the refs are going to strangle him with the whistle?(metaphorically of course.)

Although watching dick bavetta turn his whistle into a make-shift garotte, would be hilarious...
                    I'm feeling the opposite might happen. He may help set a tough reputation for the Raptors, and even set a benchmark for teammates not getting so many ticky-tacky calls against.

Comment

Yes! I am a UNC grad and fan of UNC men's basketball and women's soccer. (The Lady Tar Heels are once again defending NCAA champs). If Tyler starts, you will be amazed at how many ways--big and little--he influences the game. He will be a positive force on the court because he never gives up. There is a reason he is still the ACC all-time scoring leader and won a national championship. Tyler is one reason among many that the Pacers went to the Eastern Conference Finals last season.

Based on past numbers, Hansbrough could average 16 points and 8 rebounds as a starter. Last season with the Pacers, he had to improve his rebounding, which he did. Now he has to improve his jump shot, which he mentioned in an interview. At UNC, he shot from close to the chest, but now shoots from over his head on the jumper, so it still needs more work, and more importantly, the confidence to shoot it. Also, he can run the fast break. For the last two years I watched him run down the floor on the break, only to fail to have the ball passed to him by the Pacers' point guards. I bet Kyle Lowry will learn to do that in the first month.

Because he is so aggressive under the basket, expect him to get blocked about once per game. Also, he is a streak shooter, so the more touches he gets, the more efficient he becomes. It's really important for the guards to get him the ball in rhythm.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                        I'm feeling the opposite might happen. He may help set a tough reputation for the Raptors, and even set a benchmark for teammates not getting so many ticky-tacky calls against.
                        I hope so.

Raptors led league in fouls last year with 83 more than 2nd place GSW.

They also had a differential of 286.

Part of the blame goes to coaching strategy, poor individual defense, and a lack of execution on defensive rotations but there is a huge discrepancy relative the rest of the league.

Comment

Amir Johnson is the better all around defender. JV needs a good defender next to him. He just does get it yet. His going to need help.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Amir Johnson is the better all around defender. JV needs a good defender next to him. He just does get it yet. His going to need help.
                            More importantly, that defender next to him has to have good help D qualities....That is Amir more than it is Tyler.

And I really think Tyler is a better fit offensively on the 2nd unit. He needs a couple of touches in the post. I'm not saying he has a great post game, but unlike Amir, he does a good job attacking the basket with the ball in his hands. That's one reason he gets good FT numbers. The other reason for the latter is that he is relentless attacking the offensive glass. Again, he's the ideal player for when things get sloppy, which I expect more with the bench unit. He'll get us free throws and putbacks.

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
                              Yes! I am a UNC grad and fan of UNC men's basketball and women's soccer. (The Lady Tar Heels are once again defending NCAA champs). If Tyler starts, you will be amazed at how many ways--big and little--he influences the game. He will be a positive force on the court because he never gives up. There is a reason he is still the ACC all-time scoring leader and won a national championship. Tyler is one reason among many that the Pacers went to the Eastern Conference Finals last season.

Based on past numbers, Hansbrough could average 16 points and 8 rebounds as a starter. Last season with the Pacers, he had to improve his rebounding, which he did. Now he has to improve his jump shot, which he mentioned in an interview. At UNC, he shot from close to the chest, but now shoots from over his head on the jumper, so it still needs more work, and more importantly, the confidence to shoot it. Also, he can run the fast break. For the last two years I watched him run down the floor on the break, only to fail to have the ball passed to him by the Pacers' point guards. I bet Kyle Lowry will learn to do that in the first month.

Because he is so aggressive under the basket, expect him to get blocked about once per game. Also, he is a streak shooter, so the more touches he gets, the more efficient he becomes. It's really important for the guards to get him the ball in rhythm.
                              Thanks for the insight Caccia! Appreciate the insider information. Great first post.
                              Welcome to the Board!

This is a great point about TH being the ACC all-time leading scorer. He certainly knows how to put the ball in the hoop; he's just learned that in order to be truely effective in this league, teams aren't going to look to him to score as a 1st or 2nd option like his was at UNC.

Comment

d749 wrote: View Post
                                interesting question
                                with tyler starting we give up defence, but increase the chances of early foul trouble on the other team which could give us a lot of momentum
                                amir is productive either way but I think it matters how much val has improved on d/ tylers ability to hit the jumper to space the floor
                                Also a great point. Foul trouble dictates games more often then not.
                                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                                X