No announcement yet.

Raptors - a playoff team in 2013-14?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not saying they will because I've learned to set myself up for the least disappointment with this team. However, they definitely should make the playoffs this year. With an improved JV, and that's an assumption (but realistically how could he not be improved), and the loss of Bargs this team should make the playoffs. With the additions of Hansborough, Novak, and Augustin to help the bench, then in my mind there is absolutely no excuse for not making the playoffs. None of additions can be considered great, but combined it should help the bench enough to be consistently effective night in and night out. Our starters are pretty good, and if they can play D and gain some chemistry, then this team can compete for a middle of the pack playoff position, well, 5 at best.

If they don't, well, my opinion is there are some serious issues with the coaching staff and upper management. There is enough talent and skill on the floor to produce something worth cheering for. If they can't get that out of these guys then its not much odds about em!!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      You're main points make it seem as though Toronto exists in a vacuum and no other teams made any improvements and/or changes in the offseason.

PLAYOFF SURE THINGS: TOP 4 SEEDS
      Miami - 2 time NBA champions, just as good
      Indiana - conference finalists, minor moves to improve their team
      Chicago - playoff team, Rose coming back fully healthy, bench improved
      Brooklyn - playoff team, major moves significantly improved their team

PLAYOFF BUBBLE TEAMS: #5-12 SEEDS
      NY - playoff team, should be just as good at least, improved if less injuries than last season
      Atlanta - playoff team, good plan-B retooling, need time to gel, could even be better than last season
      Milwaukee - playoff team, lots of retooling, should still be on the bubble
      Boston - playoff team, taking a step back (tanking if Rondo is out for long and/or traded), still have some decent players
      Cleveland - Irving is a stud, loaded with young talent, Varejao should be healthy, looking to land even more proven talent
      Washington - were a solid team when Wall was healthy, young players have more experience and even more talent was added
      Toronto - Gay in for full season, improved depth, lots of young talent, loss of Calderon/Bargnani improves team defense
      Detroit - dominant front court, some good young talent

LOTTERY TEAMS: #13-15 SEEDS
      Charlotte - say they want to compete and signed an aging Jefferson, but still likely on the outside looking in
      Orlando - doing a proper rebuild from the ground up, some good young talent, still a year or two away from competing
      Philly - nice tank job

I can't see how any fan can consider the playoffs a 'sure thing' for the Raptors this season. The first half will be very interesting to watch, to determine whether MU looks to retooling (push for playoffs now, with future still at the forefront of team building) or tanking (goodbye 2013-14 season, hello 2014 draft & offseason).
      Well I asked for someone to please explain and you have done the best possible job. Thank you very much. I did not forget about the moves other teams made, however, I can say that some of the teams you mentioned, IE: Bucks, Knicks, Detroit, Atlanta & even Boston will have to fight hard to make it in my opinion.

I was taking into consideration that our team basically remained the same for the first time in how many years? I think since forever? The starting lineup at least. There is consistency there for the first time in a long time. But I do get your points. nothing is guaranteed in sports. So I will say this in my opinion only! "Raptors are in the best position they have ever been to make the playoffs since winning the Division many moons back!"

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
        Not really.

Why do you think its not a playoff team?
        O sorry I misread you I thought you said it doesnt look like a playoff team.

Comment

I can see this team finishing anywhere from 7th to 11th. Valanciunas needs to be awesome. They need a bunch of career years from guys like Gay and Derozn and Lowry. I don't think it will take much for this to go off the rails.

On the positive side, I suspect we're going to have a really good idea about this team relatively quickly (within 15 games or so). There hasn't been much turnover, the starters all return intact, and the additions are all limited role players.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
            Well I asked for someone to please explain and you have done the best possible job. Thank you very much. I did not forget about the moves other teams made, however, I can say that some of the teams you mentioned, IE: Bucks, Knicks, Detroit, Atlanta & even Boston will have to fight hard to make it in my opinion.
            I don't think Boston has a shot even if they don't trade Rondo, unless Kelly Olynyk actually makes a serious rookie-of-the-year bid. And the Bucks are going to be a desperate grind-out-the-8th-seed team if they're anything.

On the other hand, I think the Knicks and Atlanta are basically locks for the 5 and 6 seeds. The Knicks are still the Knicks: Carmelo, Tyson Chandler, Iman Shumpert and even Amar'e are all top quality players, Metta is a good defensive grinder, and I don't think having Bargs will make them suck THAT much worse, certainly not enough to knock them out of the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Hawks had the single best signing of the offseason when they snagged Paul Millsap for a bargain price - he's effectively Josh Smith except better at almost everything for less money - and their rookies, Dennis Schroeder and Lucas Nogiera, are looking NBA-ready already (although they'll most likely only be bench this season). Plus they still have Horford, Williams, Korver and probably Teague. Atlanta will be at least as good this year as they were last year, maybe even a little better, and last year they were an easy playoff team.

That leaves Toronto grinding it out with Detroit, Washington, Cleveland and Milwaukee for those final two spots, and every one of those is a straight-up fight. Everybody talks correctly about how Detroit has lousy spacing, and they do, but Dumars is addressing that as best he can by signing some okay bench shooters, and one good trade for a shooter (and Detroit can move Brandon Knight or Greg Monroe to get that) and Detroit gets dangerous in a hurry. Cleveland's fortunes will favor in part on how well Bynum can come back, but if he comes back at even 50% Bynum the Cavs will be very tough. Plus they have a reasonably good bench now, full of rookies and overperformers like Jarrett Jack. And Washington was already good in the second half of last year.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
              hehehe i think you misunderstood my post. I am in agreement that the Raptors does have a chance to make the playoffs this season.
              Yeah, I guess I did. Sorry about that. Because of it I got a written scolding from our mediator. lol Just kidding!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Your main points make it seem as though Toronto exists in a vacuum and no other teams made any improvements and/or changes in the offseason.

PLAYOFF SURE THINGS: TOP 4 SEEDS
                Miami - 2 time NBA champions, just as good
                Indiana - conference finalists, minor moves to improve their team
                Chicago - playoff team, Rose coming back fully healthy, bench improved
                Brooklyn - playoff team, major moves significantly improved their team

PLAYOFF BUBBLE TEAMS: #5-12 SEEDS
                NY - playoff team, should be just as good at least, improved if less injuries than last season
                Atlanta - playoff team, good plan-B retooling, need time to gel, could even be better than last season
                Milwaukee - playoff team, lots of retooling, should still be on the bubble
                Boston - playoff team, taking a step back (tanking if Rondo is out for long and/or traded), still have some decent players
                Cleveland - Irving is a stud, loaded with young talent, Varejao should be healthy, looking to land even more proven talent
                Washington - were a solid team when Wall was healthy, young players have more experience and even more talent was added
                Toronto - Gay in for full season, improved depth, lots of young talent, loss of Calderon/Bargnani improves team defense
                Detroit - dominant front court, some good young talent

LOTTERY TEAMS: #13-15 SEEDS
                Charlotte - say they want to compete and signed an aging Jefferson, but still likely on the outside looking in
                Orlando - doing a proper rebuild from the ground up, some good young talent, still a year or two away from competing
                Philly - nice tank job

* within each grouping, I did not list teams in any specific order

I can't see how any fan can consider the playoffs a 'sure thing' for the Raptors this season. The first half will be very interesting to watch, to determine whether MU looks to retooling (push for playoffs now, with future still at the forefront of team building) or tanking (goodbye 2013-14 season, hello 2014 draft & offseason).
                agreed. it always seems like some people don't pay attention to whats happening with the REST of the league and only pay attention to the raptors. we made some marginal improvements thats for sure. but other teams that were generally around the raptor-level of play have made much larger steps up in talent than we have now.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post

I was taking into consideration that our team basically remained the same for the first time in how many years? I think since forever? The starting lineup at least. There is consistency there for the first time in a long time. But I do get your points. nothing is guaranteed in sports. So I will say this in my opinion only! "Raptors are in the best position they have ever been to make the playoffs since winning the Division many moons back!"
                  why would the knicks and atlanta have to fight that hard? atlanta have made the playoffs for the past what, 6 years? and they only got better for next year.

Comment

2013-2014 Season: Toronto >>>>> Cleveland. In my opinion Cleveland is nearer the Bobcats group than playoffs because of this:
                    1) They are too young - only Irving and Varejao are really good at the moment, Waiters needs to be more consistent, Benett is a rookie (even LeBron didn't helped Cavs to win in his rookie season) J.Jack might have too much offensive pressure on him because of lack team's experience.
                    2) Both Irving and Varejao are quite of injury phrones.
                    3) Their bench is really worse than Toronto's
                    4) If I need to guess, they likely trade Varejao before the trade deadline to clear space for their young Canadian duo, that would make their front line even weaker for the second half of the season.

I'm considering Detroit and Washington as bigger threat to the Raptors, but with Valanciunas physical and game improvement and full season with Rudy we're better than they. Let's not forget our team chemistry - the current Raptors' core (Gay, DD, Lowry) spending lots of time together (had some workouts before summer league with Jonas and T-Ross).
                    Last edited by japetas; Fri Jul 19, 2013, 04:43 PM.
                    (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
                      2013-2014 Season: Toronto >>>>> Cleveland. In my opinion Cleveland is nearer the Bobcats group than playoffs because of this:
                      1) They are too young - only Irving and Varejao are really good at the moment, Waiters needs to be more consistent, Benett is a rookie (even LeBron didn't helped Cavs to win in his rookie season) J.Jack might have too much offensive pressure on him because of lack team's experience.
                      2) Both Irving and Varejao are quite of injury phrones.
                      3) Their bench is really worse than Toronto's
                      4) If I need to guess, they likely trade Varejao before the trade deadline to clear space for their young Canadian duo, that would make their front line even weaker for the second half of the season.

I'm considering Detroit and Washington as bigger threat to the Raptors, but with Valanciunas physical and game improvement and full season with Rudy we're better than they. Let's not forget our team chemistry - the current Raptors' core (Gay, DD, Lowry) spending lots of time together (had some workouts before summer league with Jonas and T-Ross).
                      Disagree.

Cavs should be good next year. The new coach will help them play D, which they were terrible at last year. Also, you forgot the huge x-factor, Bynum. That could change everything if he's even at 75% of what he was a couple years ago.

Irving is better than any player the Raps have. And their bench is going to be nice. Jack, Bennett, Varejao/Bynum (depending on who starts), Zeller, and CJ Miles. That's pretty decent.
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I liked CalgaryRapsFan's post minus Boston. I think they're done. Even if you look at them on paper and think they might squeak in, you have to understand that Ainge isn't messing around. If they start to so much as sniff the post-season, he'll make a move to push them back down again. Kind of.. well, kind of like what I'm hoping Ujiri will do.

If he doesn't, we'll be a 7-11 team for the next few years.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                          Disagree.

Cavs should be good next year. The new coach will help them play D, which they were terrible at last year. Also, you forgot the huge x-factor, Bynum. That could change everything if he's even at 75% of what he was a couple years ago.

Irving is better than any player the Raps have. And their bench is going to be nice. Jack, Bennett, Varejao/Bynum (depending on who starts), Zeller, and CJ Miles. That's pretty decent.
                          Yeah, my bad... I totally forgot about Bynum But he shouldn't stay healthy for a long and if he does, he probably won't play back-to-backs (just my speculations). Still think that the Raptors gonna top Cleveland in the final standings
                          (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

I think the playoffs are about 50-50 at the moment. The big question for me is how much of a jump JV makes. I think the raps go as far as JV takes them next year. The big problem I have is that I do not see any situation where they make it out of the first round. That is a HUGE problem for me. I want to WIN playoff series not just show up as a token opponent.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                              I think the playoffs are about 50-50 at the moment. The big question for me is how much of a jump JV makes. I think the raps go as far as JV takes them next year.
                              I'm a big JV fan and certainly his improvement (and I expect there will be a lot on his part) will help the team, but I don't think he's the lynchpin. I think Kyle's the lynchpin. Everybody on the team has a touch-heavy game and there are only so many touches to go around; you need a floor general to direct the team and Kyle has to show he can do that.

Comment

Toronto has a lot of positives entering this season:

- No Bargnani
                                - Kyle in a contract year
                                - No PG controversy
                                - JV's growth
                                - Arguably better bench
                                - not a lot of roster turnover
                                - DeRozan's prime
                                - Full season with Gay
                                - Casey potentially playing Casey-ball

But you can't look at that in a vacuum.

I think Detroit and Washington will all be better than Toronto. Milwaukee will be difficult (they are always coached well, and Sanders/Henson are a very good defensive pair). Boston will most likely tumble but even then they have Rondo and some decent players that could thrive. Cleveland has the potential to be scary - although if I had to take a guess they'll end up back in the lottery (Mike Brown is a bad coach and Bynum will be a bust).

The schedule though will play a big role in what happens to Toronto. It seems like Toronto always gets a sh!tty schedule to start the season, but that's what MU will be assessing. So despite the strength of their schedule, if they start of crappy (ie, below .500 after the first 20 games), I see MU pulling the plug on the season. Just a gut feeling.

Comment

Working...
                                X