No announcement yet.

I'm Holding You To This! : Bragging Rights Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All right all you prognosticators, clairvoyants, and stats junkies. This is your chance to earn achievements, accolades, awards (imaginary), and most importantly establish your credibility with teenagers and bored office drones everywhere.

1.) Who will be the most improved Raptor? i.e played here last season

Landry Fields. Mostly because he was essentially the worst player in NBA history last year (especially for the money) and I think he will be serviceable this year.
    Everyone is saying JV .. but he was pretty good last year .. the hype might be overblown .. its gonna be hard to live up to

2.) Pick one guy to be moved at the trade deadline.

DD or RG (DD most likely, but one will be gone)

3.) What will the season record be?

30-52

4.) Will they make the playoffs?
    no
    5.) What seed will they be?
    NA
    6.) How far will they go in the playoffs?
    NA
    7.) Who will the Raptors send to the all star game?
    No one .. but JV if anyone
    8.) Pick one rotation player that breaks out (guy 1 through 9 on the team)
    Hopefully TR when DD/RG gets traded .. but ill admit its hard to say that now.
    9.) Pick one rotation player who falls completely short of expectations
    Lowry. Buckys might ended up getting more time
    10.) Will Dwayne Casey be extended?
    no
    11.) How many times will Amir Johnson roll his ankle?
    many
    12.) Who will spend the most time on the bench in a suit due to injury?
    Lowry
    BONUS ROUND

1.) Surprise mid season pickup?
    Somone with an expiring contract - we will be tanking. Think Charlie V
    2.) Pick one deep bench guy that breaks out (guy 10 - 15)
    Dwight
    3.) If Dwayne Casey is fired, who will replace him?
    Billy Donovan
    You have until the end of the first pre-season game to lock in your predictions. The winner will receive 1lb of chicken wings (your choice of sauce) and 1 pint of beer (pop if you are a minor) at wherever the next RR party is. Feel free to post and edit away for the next six weeks or so

Comment

Great thread.

Rudy Gay

Kyle Lowry

44-38

Yes

6th

First round elimination

Rudy Gay

DeMar DeRozan

Terrence Ross

Yes

Many times

Terrence Ross

BONUS ROUND

Brendan Haywood?

Tyler Hansbrough

Lionel Hollins?
      Last edited by The Great One; Wed Jul 24, 2013, 01:33 AM.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
        The key to this isn't whether or not Ross actually breaks out. It's whether Ross breaks out *according to this forum*. Given all the negativity after summer league, the perception of Ross breaking out could just be him not repeating his summer league performance.

Always know your audience
        Seems a bit unfair though. You would have to TRY to be as bad as Ross was in summer league.

I mean, by those standards, if Landry Fields has one successful layup all year, it will be a breakout season for him!

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
          Seems a bit unfair though. You would have to TRY to be as bad as Ross was in summer league.

I mean, by those standards, if Landry Fields has one successful layup all year, it will be a breakout season for him!
          Exactly why I chose him as most improved! I would amend successful layup with successful jump shot .. but you are in the right ballpark.

Comment

A wild guess, just to support Landry

Answers below:

Landry Fields

Rudy Gay

44-38

Yes

First round

Jonas Valanciunas

Jonas Valanciunas

Demar Derozan

No.

Two.

Kyle Lowry

BONUS ROUND

Kosta Koufos

Dwight Buycks

Nick Nurse
            Last edited by Kuh; Wed Jul 24, 2013, 09:32 AM.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
              Exactly why I chose him as most improved! I would amend successful layup with successful jump shot .. but you are in the right ballpark.
              Exactly. It's not unfair at all. What's unfair are people making sweeping conclusions about Terrence Ross because of a bad summer league showing, or about Landry Fields because he was injured. It's possible they will be bad, but if I can play off of people's emotions to win bragging rights, I most certainly will!

Comment

1.) Who will be the most improved Raptor?

Jonas Valanciunas

Lowry

39-43

No

N/A

N/A

Val will go to the Rookie/Sophomore game

Valanciunas

Terrence Ross

No

3 times

12.) Who will spend the most time on the injured list?

Lowry

BONUS ROUND

2014 first round pick

Buyckes?

Nurse

Comment

Random suggestion:

I see a lot of the people who think they'll miss the playoffs avoiding the "seed" question. While they may not make it to the playoff seeding, it would be fun to know if people have an opinion where they'll end up. I mean, if you say something like 30-52, what position in the standings does that put them in?

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                    Exactly. It's not unfair at all. What's unfair are people making sweeping conclusions about Terrence Ross because of a bad summer league showing, or about Landry Fields because he was injured. It's possible they will be bad, but if I can play off of people's emotions to win bragging rights, I most certainly will!
                    Not to derail the thread but I am judging Ross by the fact that last year he looked completely lost out on the floor and missed the rim on more of his shots than any shooting guard I have ever watched at the NBA level, along with the fact that his talent set is extremely limited. The fact he went out and stunk it up in summer league isn't dispositive in terms of his career but it doesn't bode well when a guy who is supposedly a NBA rotation player can't get it done against guys who aren't in the league at all or, at best, are fringe players.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Random suggestion:

I see a lot of the people who think they'll miss the playoffs avoiding the "seed" question. While they may not make it to the playoff seeding, it would be fun to know if people have an opinion where they'll end up. I mean, if you say something like 30-52, what position in the standings does that put them in?
                      I predicted a 32-50 record, because I believe MU will tank (ie, trade a starter like Gay for picks/expiring contracts) if the team starts off slowly (and right now I'm guessing they will). I also predicted a 12th place finish in the conference. Orlando, Boston and Philly will probably end up as lower seeds.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Not to derail the thread but I am judging Ross by the fact that last year he looked completely lost out on the floor and missed the rim on more of his shots than any shooting guard I have ever watched at the NBA level, along with the fact that his talent set is extremely limited. The fact he went out and stunk it up in summer league isn't dispositive in terms of his career but it doesn't bode well when a guy who is supposedly a NBA rotation player can't get it done against guys who aren't in the league at all or, at best, are fringe players.
                        I'm not saying you're wrong or right. All I'm saying is that there are several people in this community who share a similar opinion. So if Ross manages to elevate his level just a little bit, the community would consider him most improved because of their expectations. Meanwhile, Jonas now has ungodly expectations placed on him that will be tempered by a few down-to-earth posters exclaiming it's only his second year. Still, many people will be disappointed.

For the record, I don't think Ross is as bad as you say he is. I don't think he's going to be a Ray Allen, but I think he'll be better than a Chris Jeffries.

Comment

Jonas Valanciunas - 15 and 9 guy

Terrence Ross - He'll be traded for a 2014 draft pick and Landry Field's improvement will have a lot to do with it

41-41 -They'll pick it up after a slow start

Yes

8 - Narrowly beating out Atlanta and Boston for that final spot

Conference Finals after they beat the Heat in 7 and Knicks in 6 - Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan become one of the leagues most feared wing combos in the process

Rudy Gay

Jonas Valanciunas

Terrence Ross

Yup

Kyle Lowry - He'll be 100% healthy come playoff time though

BONUS ROUND

2014 draft pick we get for Ross

Quincy Acy

Nick Nurse I guess

Comment

Jonas Valanciunas

Likely nobody, if playing poorly then Derozan

42-40

Yes

Lose in 6 first round

Nobody (other than skills comp)

Jonas Valanciunas

DJ Augustin

Yes

Twice

Kyle Lowry

BONUS ROUND

SG to push Derozan

Dwyight Byuckyysysy

George Karl

You have until the end of the first pre-season game to lock in your predictions. The winner will receive 1lb of chicken wings (your choice of sauce) and 1 pint of beer (pop if you are a minor) at wherever the next RR party is. Feel free to post and edit away for the next six weeks or so
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Rudy Gay - With his eye surgery, he will actually be able to see the rims.

Gay - Sell high

40-42

No

N/A

N/A

Gay

Gay

Amir

No

Thrice

JV

BONUS ROUND

Tristan Thompson

Quincy Acy

George Karl

Comment

I have a different type of prediction

Lieweke just pulled a Nonis / Burke situation ... replaced Colangelo with Uriji

The team will remain status quo (with the exception of a few minor moves ala leafs) we will make the playoffs in the 8th seed but push the Heat to 6 games. Fans will have hope in the Raptors again after that showing [kind of like the pacers vs heat series in 2012 or the go with my theme Leafs vs Bruins]

the Uriji will make some solid moves next off season while maintaining the core

If not I wouldn't mind seeing some of your predictions come true and we have a shot at Wiggins even if it only a slight chance

Comment

Working...
                                X