Looking back at Ross being made 'untouchable'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back at Ross being made 'untouchable'

When Rudy Gay was traded here for Ed Davis and Calderon reports surfaced that they wanted Ross but he was listed as 'untouchable' by BC. Would you rather BC have kept Davis and traded Ross or are you happy with keeping Ross and letting Davis go?

Happy keeping Ross and letting Davis go.

Davis wasn't needed with Amir already here....and Ross has much more "potential" than Davis.

Comment

I think I would have rather kept Davis, he really fit in the culture we are trying to develop and having him here as the back up big would have been good. I also think we could have gotten a good return on Ross, maybe gottn an extra pick or something. That said, if we hadn't traded Bargnani, there wouldn't have been room for Davis and we also probably wouldn't have gone after Hasborough, who I really like. So I guess it's kind of a toss up.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Frankly it's a toss-up for me. However, there is no way that BC would have traded Ross at the time. It would have been a classic sign for him that the pick was a fail and a bad signal to send out re his drafting skills. Again while I am not thrilled at either the pick or his progress so far it's too early to make a determination on Ross....his shooting form (not his compl.% !) is too classic to ignore as well as his athleticism.

Comment

Too much hindsight here. I'm pissed we traded away McGrady before he broke out and last year there was too much uncertaintny on TRoss's ceiling. I'm not saying he would replicate Mcgrady but who knows.

That said, if I could it again I would have kept Davis. BUT what I would have preferred BC to do is stand pat and not make the trade unless a bad contract like Fields is sent back for Gay's difficult contract.

Comment

I liked Davis and hope he gets a chance to play more next year. But ultimately, his skillset is replaceable during any offseason. Hansbrough is only a slight downgrade on Davis, and any of a number of other free agents would have fit more or less the same role. His only above-average skill is rebounding, and I don't see that changing. Defense and 3-point shooting is a far more rare and valuable skillset combination, and so making Ross untouchable is a gamble I liked at the time and still like despite summer league.

Comment

Rather kept Davis; Ross is awful.

At the time, the trade was made, the front-court depth was incredibly thin - obviously now it's not a problem with an improved Acy, signed Hansbrough - but Davis has good potential, and made great strides to be a player worth trading a guy like Rudy Gay for.

I think had we kept Davis, the youth would stay at a level Ujiri wants, and the front-court depth wouldn't have been a problem. Davis and Amir were interchangeable between the 4 & 5, and played very well with one another. Negatives of keeping Davis is the fact he will warrant an extension, near $6-$7 million, and or Ross might - I say might with hesitance - become a really good player.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

After posting what I have, god I am in full Advil mode trying to expect consistency out of our two guard spot. DeRozan & Ross? Goodness gracious.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Bro Reuben Bro Ross is SLAM DUNK CHAMPION!!!!! Hope you didnt forget that.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Happy keeping Ross and letting Davis go.

Davis wasn't needed with Amir already here....and Ross has much more "potential" than Davis.
                    how many minutes did you expect amir to play?

Comment

Ok, i wanted to say this for a long time about Ross.

After the draft last year, Colangelo and Casey said that the reason they took Ross over Rivers is because of his 3pt shooting.
                      Well, they didn't really use Ross as a 3pt shooter last season. And at this year's Summer League they used him as an iso player. Problem is, he's NOT a 1 on 1 player. Never was. And you can see it because he struggled big time at this year's Summer League.

So can someone pls explain to me what the fuck the Raptors are doing here w/ Ross? because if they want an iso guy then they should've just drafted Rivers or Lamb. But instead they went and get a 3pt shooter but they're not really using him as a 3pt shooter.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

It's a toss up for me as well. I still see Ed Davis as a fairly limited big man whose skill was already being duplicated by another player.

I think the "reasoning" behind Ross being untouchable was more based on a principle than anything. Most general managers don't like trading away a guy they just drafted a few months ago unless there is a very good reason to do so. Especially not a lottery pick, where you are kind of showing weakness like admitting you were wrong. It's that sort of silly egotistical thing in which Colangelo had been a victim of throughout his tenure as the Raptors GM.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

I hated to see Davis go. I really, really did. I thought he played great when he started getting minutes after Bargs injury. It was clear the Raps were better with him on the floor than with Bargs, granted that's not saying much. Hard worker, played strong D and had decent moves in the paint, never tried to do to much and let the game come to him. I hope he gets a good shot to improve his game. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I bet it's higher than most think. I'm still up in the air on Ross, but right now I'd rather have Davis. I'd certainly rather have Davis on the floor than Hans.

Comment

no one except JV is untouchable
                            ya dun noe

Comment

I would have liked for us to trade Ross, keep Davis but still trade Bargs and sign Hansbrough. Probably wouldn't have worked out that way though.
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                              X