• Time
  • Show
Clear All

good lord, don't dominate summer league and everyone turns on you
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      good lord, don't dominate summer league and everyone turns on you
      It's what he was sent there to do. Failed expectations hurt your chances.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

People have short memories in a couple of regards.
        1) Davis was on the scrap heap before last year (ie after 2 NBA seasons) .. he had a strong start to the season (mostly because we had no one else on the team and he was forced into action .. but before that his trajectory looked much worse than Ross's does even now
        2) He couldnt even crack the lineup in Memphis! Of course I wouldnt expect him to start or see minutes anywhere near MG/ZR ... but to not even play at all! That has to say something ..
        3) Ross has had one year (of very, very inconsistent minutes) and 3 or 4 summer league games .. lets see what he can do. People seem to forget that he actually did have some decent games and showed he can be our best player in transition, taking the ball to the hoop HARD (unlike DD). Before we got Gay, I was thrilled with Ross .. just not with his playing time

Bottom line ... I like Ed .. would love to have him back .. but lets call a spade a spade .. he still has not done much in this league .. and even with the ups and downs, Id take Ross's potential at this stage

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
          1) Davis was on the scrap heap before last year (ie after 2 NBA seasons) .. he had a strong start to the season (mostly because we had no one else on the team and he was forced into action .. but before that his trajectory looked much worse than Ross's does even now
          2) He couldnt even crack the lineup in Memphis! Of course I wouldnt expect him to start or see minutes anywhere near MG/ZR ... but to not even play at all! That has to say something ..
          3) Ross has had one year (of very, very inconsistent minutes) and 3 or 4 summer league games .. lets see what he can do. People seem to forget that he actually did have some decent games and showed he can be our best player in transition, taking the ball to the hoop HARD (unlike DD). Before we got Gay, I was thrilled with Ross .. just not with his playing time

Bottom line ... I like Ed .. would love to have him back .. but lets call a spade a spade .. he still has not done much in this league .. and even with the ups and downs, Id take Ross's potential at this stage
          Like, four.
          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

I personally have no issues with Ed being traded (just wasn't a fan of the specific trade itself for reasons not withstanding the players themselves) and still think Ross should have more time (opportunity) to show if he can compete or not. But I think its worth noting:

- Ed had a good rookie season, followed by a slight drop in his 2nd year, and a rebound in his 3rd year. But each year he was solid. I think its worth adding that starting in Ed's 2nd year 'Hell or highwater' began (well perhaps ramped up is a better description) which didn't really end until the following year when Casey realized the man in charge was steering a sinking ship. Once Ed got more opportunity to play he played well.

- there is plenty of talk that one of the reasons Memphis was quick to replace Hollins this year was they were upset about Ed not getting minutes (along with Hollins adverse stance towards statistical metrics in general). Statistically speaking his time in Memphis has been the best of his career. Mind you the sample is quite small so take it with a grain of salt

All that said, I'd prefer a Val - Amir - Acy rotation going forward to any 3 big man rotation this Raptor's team has had in a very long time

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
              ..All that said, I'd prefer a Val - Amir - Acy rotation going forward to any 3 big man rotation this Raptor's team has had in a very long time
              At least since Antonio Davis, Charles Oakley and Kevin Willis back in 1999-2000 and part of 2000 - 2001 seasons.

Comment

#3 YES, i totally agree
                give the kid a chance, it was his rookie season and to be fair he didn't get a whole lotta minutes. Terrence will have a break out season. yall need to understand that he had a tough season which brought down his confidence, and he had the opportunity to shine at summer league but he didn't. Ross wont be seeing limited minutes next season, or if Casey starts the whole 'i cant play Terrence because he needs to earn his minutes' yah shutup your boy aa is gone i better see ross as our 6-7 man a or maybe our 8th man. i hate using stats but ima use stats.

if you compare terrence and DeMar's rookie season numbers there pretty similar. in 21.6 mins a game DeMar averaged 8.6 points, 49.8 percent shooting with and addition of 2.99 rebounds per game.
                while Ross played 4 mins less than demar (17 mins) he averaged 6.4 points, of a shooting percent of 49.8 and grabbing 2.9 boards. quite similar right?

next steps for ross: make a living at the free throw line (get bigger)
                hes got a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to live up to the expectations that we set for him..
                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                  ...if you compare terrence and DeMar's rookie season numbers there pretty similar. in 21.6 mins a game DeMar averaged 8.6 points, 49.8 percent shooting with and addition of 2.99 rebounds per game.
                  while Ross played 4 mins less than demar (17 mins) he averaged 6.4 points, of a shooting percent of 49.8 and grabbing 2.9 boards. quite similar right? ...
                  Now don't go comparing Ross' game to Derozan's or you will bring out the "DD Trade Legion."

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Now don't go comparing Ross' game to Derozan's or you will bring out the "DD Trade Legion."
                    by that i meant that t ross is on his way
                    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Comment

sorry but DD is one of the most overrated players on the board. All you ever hear about is all the hard work he is putting in and how he's a family man now. But what do you see on the court? All he has shown is that he can score when lowry creates wide open looks for him, or pushes him the ball on the fast break. He can't defend, his shooting mechanics are the ugliest shit I've ever seen, terrence ross might be a bust, but DD ain't worth a damn either. I really hope other teams are as high on him as we are, so we can trade his ass. End rant. In fact DD should just be an insurance policy, just in case terrence ross is a bust, certainly not a cornerstone of this team.
                      Last edited by akashsingh; Sat Jul 27, 2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                        sorry but DD is one of the most overrated players on the board. All you ever hear about is all the hard work he is putting in and how he's a family man now. But what do you see on the court? All he has shown is that he can score when lowry creates wide open looks for him, or pushes him the ball on the fast break. He can't defend, his shooting mechanics are the ugliest shit I've ever seen, terrence ross might be a bust, but DD ain't worth a damn either. I really hope other teams are as high on him as we are, so we can trade his ass. End rant. In fact DD should just be an insurance policy, for terrence ross and his chance of being a bust, not a cornerstone of this team.
                        Dam..

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                          #3 YES, i totally agree
                          give the kid a chance, it was his rookie season and to be fair he didn't get a whole lotta minutes. Terrence will have a break out season. yall need to understand that he had a tough season which brought down his confidence, and he had the opportunity to shine at summer league but he didn't. Ross wont be seeing limited minutes next season, or if Casey starts the whole 'i cant play Terrence because he needs to earn his minutes' yah shutup your boy aa is gone i better see ross as our 6-7 man a or maybe our 8th man. i hate using stats but ima use stats.

if you compare terrence and DeMar's rookie season numbers there pretty similar. in 21.6 mins a game DeMar averaged 8.6 points, 49.8 percent shooting with and addition of 2.99 rebounds per game.
                          while Ross played 4 mins less than demar (17 mins) he averaged 6.4 points, of a shooting percent of 49.8 and grabbing 2.9 boards. quite similar right?

next steps for ross: make a living at the free throw line (get bigger)
                          hes got a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to live up to the expectations that we set for him..
                          Yes .. and perhaps more importantly, Ross has shown component parts that DD has never shown, namely
                          - Ability to hit the open 3
                          - Ability to take the ball strong to the hoop and finish strong with a dunk (both in the open court and in a half court set)

To this date, however many years in the league, DD has not shown the ability to do either of these things, ever.

I fully admit that Ross has only been in extremely small samples (as someone said earlier .. he probably had like 4 good games last year ... and that estimate isnt far off). But, if he can put these things together - even if nothing else in his game develops .. he will be a very solid NBA player

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                            sorry but DD is one of the most overrated players on the board. All you ever hear about is all the hard work he is putting in and how he's a family man now. But what do you see on the court? All he has shown is that he can score when lowry creates wide open looks for him, or pushes him the ball on the fast break. He can't defend, his shooting mechanics are the ugliest shit I've ever seen, terrence ross might be a bust, but DD ain't worth a damn either. I really hope other teams are as high on him as we are, so we can trade his ass. End rant. In fact DD should just be an insurance policy, just in case terrence ross is a bust, certainly not a cornerstone of this team.
                            no one was talking about DeMar, i was comparing Ross to him to show that hes on his way to be coming a wing player like demar or someone even better. i agree with the end statement though. but you need to understand that hes getting better, he's improving (he didnt get a chance in the usa scrimmage because everyone wanted to take a shoot and he almost never got the ball (and when he did he was forced to take the shot- near the end of the shot clock) its about ross and not demar... just makin that clear

Comment

Yes .. and perhaps more importantly, Ross has shown component parts that DD has never shown, namely
                              - Ability to hit the open 3
                              - Ability to take the ball strong to the hoop and finish strong with a dunk (both in the open court and in a half court set)

To this date, however many years in the league, DD has not shown the ability to do either of these things, ever.

I fully admit that Ross has only been in extremely small samples (as someone said earlier .. he probably had like 4 good games last year ... and that estimate isnt far off). But, if he can put these things together - even if nothing else in his game develops .. he will be a very solid NBA player
                              Yeah, you speak the truth brother.

I added some videos to remind everybody how bad he is at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGeo0xKSMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_X_nUrFf3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsLVUO065U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN4EgwnaeO0

... he may prefer jump shooting but he can definitely take the ball to the rack.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, you speak the truth brother.

I added some videos to remind everybody how bad he is at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGeo0xKSMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_X_nUrFf3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsLVUO065U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN4EgwnaeO0

... he may prefer jump shooting but he can definitely take the ball to the rack.
                                Ok .. I may have slightly exagerated to say DD has never taken the ball strong to the hoop .. of course he has a few times.

BUT - even look at that first clip you posted, i would say 90% of them are with no defender anywhere near him. Even the ones in the half court he typically finishes with a dunk when hes able to step right past the defender with no contest. When he has a man near him, he does the slow delayed step around old man" move where he goes around the defender and lays it up.
                                Anyways - not hear to hack on DD - the point was more that when TR gets the ball in the open court, even if there is a guy between him and the hoop .. you get the feeling that hes either dunking it or getting fouled - nothing in between. I love that. (and the contrast was DD, where Im nervous as shit that he will just finish the play, let alone embarrass his defender).
                                Same thing in the half court .. when TR gets a step, he attacks the rim .. doesnt give a shit about getting hit. I like that to.
                                And, as for the highlight package, TR's is almost as impressive, and hes played spot duty in shitty minutes for 1 year, whereas DD has 4 years of heavy mins .. he should have WAY more aggressive takes than he does.

Comment

Working...
                                X