Looking back at Ross being made 'untouchable'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a demar vs t ross thread or does someone need or start it
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
      Yeah, you speak the truth brother.

I added some videos to remind everybody how bad he is at it.

... he may prefer jump shooting but he can definitely take the ball to the rack.
      at 2:07 the worst defense by rudy i've ever seen in my life
      What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
      The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
        #3 YES, i totally agree
        give the kid a chance, it was his rookie season and to be fair he didn't get a whole lotta minutes. Terrence will have a break out season. yall need to understand that he had a tough season which brought down his confidence, and he had the opportunity to shine at summer league but he didn't. Ross wont be seeing limited minutes next season, or if Casey starts the whole 'i cant play Terrence because he needs to earn his minutes' yah shutup your boy aa is gone i better see ross as our 6-7 man a or maybe our 8th man. i hate using stats but ima use stats.

if you compare terrence and DeMar's rookie season numbers there pretty similar. in 21.6 mins a game DeMar averaged 8.6 points, 49.8 percent shooting with and addition of 2.99 rebounds per game.
        while Ross played 4 mins less than demar (17 mins) he averaged 6.4 points, of a shooting percent of 49.8 and grabbing 2.9 boards. quite similar right?

next steps for ross: make a living at the free throw line (get bigger)
        hes got a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to live up to the expectations that we set for him..
        Ross shot 40.7% for the season.
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
          Ross shot 40.7% for the season.
          oops lol his and demars cants be the same i mixed it up xD

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
            sorry but DD is one of the most overrated players on the board. All you ever hear about is all the hard work he is putting in and how he's a family man now. But what do you see on the court?
            i see 18 ppg
            what do you see?

Comment

Really Demar vs Ross? Really? To me the question is Ross vs Davis, and I would have leaned towards Davis. Has nothing to do with skill.

With JV, Amir, ED, and Acy the big rotation for this team could have been solid for 3-5 years. Keeping Ross solidifies nothing. Do I think Ross is talented? Yes. Do I think he has more potential than Demar? Yes. But Demar is a tangible talent. I know what to expect, if I was a GM, who just locked him up on an extension, and I have a solid, improving frontcourt, why would I weaken the one area of success to keep something that is slow to develop? The only reason ED was in that trade was because BC still believed in Andrea. Moving ED gave Andrea a spot in the rotation.

Unless we're talking about stars, you keep the big guy with talent and potential. You keep Demar because he's locked in, and Gay can opt out. Ross is a West coast kid who hasn't shown any real love for Toronto, and has been pinned to the bench. Ya'll think he's going to stay longer than he has to if he doesn't get more play time (that he hasn't earned)? Seriously, is this even a debate? It's got nothing to do with talent.

Either way the wings are a mess. They're still a mess. Psycho T is a good band aid but he doesn't have ED's potential, but the bigs look pretty good. Getting a PF who shoots 3s (from the Knicks) doesn't resolve that mess on the wings, it fills the AB role for a lot less. Right now the back up wings are a one-armed player and a kid who didn't show for summer league. Whatever. Sorry about the rant.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                Really Demar vs Ross? Really? To me the question is Ross vs Davis, and I would have leaned towards Davis. Has nothing to do with skill.

With JV, Amir, ED, and Acy the big rotation for this team could have been solid for 3-5 years. Keeping Ross solidifies nothing. Do I think Ross is talented? Yes. Do I think he has more potential than Demar? Yes. But Demar is a tangible talent. I know what to expect, if I was a GM, who just locked him up on an extension, and I have a solid, improving frontcourt, why would I weaken the one area of success to keep something that is slow to develop? The only reason ED was in that trade was because BC still believed in Andrea. Moving ED gave Andrea a spot in the rotation.

Unless we're talking about stars, you keep the big guy with talent and potential. You keep Demar because he's locked in, and Gay can opt out. Ross is a West coast kid who hasn't shown any real love for Toronto, and has been pinned to the bench. Ya'll think he's going to stay longer than he has to if he doesn't get more play time (that he hasn't earned)? Seriously, is this even a debate? It's got nothing to do with talent.

Either way the wings are a mess. They're still a mess. Psycho T is a good band aid but he doesn't have ED's potential, but the bigs look pretty good. Getting a PF who shoots 3s (from the Knicks) doesn't resolve that mess on the wings, it fills the AB role for a lot less. Right now the back up wings are a one-armed player and a kid who didn't show for summer league. Whatever. Sorry about the rant.
                To be clear .. I agree with you 100% - DD vs Ross isnt a debate at this point .. DD is a way better player. My use of the comparison was simply to show that Ross does a couple of key things (shoot 3s and take it strong) better than DD. I used that as a reason why you might keep him vs Ed.

I hear ya on your Ed point .. which perhaps said more simply is that the trade would have balanced the team if we gave up a wing instead of a PG and a big when we were acquiring a wing.

But, ... I still think the potential of Ross (even in hindsight after a crappy 2nd half and summer league) trumps the known commodity of Ed.

Comment

Yeah, Ross has got the edge on Derozan in defence and 3's.. But only in potential hasn't shown he can do either consistently yet in the NBA, yet alone in summer league. With Derozan, you know what you're getting. 18 ppg, but so far in a fairly inefficient matter.

Comment

They only thing Ross has proved that his a role player and that it. He will neve be a option 1,2, or 3. His a old fashion 3D guy. He'll play better with players around him.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      They only thing Ross has proved that his a role player and that it. He will neve be a option 1,2, or 3. His a old fashion 3D guy. He'll play better with players around him.
                      so far I think he has shown he would play better if he was the only one on the floor (dunk competition)!

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                        Ok .. I may have slightly exagerated to say DD has never taken the ball strong to the hoop .. of course he has a few times.

BUT - even look at that first clip you posted, i would say 90% of them are with no defender anywhere near him. Even the ones in the half court he typically finishes with a dunk when hes able to step right past the defender with no contest. When he has a man near him, he does the slow delayed step around old man" move where he goes around the defender and lays it up.
                        Anyways - not hear to hack on DD - the point was more that when TR gets the ball in the open court, even if there is a guy between him and the hoop .. you get the feeling that hes either dunking it or getting fouled - nothing in between. I love that. (and the contrast was DD, where Im nervous as shit that he will just finish the play, let alone embarrass his defender).
                        Same thing in the half court .. when TR gets a step, he attacks the rim .. doesnt give a shit about getting hit. I like that to.
                        And, as for the highlight package, TR's is almost as impressive, and hes played spot duty in shitty minutes for 1 year, whereas DD has 4 years of heavy mins .. he should have WAY more aggressive takes than he does.
                        Yeah I'd probably call it a a slight exaggeration that DD has never taken the ball hard to the hoop before considering he finished 8th in the league last season in free throw attempts and 7th in makes. The 7 guys ahead of him in attempts for a little more context - Harden, Durant, Howard, Kobe, Westbrook, James and Anthony. All very aggressive, attacking offensive players.

Yes, I know there are plenty of times watching him in real time where it seems like he struggles with finishing through contact. But the picture you are trying to paint is way, way off base. Suggesting that DD has something to learn from Ross in this category seems a little much when Ross had one of the lowest free throw rates in the entire league last season. I mean like ten from the bottom of all qualifying players bad. He had a few highlight reel dunks during the middle of the season but mainly floated around the perimeter offensively during his rookie year.

And I'm not even really a DeRozan fan. There are plenty parts to his game that can be criticized. I do think he's grown into a very aggressive player on O however.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                          Ok .. I may have slightly exagerated to say DD has never taken the ball strong to the hoop .. of course he has a few times.

BUT - even look at that first clip you posted, i would say 90% of them are with no defender anywhere near him. Even the ones in the half court he typically finishes with a dunk when hes able to step right past the defender with no contest. When he has a man near him, he does the slow delayed step around old man" move where he goes around the defender and lays it up.
                          Anyways - not hear to hack on DD - the point was more that when TR gets the ball in the open court, even if there is a guy between him and the hoop .. you get the feeling that hes either dunking it or getting fouled - nothing in between. I love that. (and the contrast was DD, where Im nervous as shit that he will just finish the play, let alone embarrass his defender).
                          Same thing in the half court .. when TR gets a step, he attacks the rim .. doesnt give a shit about getting hit. I like that to.
                          And, as for the highlight package, TR's is almost as impressive, and hes played spot duty in shitty minutes for 1 year, whereas DD has 4 years of heavy mins .. he should have WAY more aggressive takes than he does.
                          I think you are literally imagining all of these things that t Ross definitely does NOT do.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                            I think you are literally imagining all of these things that t Ross definitely does NOT do.
                            No kidding!!!! I'd like to know what mountio is smoking, so I can avoid it at all costs. That shit seems to make people shove their head into the dark hole of some other dimension. It's one thing to have an opinion toward not liking someone, but let's get real.

Comment

Ugh.

I would have been happy to have just not made the Ross mistake in the first place and chosen Drummond.

Comment

Working...
                              X