7 Seconds or Less + Nelli Ball + Havoc Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Seconds or Less + Nelli Ball + Havoc Defense

Speed Ball my friends. I would love to see a team deploy this tactic. You already see elements of all of these in Karl's Nuggets, the current Heat and Dantoni's suns.

7 Seconds or less = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Seconds_or_Less

Nelli Ball = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Ball.

Havoc Defense = http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...211/vcu-press/

What Do You Need To Pull This Off?

A twelve deep roster of two way players.

at least six guys that shoot 35% or better from 3

Two atheletic stretch 4s that can both pick and pop and pick and roll

No centers

A PG with a yo yo handle. (Rubio would probably handle this best)

The idea behind being 12 deep is that you go full tilt until you need a blow and because the basketball is mostly positionless, the pressure you exert on the opposing defense by playing so fast, and by pressing after every single made shot and deadball, will exhaust any team that isn't equally deep. It would also be exciting to watch.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

I know someone is going to say well yeah but defense wins championships...which is true...until it isn't. Smaller markets that have trouble attracting and keeping stars need to start thinking outside the box in this regard.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

An NBA caliber ball handler will destroy that "Havoc" defense. Even in the NCAA, it's more common in lower divisions. It's nice for trying to break scoring records, and it might win some games at amateur level. I don't think it's sustainable in the NBA.

Comment

I think a Nellie team should go the opposite way. Disciplined halfcourt D, don't overgamble, demand everyone to sprint back, sacrifice offensive rebounding, you aren't going to get many boards anyway if you are small. Work on help defense. Accept that you aren't going to be a shutdown defensive team so pick your poison -- chase ppl off the 3pt line, and double on scoring bigs in the low post, but allow the other team to chuck as many midrange 2s as they wish.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          ...chase ppl off the 3pt line, and double on scoring bigs in the low post, but allow the other team to chuck as many midrange 2s as they wish.
          Great defensive strategy for any team. Force opposing players to take the worst shot possible.

Everything depends on personnel, but if all your players are in great shape, it could make a big difference if you at least had a pressing defense you could initiate for large stretches of a game. Shooters lose their shot as soon as their legs get tired. Fast breaks happen when opposing 4's and 5's are too tired to run back up the floor on D.

For a team with mid level talent, like the Raps, getting everyone to buy into incredible stamina along with excruciating sprint work all off-season would give them a real chance to improve their record.

Comment

I could see HAVOC defense hurting a lot of older teams, and teams without depth. The problem will still remain that beating the Thunder, Warriors and Heat of the league will be a challenge. But speed ball would absolutely kill half the teams in the league. I suppose that's why Dantoni's suns always did well in the regular season.

Comment

Well, that defense consumes a lot of your energy. It doesn't tire out the opposing team as much.

Comment

Well, that defense consumes a lot of your energy. It doesn't tire out the opposing team as much.
                press breaking is mentally and physically exhausting, and if you can't routinely break the press it is demoralizing as fuck. A keyed in full court press can make grown men throw temper tantrums.

combine that with the fact that you are getting pressed after every made shot, combined with the fact that the other teams possessions per game goes up under a seven seconds or less philosophy, and as long as you are 12 deep you are fine.

Comment

I don't think so, most NBA point guards will eat it alive. It's a nice surprise tactic that teams at this level use once in a while, but it won't be nearly as effective as go-to defense. NBA handles are too good.

Comment

I don't think so, most NBA point guards will eat it alive. It's a nice surprise tactic that teams at this level use once in a while, but it won't be nearly as effective as go-to defense. NBA handles are too good.
                    It's possible to manipulate the press in such a way that it forces the ball out of the primary ball handlers hands. However a second player with a yo yo handle would do some damage. It also matters who is doing the pressing. I fear someone of Rondo's speed and wingspan in a press scenario regardless of handles

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      It's possible to manipulate the press in such a way that it forces the ball out of the primary ball handlers hands. However a second player with a yo yo handle would do some damage. It also matters who is doing the pressing. I fear someone of Rondo's speed and wingspan in a press scenario regardless of handles
                      You would have to staff your team with players who could make it happen. Not the sort of thing you could just decide to do. And it would affect everything...your conditioning routines, your rebound philosophy (focus on Defensive rebounds as opposed to offensive) the kind of shots you take, the kind of passes you favour...everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X