Brandon Knight to Bucks as a part of the package for Brandon Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Summertime threads, where players get criticized for donating money to charity...
    Uh. Someone should build time machine.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
      Wtf HOW?

This is the equivalent of someone who makes $50,000 donating $3,125 to charity. That's the average income in a North American household. How many households in that income range do you think there are that donate that much money to charity a year? Close to 0

Makes me sick when people try to downplay the donations that these guys make to charity. Just because they're rich doesn't mean that money doesn't have value to them.
      Calm your tits. Nobody said it doesn't have value to them.

Some guy who makes 50 grand a year and donates more % of his salary than these athletes does not make headlines for it.

Why is it so unreasonable to think he can't donate more?

Some of these athletes/celebrities spend a million or more on blow and booze a year..

They're advised to donate the money for reputation purposes and such. Justin Bieber donates a bunch of money to charity and then goes and pisses in janitor's buckets and drives around in his fucking Lamborghini.

If you're gonna be serious about donating money to charity. Do it like Bill Gates and donate most of your fortune. Don't give me this shit about "he's a good guy because he donates 1/16 of his salary for one year to charity". That doesn't even fucking include however many million he's making and will make on endorsement deals and such. Which is bound to go up with his reputation going up for donating a mill. to charity.

Some of these guys for donating to charity probably get twice as much from endorsements and shit for doing that.

So don't give me some shit like I'm an asshole because I don't applaud a guy for giving 1/16th of one year of his salary away..
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Well, LBF is right, but still.. not everyone gives that 1M$ to charity!

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post

Some guy who makes 50 grand a year and donates more % of his salary than these athletes does not make headlines for it.

Some of these athletes/celebrities spend a million or more on blow and booze a year..

They're advised to donate the money for reputation purposes and such. Justin Bieber donates a bunch of money to charity and then goes and pisses in janitor's buckets and drives around in his fucking Lamborghini.

If you're gonna be serious about donating money to charity. Do it like Bill Gates and donate most of your fortune. Don't give me this shit about "he's a good guy because he donates 1/16 of his salary for one year to charity". That doesn't even fucking include however many million he's making and will make on endorsement deals and such. Which is bound to go up with his reputation going up for donating a mill. to charity.

Some of these guys for donating to charity probably get twice as much from endorsements and shit for doing that.

So don't give me some shit like I'm an asshole because I don't applaud a guy for giving 1/16th of one year of his salary away..
          Thought there will be a lot of people who will disagree with you on this, I appreciate having a realist's perspective of things. I agree that this is probably a publicity stunt to boost your reputation, which is everything for an athlete, and I'm aware that a lot of athletes do this, but Wall seems like a humble young man, so I'm more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. While I agree with you that it's not 100% donated from the heart and because they really wanted to give back, 1 million is still a very nice amount going to help those who are unfortunate, so as fans, we can be okay with it.

Comment

1Mill is a lot of money just to give away to other people, if you're not a billionaire. And publicity stunt or not it will be a major contribution towards a good cause

Comment

Why now? Why did he wait til he had how many million dollars in salary and endorsements? Why was it only 1 million? Why only 1/80th of his contract?

Also;

How do we filter who are doing it from the heart and who are doing it cause they're smart?

Guys like Ron Artest have done a bunch of charity work..it's all about "image". It's like " hey I was a douche before. But look I'm donating to charity now. I'm a good person."

Is Ron Artest really a good person? Fuck no! He's a nutcase.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Who gives a crap whether he's doing from the heart or just for a publicity stunt? He's giving money, that's all that counts.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Look at the video I posted in the John Wall thread, seems like he's actually trying to be a better person (0:10-0:40 mark), but can't an athlete just do something positive without having his fucking intentions questioned nowadays? This move along with the quotes that I've heard from him over the past couple of days tell me that Wall has really matured, and please don't try to make a generous donation like this turn into something negative

Comment

The more money you make, the more expensive your lifestyle gets. People buy bigger and better things as their income increases. That is not selfish, it is human nature. You do it, I do it, professional athletes do it. Stop trying to act like you're morally better than them on some level because you're not. I guess it doesn't matter if they donate unless the donate most of their salary right? Give me a fucking break.

Do you donate 50%+ of your salary to charity?
                    Last edited by Xixak; Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Why now? Why did he wait til he had how many million dollars in salary and endorsements? Why was it only 1 million? Why only 1/80th of his contract?

Also;

How do we filter who are doing it from the heart and who are doing it cause they're smart?

Guys like Ron Artest have done a bunch of charity work..it's all about "image". It's like " hey I was a douche before. But look I'm donating to charity now. I'm a good person."

Is Ron Artest really a good person? Fuck no! He's a nutcase.
                      How do you know he hasn't donated before?

I'm sorry but the charity does not give a FLYING FUCK if its donated from the heart or not. They will gladly accept that money and use it for whatever cause they're working towards. $1 million is a very significant donation any way you slice it. If I asked you to donate 5-10% of your before taxes income to charity right now you wouldn't do it.

And tbh it's more like 15-20% of his income because Wall's extension doesn't actually kick in until the 2014-15 season.

Sick and tired of people like you who act like it's a crime to be rich.

Comment

The more money you make, the more expensive your lifestyle gets. So you're saying it's not really a big deal for them to donate unless the donate most of their salary?

Why don't you donate 50% of your salary to charity?
                        If I donated 50% of my salary. I'd be a bum. if John Wall donated 50% of his salary. He would not be a bum. He'd still make 8 million dollars+endorsements. If I donated 50% of my salary, it wouldn't make headlines. I wouldn't make more money for doing that. Even if it did make headlines, nobody would recognize me for it.

"The more money you make, the more expensive your lifestyle gets"..is that really the argument your going to make? The personal choice of spending more because you make more is an excuse for only giving 1/80th of your salary?? REALLY!?

I did argue the "why don't you donate 50% of your salary" argument. Even though I didn't have to because I never said a thing about 50% and it's not about me. I'm not a professional athlete/celebrity that makes millions of dollars a year for being me.

The reason I mentioned the bill gates thing is because that shows legitimacy. He's donated most of his fortune, not 1/16 of one year of his salary..

Actually, I take back that a million dollars is a lot of money because it's really not..not anymore. It's especially not a lot of money when the guy who's giving it away is going to make 80 million+ in the next five years...

So, yes. I am saying it's not a big deal because it's not. Good for him that he gave a little of his money to charity. But I'm not applauding him for it.

Are you going to applaud me if I give 1/16 of one year of my salary? Are you even going to know? Is there going to be a press conference for me? Is It going to make headlines internationally? Am I going to make more money for giving money away?Does it increase my celebrity and popularity?

Comment

How do you know he hasn't donated before?

I'm sorry but the charity does not give a FLYING FUCK if its donated from the heart or not. They will gladly accept that money and use it for whatever cause they're working towards. $1 million is a very significant donation any way you slice it. If I asked you to donate 5-10% of your before taxes income to charity right now you wouldn't do it.

And tbh it's more like 15-20% of his income because Wall's extension doesn't actually kick in until the 2014-15 season.

Sick and tired of people like you who act like it's a crime to be rich.
                          He donated 1 million of his new contract. Not of his current money.

And stop trying to mkae it about me. It's not about me. I did not donate 1/80th of my 80 million dollar contract to charity. Leave me out of it.

And it's not about whether the charity gives a flying fuck. They're going to take what they can get. If you're a charity and you're getting a million dollars, you are stupid to complain. If you complain, they'll stop donating to you and go to somebody else.

Sick and tired of people like you who put words in other people's mouths.

Comment

He donated 1 million of his new contract. Not of his current money.

And stop trying to mkae it about me. It's not about me. I did not donate 1/80th of my 80 million dollar contract to charity. Leave me out of it.

And it's not about whether the charity gives a flying fuck. They're going to take what they can get. If you're a charity and you're getting a million dollars, you are stupid to complain. If you complain, they'll stop donating to you and go to somebody else.

Sick and tired of people like you who put words in other people's mouths.
                            Dude it is about you... You're the one who's complaining about an athlete donating a million dollars not us and not the charity. Honestly when you donated money to charity it's going to help them no matter how much you give. It's like you're trying to find a way to hate John Wall, and i'm not a fan of him either but he did a good thing.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Dude it is about you... You're the one who's complaining about an athlete donating a million dollars not us and not the charity. Honestly when you donated money to charity it's going to help them no matter how much you give. It's like you're trying to find a way to hate John Wall, and i'm not a fan of him either but he did a good thing.
                              You guys are narrow-minded. You need to open up and look at the big scheme of things.

I'm not looking for a reason to hate John Wall. I am simply saying that it is not a big deal that he donated some money to charity.

Comment

You guys are narrow-minded. You need to open up and look at the big scheme of things.

I'm not looking for a reason to hate John Wall. I am simply saying that it is not a big deal that he donated some money to charity.
                                It's not a big deal, but calling Wall a douche for donating just a million dollars seems like an overstatement.

Comment

Working...
                                X