This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I like the way MU approaches the end of his bench, especially compared to BC's approach. MU has already stacked every position with young players, like he did in Denver, as opposed to filling the bench with washed-up scrubs in the name of 'veteran presence'. I wouldn't be suprised to see Q-Rich eventually traded/waived, with the 15th roster spot used to sign a young 3rd string C.

2013-2014 Bench
    C: Gray, TBD
    PF: Hansborough, Acy (22)
    SF: Novak, Daye (25)
    SG: Ross (22), Fields (25)
    PG: Augustin (25), Buycks (24)

2012-2013 Bench
    C: Gray
    PF: Bargnani, Acy
    SF: Kleiza (28), Pietrus (31)
    SG: Ross, Fields
    PG: Lucas (30), Telfair (28)

With Amir capable of playing C and JV and Gray both being C's, I don't see a third string C being signed unless there is an injury.

Personally, I think Richardson is told to stay home and he is kept on the roster as a piece to help facilitate a possible trade under CBA rules or he might be waived to allow the Raptors to trade for 2for1 or 3for2 type deals.

When he is waived is unknown but I think we can all be certain he is not going to be on the team come January 1st.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I like the way MU approaches the end of his bench, especially compared to BC's approach. MU has already stacked every position with young players, like he did in Denver, as opposed to filling the bench with washed-up scrubs in the name of 'veteran presence'. I wouldn't be suprised to see Q-Rich eventually traded/waived, with the 15th roster spot used to sign a young 3rd string C.

2013-2014 Bench
      C: Gray, TBD
      PF: Hansborough, Acy (22)
      SF: Novak, Daye (25)
      SG: Ross (22), Fields (25)
      PG: Augustin (25), Buycks (24)

2012-2013 Bench
      C: Gray
      PF: Bargnani, Acy
      SF: Anderson (30), Kleiza (28), Pietrus (31)
      SG: Ross, Fields
      PG: Lucas (30), Telfair (28)
      Yeah I'd like us to pick up Cole Aldrich as that guy. Pretty effective in limited playing time last year with 3 points, 4 rebounds and a block in 11 minutes per game.

Leaves us with a very young and nicely balanced lineup of:

PG: Lowry (27), Augustin (25), Buycks (24)
      SG: DeRozan (23), Ross (22), Fields (25)
      SF: Gay (26), Novak (30), Daye (25)
      PF: Amir (26), Hansbrough (27), Acy (22)
      C: Valanciunas (21), Gray (28), Aldrich (24)

Average Age: 25

Which would make us one of the youngest teams in the league (youngest last year was Houston at 23.7

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
        If Daye finds some more shooting form - and you have to assume that this is part of Nick Nurse's job - then he becomes a movable asset, the sort of player who gets you a second-rounder. That's really the entire reason for the contract. Most of Masai's signings are low-risk lottery tickets and this is basically the same thing. If Daye produces, either he becomes a cheap roleplayer or he'll be gone in a trade to get us better assets (most likely a second-rounder or draft rights to someone Masai likes). If he doesn't, welp, no second year guarantee means that lottery ticket didn't produce a scratch-and-win, shucks, we didn't get value from the ass end of our bench just like ninety percent of teams don't.

All of Masai's signings have been like this. Augustin: if he returns to form he's a bargain, if not, whatever. Buycks: a rookie find with real upside and if he doesn't pan out, not a big deal. Psycho T was clearly underpriced so he'll get some minutes and then, most likely, some team thinking he's worth double his current salary and needing a solid backup big will call, and if we don't need him we'll get some quality trade value from him.
        Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          A lot of analysis here about our new 15th man
          Fans of real teams talk about big FA signings and trades for superstars. In Raptorland, we talk about Austin Daye and Alexis Ajinca. That's how we roll cause we don't got much else....

Comment

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
              No it doesn't. Masai is a very shrewd GM. He doesn't get locked in on one guy and mortgage the team's future for his sake (see BC with Nash or Cuban with Dwight). He just wants to keep his options open and take advantage of the best opportunities when they come by. That is how you build a successful team.

You don't just throw away players because you want to tank and then get burned when you get a mid-level talent and half your roster is gone.

You don't get rid of guys to clear cap so you can grab one player, only to watch him sign elsewhere.

You don't sign average players to big deals in order to make a playoff push, only to watch that team miss the playoffs with your flexibility gone.

You take a cerebral, calculated approach and leave all avenues open and take advantage of the best opportunities when they arise.
              I agree that he probably isn't targeting a single player or not even a single free agency crop because that is the model Ujiri used in Denver, but does that model win in the playoffs? Should he be clearing cap space with the idea of acquiring elite level talent?

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                Whatever else may happen, this is charming as all get out:

somebody gotta tell the dude that French is not so much a Toronto thing
                yeah i laughed pretty hard at that yesterday
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  I agree that he probably isn't targeting a single player or not even a single free agency crop because that is the model Ujiri used in Denver, but does that model win in the playoffs? Should he be clearing cap space with the idea of acquiring elite level talent?
                  Ujiri had not completed the building process in Denver when he left...imo. He had built what I would consider a sustainable base with much depth (bench strength) resulting in a 57 win season. I believe his next step would have been to acquire in f/a or trade (less likely) a franchise type player to take that team really deep.

This is a more sustainable model...build the base/core and then acquire the finisher/s. F/a s are more amenable to sign on under these conditions.

Comment

All 3pointer lineup:

Lowry - 36%
                    Ross - 33%
                    Gay - 34%
                    Novak - 43%
                    Daye - 42%
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      only thing i don't understand is why not zubcic? the exact same skillset, younger and most likely cheaper.
                      Zubcic is not even a rotation player in Europe, let alone a starter. The odds of him ever being a viable NBA player is slim at best.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Ujiri had not completed the building process in Denver when he left...imo. He had built what I would consider a sustainable base with much depth (bench strength) resulting in a 57 win season. I believe his next step would have been to acquire in f/a or trade (less likely) a franchise type player to take that team really deep.

This is a more sustainable model...build the base/core and then acquire the finisher/s. F/a s are more amenable to sign on under these conditions.
                        So the reverse of what Miami, Lakers, San Antonio, Boston have done and what Houston is now doing is what you are saying is more sustainable? I have my doubts about that considering their championship success and longevity those teams have enjoyed (minus Houston though I suspect they will with Harden and Howard tied up for years). Just my opinion, but I think it's better to start from the top and work your way down.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          So the reverse of what Miami, Lakers, San Antonio, Boston have done and what Houston is now doing is what you are saying is more sustainable? I have my doubts about that considering their championship success and longevity those teams have enjoyed (minus Houston though I suspect they will with Harden and Howard tied up for years). Just my opinion, but I think it's better to start from the top and work your way down.
                          Umm what...

- Ok comparing us to Miami and LA is silly, because we'll never have the FA appeal of those teams.
                          - San Antonio lucked into Tim Duncan, period.

Boston and Houston both did what Ujiri is doing. Accumulated assets which allowed them to make trades for and clear cap space for stars. Boston was able to trade for two players, who were arguably BETTER than Pierce (KG: 22-13-4 the year before, RA: 26-5-4, PP: 25-6-4) because they spent years stockpiling valuable players, picks and other assets.

So yes that is similar to what Ujiri is trying to do.

Comment

Just my opinion, but I think it's better to start from the top and work your way down.
                            Only works if you draft your top player. Otherwise no super big deal free agent is coming here.
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                              Only works if you draft your top player. Otherwise no super big deal free agent is coming here.
                              Maybe the Raptors already have that top player in JV? Let's say JV explodes and becomes a 20/10 guy in his prime. Would a top free agent want to play with someone like him?

I'm trying to not to create an argument for tanking/contending since this is an Austin Daye thread, but I do think that JV could attract high level talent to play with him and/or MU could poach top talent in a trade using the assets he's accumulating from a small market team that needs to rebuild all over again.

For the Boston analogy you could say JV is Pierce, and their 2014 draft pick will be Rondo.

Comment

I would argue that Houston, Boston had bases before topping off with DH in Houston and KG and Allen in Boston. Miami of course had Wade before pulling off a "heist" that necessitated a CBA change. The Lakers always had Kobe since I can remember and cared not about the CAP. San Antonio as well added Duncan when they had a pretty good team with Robinson. We are in a new CBA era (onerous taxes) and also in effect starting a remake of the roster (as I see it). Going for the top dog before you have the support structure is not only not wise but unattainable...no f/a worth it would sign up under those circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                X