This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    Imagine him on the Heat. He's basically a better, tougher version of Chalmers (although Chalmers is one helluva 3 point shooter)
    Yeah, Lowry on the Heat would be scary.

But Chalmers is a good source of stress relief for that team - everyone gets to yell at him.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      Not Chicago. Even without D Rose their ball movement is very impressive, second to San Antonio maybe.
      Nah, I agree with Xixak - Chicago had huge problems when Lebron was guarding Rose. With Rose in the lineup, their entire offence was different, it was easy for the Heat to jam it up (and apparently Indy too, although I don't really remember that series).

But who knows, maybe Thibs will change it up next year and make their o less Rose-centric.
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
        History shows that for the most part all your PG needs to be able to do is defend, not turnover the ball a lot and hit 3s.

Teams that rely on their PGs to set up everybody and/or score a ton of points often get burned when the playoffs roll around. That's why Chicago and LAC are never gonna win jack until they get another consistent scorer/playmaker on their teams. PGs are the easiest position to stop defensively because of their lack of size. Look at how bad Rose was when Indiana put George on him or when Miami stuck LeBron on him.
        Seems to be the case. Isaiah and the Pistons are basically the only example against that. Goes to show how much the game changes in the playoffs.
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
          Imagine him on the Heat. He's basically a better, tougher version of Chalmers (although Chalmers is one helluva 3 point shooter)
          thead wrote: View Post
          keep in mind just how much space you have to shoot 3s when you have Wade, James, Bosh, and Ray Allen on the floor with you...who do you leave?
          Good lord Lowry on the Heat would just be unfair...

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Not Chicago. Even without D Rose their ball movement is very impressive, second to San Antonio maybe.
          Disagree. Ball movement is nice and all but Rose is the only shot creator on the team.

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          Nah, I agree with Xixak - Chicago had huge problems when Lebron was guarding Rose. With Rose in the lineup, their entire offence was different, it was easy for the Heat to jam it up (and apparently Indy too, although I don't really remember that series).

But who knows, maybe Thibs will change it up next year and make their o less Rose-centric.
          Yup, and there's a reason why it's Rose-Centric, nobody else on the team can create their own shot, that kills you in the playoffs.

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          Seems to be the case. Isaiah and the Pistons are basically the only example against that. Goes to show how much the game changes in the playoffs.
          Yeah Isaiah is the only example since like 1980 I can think of. Magic wasn't relied on too much to score with LA... and he was 6'9 so I'm not sure he would count regardless. You could make an argument for Tony Parker, but his MVP was kind of just a result of the Spurs totally outmatching the Cavs. Duncan was the primary option anyway.

And on the note of the game changing in the playoffs, I wholeheartedly agree. Especially down the stretch in games, the mid-range J and the ability to create shots becomes increasingly important.

Comment

Yeah Isaiah is the only example since like 1980 I can think of. Magic wasn't relied on too much to score with LA... and he was 6'9 so I'm not sure he would count regardless. You could make an argument for Tony Parker, but his MVP was kind of just a result of the Spurs totally outmatching the Cavs. Duncan was the primary option anyway.

And on the note of the game changing in the playoffs, I wholeheartedly agree. Especially down the stretch in games, the mid-range J and the ability to create shots becomes increasingly important.
            And Parker's also not a prototypical distributing point getting you 10 apg.

Xixak wrote: View Post
            Tbh Lowry actually fits the championship PG mold better than most PGs do.

He doesn't need to dominate the ball to be effective, he shoots at a high clip from 3, turns the ball over at a low rate and one could argue that he's elite defensively and on the glass at his position.
            And although I agree with this statement as well (in terms of what you need from a championship PG)...

Parker needs the ball to be effective, doesn't shoot well from 3, isn't elite defensively and doesn't rebound.

And he doesn't get you many assists.

Popovich is literally a wizard.
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Good lord Lowry on the Heat would just be unfair...

Disagree. Ball movement is nice and all but Rose is the only shot creator on the team.

Yup, and there's a reason why it's Rose-Centric, nobody else on the team can create their own shot, that kills you in the playoffs.

Did you see how far the Bulls got without Rose? I'm confident that the Bulls are going to be the team that dethrones the Heat.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                And Parker's also not a prototypical distributing point getting you 10 apg.

And although I agree with this statement as well (in terms of what you need from a championship PG)...

Parker needs the ball to be effective, doesn't shoot well from 3, isn't elite defensively and doesn't rebound.

And he doesn't get you many assists.

Popovich is literally a wizard.
                I think this is fine though because he's not the best player on the team.

Comment

• I gotta stop making very obvious sarcastic comments because you guys are leaving me speechless with your discussions.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                    I gotta stop making very obvious sarcastic comments because you guys are leaving me speechless with your discussions.
                    LOL I just realized that the statement I started commenting on was prefaced with

Letter N wrote: View Post

Let's make more nonsense points while we're here.
                    But regardless, if

The top 4 assist men in NBA history only have 1 ring between them.
                    then while

Assists =/= Playoff Wins!!!!!
                    may be nonsense,

High Assist PG =/= Championship!!!!!
                    for whatever it's worth, is not.
                    Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue Aug 13, 2013, 08:59 AM.
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Did you see how far the Bulls got without Rose? I'm confident that the Bulls are going to be the team that dethrones the Heat.
                      They made the playoffs in a top-heavy conference, beat a very dysfunctional Nets team in 7, and then took one game from the Heat (who hadn't played in however many days after sweeping Milwaukee) before losing four straight.

Yes, it was all without Rose (and Deng in the playoffs), which was kind of incredible, but I think that's more of a testament to Thibs' ability to get the most out of his players on a nightly basis. The thing is, that doesn't matter in the latter stages of the playoffs. At that point, the overall talent level is very high, everyone's motivated all the time, and a coaches job becomes about adjustments. This means a huge part of the edge the Bulls have during the regular season just disappears. A similar thing happens to the Spurs.

Don't get me wrong, I still think they're a good team, but I'd say Indy's a better bet to take out the Heat.
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• It is nonsense.

#1 lost twice to the Bulls
                        #2 led the Nets to two finals against a Lakers team that was arguably better than the 90's Bulls, before winning one with the Mavs
                        #3 is Steve Nash and if you've watched basketball in the last 15 years you know how much he's made his teams better and how he's gotten screwed by NBA officiating and a cheap owner
                        #4 is Mark Jackson who also was the starting PG for a finalist team (at least one in Indiana, not sure about NY) and who made everyone around him better.

The fact that none of them have won has nothing to do with PGs, it has to do with the fact that dynasties like the Bulls, the Lakers, the Spurs and now the Heat have always existed in the NBA. Only one team can be the best, and usually that team stays the best for at least 3 years. Add on to that the fact that none of them were even that egregiously paid so as to handicap their teams from adding the scorers needed to compete.

Comment

It is nonsense.

#1 lost twice to the Bulls
                          #2 led the Nets to two finals against a Lakers team that was arguably better than the 90's Bulls, before winning one with the Mavs
                          #3 is Steve Nash and if you've watched basketball in the last 15 years you know how much he's made his teams better and how he's gotten screwed by NBA officiating and a cheap owner
                          #4 is Mark Jackson who also was the starting PG for a finalist team (at least one in Indiana, not sure about NY) and who made everyone around him better.

The fact that none of them have won has nothing to do with PGs, it has to do with the fact that dynasties like the Bulls, the Lakers, the Spurs and now the Heat have always existed in the NBA. Only one team can be the best, and usually that team stays the best for at least 3 years. Add on to that the fact that none of them were even that egregiously paid so as to handicap their teams from adding the scorers needed to compete.
                          And usually those dynasties are led by bigs or wings.

- Heat Dynasty: LBJ
                          - Lakers late 2000s Dynasty: Kobe
                          - Spurs Dynasty: Duncan
                          - Bulls Dynasty: Jordan
                          - Pistons Dynasty: Thomas (this could be your exception but not really, he was hardly ball dominant and the Pistons had a very balanced attack. Thomas didn't even win MVP in both finals they won and Dantley was their leading scorer twice).
                          - Lakers 80s Dynasty: Magic (he's more of a less scoring-oriented version of LBJ than a Rose or CP3, also 6'9).
                          - Celtics 80s Dynasty: Bird

stop

Comment

The fact that none of them have won has nothing to do with PGs,
                            Could be. But since

dynasties like the Bulls, the Lakers, the Spurs and now the Heat have always existed in the NBA
                            and they won multiple championship without a high-assist PG, it could be that having a high assist PG on your roster is not conducive to dynasty-building. Now, I'm not saying that this is the case, but it's at least something worth thinking about.
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• You guys do realize this thread is about Austin Daye signing with the Raptors, right?

I'm pretty sure there are several Lowry-related threads that this argument could be had in, while actually remaining on topic and not derailing the conversation for all other RR posters.

Please stay even somewhat on topic. Cheers.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                You guys do realize this thread is about Austin Daye signing with the Raptors, right?

I'm pretty sure there are several Lowry-related threads that this argument could be had in, while actually remaining on topic and not derailing the conversation for all other RR posters.

Please stay even somewhat on topic. Cheers.
                                Did you just recently become a mod? I swear your name was black a few days ago...

Comment

Working...
                                X