Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other teams moves = change in Raptors plans? or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you look at the low risk moves Masai has made, it appears like while he's hoping play offs(with the existing team), he's prepared for the worst and that is his plan. I don't think Detroit or any teams moves would change the plan.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
      So let me get this straight.
      If someone is optimistic about the Raptors he's a homer.
      If they're pessimistic they're a realist?

I don't get that.
      That's exactly what i said

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
        So let me get this straight.
        If someone is optimistic about the Raptors he's a homer.
        If they're pessimistic they're a realist?

I don't get that.
        I don't think being optimistic about the Raptors means you're a homer necessarily. I'm talking about specific responses where fans put their fingers in their ears and refuse to believe that ANY of the other borderline playoff teams got better besides the Raptors (who ironically enough made the least amount of improvements this summer). Responses that claim the Atlanta Hawks got worse because they lost Josh Smith and Zaza Pachulia, and yet the Pistons and Bucks also got worse for acquiring them. People that say the Cavaliers and Wizards have "hit their ceiling". Ridiculous stuff like that.

I think the Raptors are capable of making the playoffs this season - maybe even the 7th seed if everything breaks in their favor and the other teams they're competing with get some bad breaks. But I also think they could end up 10th just as easily. With big decisions on Lowry/Gay looming, the postseason looking like something of a coinflip at this point, and the 2014 draft being so loaded at the top end - I think it's a good time to tear it down. Maybe I'm a pessimist. Maybe I'm being logical. We shall find out.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
          Im just wondering, when teams make moves, does it directly or indirectly affect Masai's vision/plans for the future? Or should he simply not care at all?

Clearly Detroit's recent move picking up Jennings put them at least, in the Top 5 in the east. I think it puts them right up there with the Knicks battling for the 5th seed.

So if Masai was thinking of riding this roster out and hopefully making the playoffs, clearly Detroit's acquisition of Jennings almost guarantees them a playoff spot therefore pushing washington, cavs and raps further down.

Will this alter Masai's plans?
          Take a middling player from a mediocre team, and put him on another mediocre team, and all of a sudden they're top 5 in the east?

Not sure how you figure that.

Frankly, I'd rather have Brandon Knight than Brandon Jennings. And not just for contract/potential reasons -- Jennings will shoot you out of a lot of games (especially on a team whose bigs are by far their best players).

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
            Well, my babbling of a theory is one thing, but when you say "I am surprised many responders in the thread believe that MU is in a evaluating mode.", my primary point is that I take the man at his word, as I guess many do. I see no reason to question the man's honesty and integrity. Have at it if it works for you, but I feel it's not so unbelievable that many don't.
            Maybe I have been corrupted by the political blog sites I sometimes visit!

You put it too starkly re "the honesty and integrity" values. I did not mean to impugn but rather that MU does not feel a need to divulge any details for obvious reasons...major among them is keeping other gms guessing and quite possibly he is in fact unsure himself because of what the returns might be (too paltry to consider). I just feel that he should know enough of this team by now to have a pretty good judgement of whether he has the core he wants to go to battle with.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
              Man ... Detroit sure does have some respectable names on their roster...
              They could use a near elite SF though ... someone like oh ... I dunno Gay
              I'd be all in for a Gay + Hansborough/Ross for Charlie V + Drummond + Stuckey? + 2014 top 10 protected
              We'd get $17M off the books in 2014 + Drummond + a #15-20 Draft pick ...

Sounds kinda tenforthewin-ish though ...
              DETROIT IS NOT TRADING US DRUMMOND FOR GAY.

And to add a 2014 pick (which they don't have btw)? Are you nuts?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Problem is the Pistons don't have a pick to trade - it belongs to Charlotte.

Drummond is not going to happen, imo, but Monroe could.

Here is who has what picks: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Charlotte makes a lot of sense to me with Gay and Lowry heading there. Problem is they could both leave as FAs leaving Charlotte with nothing. How much do they - or any team - give up in that situation?
                Charlotte would probably give us Kemba Walker + BG + Filler and whichever they think is gonna be worst of the DET, POR and CHA picks.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                  I don't think being optimistic about the Raptors means you're a homer necessarily. I'm talking about specific responses where fans put their fingers in their ears and refuse to believe that ANY of the other borderline playoff teams got better besides the Raptors (who ironically enough made the least amount of improvements this summer). Responses that claim the Atlanta Hawks got worse because they lost Josh Smith and Zaza Pachulia, and yet the Pistons and Bucks also got worse for acquiring them. People that say the Cavaliers and Wizards have "hit their ceiling". Ridiculous stuff like that.

I think the Raptors are capable of making the playoffs this season - maybe even the 7th seed if everything breaks in their favor and the other teams they're competing with get some bad breaks. But I also think they could end up 10th just as easily. With big decisions on Lowry/Gay looming, the postseason looking like something of a coinflip at this point, and the 2014 draft being so loaded at the top end - I think it's a good time to tear it down. Maybe I'm a pessimist. Maybe I'm being logical. We shall find out.
                  THIS is the point of view of a realist.

An optimist thinks that we're a lock for the 5th or 6th seed and are about on par with the Knicks. A pessimist thinks we're a lock for 11th and every player on our team except Jonas + Amir suck and are overpaid.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                    THIS is the point of view of a realist.

An optimist thinks that we're a lock for the 5th or 6th seed and are about on par with the Knicks. A pessimist thinks we're a lock for 11th and every player on our team except Jonas + Amir suck and are overpaid.
                    I think we're a lock for somewhere between the 1st and 15th spot. I'd say THAT makes me a realist.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                      Charlotte would probably give us Kemba Walker + BG + Filler and whichever they think is gonna be worst of the DET, POR and CHA picks.
                      I think this is maybe a little lowball. Rudy's player option means he's effectively an expiring contract (as you have previously and correctly noted) and so is Lowry, so we send them $20M in capspace that also happens to be good players rather than, say, Biedrins/Jefferson level of usefulness.

I think Rudy + Lowry nets us, at a minimum: Kemba, Ben Gordon (who has to be part of the deal, both because of his large expiring contract making the money work and because Charlotte very much wants him gone), and at least two first-round picks. Charlotte can't trade their 2014 first-rounder because it's already traded to Chicago (albeit on a protected basis so Charlotte probably still gets it this year). So... probably the Detroit and Portland picks, which will most likely both be mid-round this year. If MKG continues to disappoint in Charlotte (and he was not very good in summer league, so that could definitely happen) I could see them throwing him in as well because with Rudy on the team MKG becomes strictly bench material.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Problem is the Pistons don't have a pick to trade - it belongs to Charlotte.

Drummond is not going to happen, imo, but Monroe could.

Here is who has what picks: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Charlotte makes a lot of sense to me with Gay and Lowry heading there. Problem is they could both leave as FAs leaving Charlotte with nothing. How much do they - or any team - give up in that situation?
                        If Gay is interested, we could work out a PO + extend and trade. That would give him his 17M this year, 19M next year, and then whatever CHA negotiates with him for one more year. That's a decent bit of security, as well as flexibility, a nice middling length contract. Lowry would have to be a risk for them, since he's unlikely to sign an extension.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The team that I see being the most interested in Gay (other than Detroit) would be Washington. It would be his home town. They have a history of overpaying for talent and they want to make the playoffs.

Washington has their 2014 pick as well.. so a deal like Gay for Ariza + one of Beals or Porter and their 2014 pick (top 8 protected) is what I would be looking at.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            The team that I see being the most interested in Gay (other than Detroit) would be Washington. It would be his home town. They have a history of overpaying for talent and they want to make the playoffs.

Washington has their 2014 pick as well.. so a deal like Gay for Ariza + one of Beals or Porter and their 2014 pick (top 8 protected) is what I would be looking at.
                            Yeah, I could see an Okafor + Ariza + 2014 pick (top 3 protected) for Gay + Gray trade. Doubt we get a pick and a prospect - probably one or the other. Can't do your deal, as they'd have to send out more salary to absorb Gay's contract.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

They wouldn't give up that much for Gay. Maybe if it was just Porter + Ariza, but I don't see them including Beal and a draft pick in a trade that only lands them Rudy.

Comment

Washington would not do Beal or Porter straight up for Gay, let alone throw in picks and expirings.

Comment

Working...
                                X