Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey TorStar- we deserve a Raptor's beat reporter that actually likes basketball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey TorStar- we deserve a Raptor's beat reporter that actually likes basketball.

From the genius blog of Doug Smith:

If there was any doubt — and I doubt there’s been for a couple of weeks — the direction that Masai Ujiri is going now with the HOTH is crystal clear.

(Hey Doug, if there was never any doubt among fans and readers – then why would you make this statement as the headline of your sht analysis of the Daye signing?)

He likes what he’s got, wants to at least give it chance and he’s only filling in the roster with cheap, no-risk additions.
    (Duh?)

The latest? Austin Daye, on a ridiculously low contract that goes two years for $2 million with the second year only at the team’s option.

The “news” broke while I was being Argo Boy…

(I wonder how many other legit basketball writers moonlight in other sports instead of doing their job and getting scoops because they hate the sport of basketball so much? )

…I didn’t think it was worth going nuts over while I had other stuff on my plate last night; I think that was the right decision.

(Look here Smith, I don’t care how “busy” you are to do your job or that you have “a lot on your plate”(likely food) – I simply HATE your style of ho-hum reporting)

Btw, I tried posting my rants last night on the Star…then I find out that the “comments are moderated by the AUTHOR.” Really Star? Not even the Editor? The author himself? Do you want feedback or bs?

Douche Smith
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I just don't like his smug style of writing and how it seems he'd rather do anything else then cover the Raptors.

Man, check out Griff’s blog for the length and the heart of it. Here is a man who clearly loves his job, is good at his job, is well connected in his sport and loves his sport. Doesn’t treat covering baseball like chore.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/blueja...tom_cheek.html

I hope the Star’s sports editor is smart enough to look at this output and then call Smith into his office and ask:

a) How come whenever a Raptors’ story breaks, you simply just quote someone from SI or Yahoo? Why can’t you break your stories on your own freakin’ home team?
      b) If I read another blog of yours where you spend half the blog writing some inane sht about your Super Family, soccer, or tennis, I’ll fire your azz.
      c) If I read another blog of yours where you take the juicy Raptors’ rumour of the day and write about ho-hum style and tell readers not to get too worked up…and then the story breaks the very next day – you’re fired.

Comment

Dude, you honestly have nothing better to do than rant about some reporter? Ugh, get a life ... like honest question: Do you think you are accomplishing anything with this? Other than making people sick-minded people happy from hatred? (Honestly a question)

P.S.: But yeah Griffin is pretty good
        Last edited by mike, prague; Fri Aug 2, 2013, 06:25 AM.

Comment

This is a brutal, and ridiculous thread. We got a guy here completely flipping out on a reporter, covering a lottery team, during the dogs days of the OFFSEASON, not hopping on a fringe pine rider FA signing.

You're lucky you're getting anything at all Bud, it simply isn't news.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
            Douche Smith
            See, I wasn't going there at all but I like the direction you're taking in general. How about:

Smug Smith

Comment

All we need to do is get rid of Smith, Armstrong, Rautins; we will truly be free of everything from the colangelo era.

At the same time can we get jonesy and smith from radio onto tv, pretty please?

Comment

No way, I love Jack. He's the only thing that makes Devlin tolerable.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                  No way, I love Jack. He's the only thing that makes Devlin tolerable.
                  Ugh. Devlin is the worst out of ALL of them. And he somehow managed to slink his way into the Jays announcer box and is calling those games now too! Can't get away from him!

Comment

You know what's nuts, I can't stand Devlin but when he's with Fratello on TNT he's actually legitimately good. I don't get it, I'm not sure if it's because he gets to stop being a homer or because Fratello just brings out the best in him.

Comment

"Hey TorStar- we deserve a Raptor's beat reporter that actually likes basketball".

So how do i apply for this job?
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                        You know what's nuts, I can't stand Devlin but when he's with Fratello on TNT he's actually legitimately good. I don't get it, I'm not sure if it's because he gets to stop being a homer or because Fratello just brings out the best in him.
                        Devlin is good on everything other than Raps casts. He has filled in for the Jays on a number of occassions this year and I quite like him on the broadcasts. I think part of the problem with the Raps is that the team has been so bad and boring the last few years that it's difficult to feign the requisite degree of interest, intensity and professionalism for 82 games. It must be a drag to have to sit there and watch crap basketball that much. We can turn off the channel. He has to sit there and call the game. 82 times. No matter what.

EDIT: He's also done CFL games in the past and handled them quite well. He's a pro. He just needs to tone down the homerism stuff with the Raps.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          He just needs to tone down the homerism stuff with the Raps.
                          Except I believe this has been mandated by MLSE. Look at Chuck Swirsky and how much people loved him.
                          When he left, people were crushed!! In replacing him, MLSE knew people loved Chucks enthusiasm, and would be smart to duplicate this going forward.

I only think this because, as people have pointed out, when Devlin's on NBC or ESPN, he's completely different.

Comment

Swirsky still calls the Bulls game as a massive homer. That's what he does.

I don't mind Devlin, I don't care what people say. I like my league pass and I can say there might be three other local broadcasts that have better announcing teams than the Raps (if you don't count Leo).

Also keep in mind HE'S NEVER ANNOUNCED A WINNING SEASON. It's really hard to stay positive and not be all doom and gloom when, you know, he's being paid by the Raptors. So I can excuse the goofy shit once in a while when he's constantly watching his team get killed almost every night.

Jack Armstrong is king.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Ugh. Devlin is the worst out of ALL of them. And he somehow managed to slink his way into the Jays announcer box and is calling those games now too! Can't get away from him!
                              What? Really? I was watching a Jays game the other night and thought to myself : Hm ... that voice sounds an awful lot like Matt De ... Nah... can't be him ... I should quit the weed ...

Glad to hear I wasn't hearing things ... but sad for the Jay fans though ...

Comment

Working...
                              X