Simmons: "Screw it, I'm buying Bargnani stock!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simmons: "Screw it, I'm buying Bargnani stock!"

Just so you don't think I'm piling on the Knicks — I actually liked their Andrea Bargnani trade! These last two years, he was trapped in the Amtrak bathroom of NBA situations: It was the perfect storm of "high expectations" + "lavish contract" + "limited player who could thrive in the right situation but suck in the wrong one" + "front office with no game plan" + "perenially lousy team" + "frustrated fan base" + "lots of booing" + "giant bull's-eye on the back" + "shooting slump" + "injuries" … and by the time it was over, people were congratulating new Raptors honcho Masai Ujiri for getting a protected first-rounder and two harmlessly bad contracts for the Italian Byron Mullens.

Mullens, 2012-13: 10.6 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 38.5% FG, 31.7% 3FG, 3.9 3FGA, 12.35 PER, $2.25 million.
    Bargnani, 2012-13: 12.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 39.9% FG, 30.9 3FG, 3.5 3FGA, 11.2 PER, $10 million.

Screw it, I'm buying Bargnani stock! Stick him on the right team as a stretch 5, get his confidence going and he'll be much closer to 2009 Bargnani (15.4 PPG, 40.9% 3FG) than 2013's abomination.16 Would you ever in a million years play Bargnani and Amar'e Stoudemire together, or Bargnani at the 5 and Carmelo at the 4? No!!!! PLEASE NO!!!!! But you can play Tyson Chandler, Carmelo and Andrea Bargnani together. I think they'll be weirdly effective. (Thinking.) Crap, people are gonna throw this paragraph back in my face in five months. Dammit. Let's just move on.
    Source - Click here

I don't disagree. Bargnani has some serious skill, he lacked the proper mental game. A change can often help, the mind is a weird place once you get in and poke around in it a bit. I am really interested to see how he makes out in NYC. I am not a Bargnani hater at all, but I know he was going no place here, so, lets see what he can do somewhere else.

Its a win - win for me really, he does well I'm happy, he fails, hahaha I'm also happy.

Comment

There is definitely potential there for Bargs to contribute to the knicks offense. But, ultimately, they are paying $10-11 mil per for a frontcourt player to shoot deep shots and really nothing more. That Mullens guy looks like a steal compared to Bargs, at least he rebounded. And seriously, 40% FG for a 7-footer is awful.

Comment

After seven years do you think the light will suddenly come on? I guess the thinking by some is "maybe because he's in New York" where AB had some of his best games as a Raptor.

If Bargnani plays true to form Knick fans will be unmerciful.

Comment

Simmons isn't talking about "the light coming on", Simmons is talking about him getting back to where he was in terms of productivity. Very possible.

Comment

Anything is possible, I suppose. Bill Simmons is just being an antagonist or contrarian in this case. It makes the off season more interesting.

Comment

Ok, so as a basketball fan,. and a guy who I assume would say he has a little knowledge bout the game, you're saying on this thread, right here, that Andrea Bargnani hasn't got a ton of skill?

Comment

Working...
              X