Julyan Stone Still A Possibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julyan Stone Still A Possibility?

Take this with a grain of salt considering the source. Nevertheless, interesting.

After the initial contract fell through, Julyan Stone is still in discussions for the Toronto Raptors to honor their deal, with three other NBA teams emerging as a serious suitor, a league source told RealGM on Friday.

While a contract hasn’t been signed, Masai Ujiri and Stone’s representatives have maintained dialogue surrounding a potential deal for the free agent. At 6-foot-6, Stone is a tantalizing, natural point guard and has wanted to join a team that will give him opportunity to play significant minutes.

After agreeing to a two-year deal with the Raptors, Stone had suffered a medical setback, but he’s now fully healthy and able to pass any physical exam. The Raptors signed Dwight Buycks and D.J. Augustin behind Kyle Lowry, creating some difficulty in bringing back Stone.
    Source - RealGM

I remember Ujiri said that he needs to get healthy and then we'll see.

but why Ujiri still in discussion with this kid if there's no place for this "opportunity" to happen?

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      I remember Ujiri said that he needs to get healthy and then we'll see.

but why Ujiri still in discussion with this kid if there's no place for this "opportunity" to happen?
      I like where your mind is going -- we need a Tenforthewin conspiracy trade theory. Lowry getting shopped.

Comment

Sounds like Stone is healthy now and his agent wants the news floating around that a team wanted to sign him earlier in free agency in order to entice other teams to offer him a deal. Even if we still wanted him, we can't really give him significant minutes at PG since the other 3 PG's on the roster all can't play SG. So he'd just be playing spot minutes at SG as a defensive stopper. Not sure if that would interest him or us.

Comment

They could still waive Q-Rich. If Massai is actually still talking to him than he must think very highly of him. Would be his favourite for the back up PG.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            They could still waive Q-Rich. If Massai is actually still talking to him than he must think very highly of him. Would be his favourite for the back up PG.
            Yes, let's have arguable 3 back-ups to Lowry. Like original post, I'm taking this Julyan Stone thing with a grain of salt.

I will say, I'd take Buycks over Stone.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I say trade Lowry,

Start Augustin with Buycks and Stone off the bench.

Perfect way to begin the tank session while developing young talent!
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I hope it's true. I was really excited about him.

Julyan Stone, Nuggets (undrafted)
                It's easy to understand why Stone went undrafted, as he is a point guard from a non-power conference (Conference USA) who couldn't shoot well from long range and is not very athletic. Of course, Lin made only 34 percent of his 3s in the Ivy League and, until recently, was not a guy who made many deep shots.

Stone, however, is a true point guard in a shooting guard's body. The 6-foot-6, 200-pound Stone directs, calculates and makes good decision after good decision. And he's a demon on defense, capable of defending all three perimeter positions, which means he's the perfect guy to play next to an undersized but sweet-shooting combo guard.

Though Stone himself does not project to be a guy who can suddenly burst onto the scene as a scorer, it's certainly possible that he can quickly become a guy who plays major minutes successfully, with the right teammates next to him, since there are so many things he does do well as the lead guard.

page/RookieWatch-120216/the-next-jeremy-lin-nba
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Sounds like Stone is healthy now and his agent wants the news floating around that a team wanted to sign him earlier in free agency in order to entice other teams to offer him a deal. Even if we still wanted him, we can't really give him significant minutes at PG since the other 3 PG's on the roster all can't play SG. So he'd just be playing spot minutes at SG as a defensive stopper. Not sure if that would interest him or us.
                  Well is Kyle not in his contract year? Get rid of him, save money next year and have these three playing PG. That way we don't waste another year of having a PG controversy.

Would be nice for one year as a Raps fan to not have a PG controversy. lol

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                    Well is Kyle not in his contract year? Get rid of him, save money next year and have these three playing PG. That way we don't waste another year of having a PG controversy.

Would be nice for one year as a Raps fan to not have a PG controversy. lol
                    Wait, what's the PG controversy you speak of?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Ya and we can clear it if we get rid of the only one our PGs that has had any success and replace him with a guy who I doubt has played 500 minutes in the NBA.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        LMAO, you soooooooooooooo funny!

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                          LMAO, you soooooooooooooo funny!
                          I was being totally serious. WTF are you talking about PG controversy? Are you being sarcastic?

Comment

shhhh..... he doesn't realize that calderon doesn't play hear anymore ...

don't ruin the fun for him...

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              I say trade Lowry,

Start Augustin with Buycks and Stone off the bench.

Perfect way to begin the tank session while developing young talent!
                              Lowry is super cheap and poised for a breakout season (actually, a return to form) with his injuries cleared up. I really don't get the urge to trade him. In order to develop our guys we need a good PG and Lowry is the only good PG on the roster, no one else is even close.

What exactly is it that you don't like about Lowry? Why can't he be the long term solution at PG? He's only 27 years old.

He was 7th in the league last year in Pure Point Rating, and is consistently top 10 in that statistic. He was 13th in Ast/TO ratio. 8th in Ast/FGA. He plays pretty good defense and has shown to be very coachable, completely changing the way he played in order to suit Casey's system (more Calderon-esque, less of a scorer).

I think the only reason we haven't extended him is we're trying to preserve as much cap space as possible. It's still entirely possible that we end up trading Lowry, but I wouldn't want to do so without some other plan in place for the PG of the future (either in the draft, trade, or free agency). When teams have crappy PG's it makes the entire team worse, which is counter productive to player development.

Comment

Working...
                              X