No announcement yet.

Signs Of Tanking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, I think I saw someone ask 'if Dwight Howard were in the Draft with Wiggins, who would go #1?' ... it'd be Dwight. In my opinion anyway.

Big men with that kind of dominating gameplay don't come along very often; certainly less frequently than a freakishly athletic 6'7"/6'8" Guard/Forward.
    And Oden was absolutely in that mould.

Noel, Drummond, or even Anthony Davis (even though he did go #1), were never viewed as having that 2-way dominance potential, like Shaq, Dwight and Oden.
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Aug 23, 2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Also, I think I saw someone ask 'if Dwight Howard were in the Draft with Wiggins, who would go #1?' ... it'd be Dwight. In my opinion anyway.

Big men with that kind of dominating gameplay don't come along very often, and Oden was absolutely in that mould.
      Noels, Anthony Davis or Drummond were never viewed as having that 2-way dominance potential, like Shaq, Dwight and Oden.
      Agree with this. If I were to do a draft with all the #1 picks since 03 based on hype at the time it'd look like this:

1.) LeBron James
      2.) Dwight Howard
      3.) Greg Oden
      4.) Blake Griffin
      5.) John Wall
      6.) Anthony Davis
      7.) Derrick Rose
      8.) Kyrie Irving
      9.) Andrew Bogut
      10.) Andrea Bargnani
      11.) Anthony Bennett

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
        Agree with this. If I were to do a draft with all the #1 picks since 03 based on hype at the time it'd look like this:

1.) LeBron James
        2.) Dwight Howard
        3.) Greg Oden
        4.) Blake Griffin
        5.) John Wall
        6.) Anthony Davis
        7.) Derrick Rose
        8.) Kyrie Irving
        9.) Andrew Bogut
        10.) Andrea Bargnani
        11.) Anthony Bennett
        I'd even say the hype around Oden, at its peak, was more than Dwight.
        According to the media, Oden was supposed to win Championships. Not 1. Not 2. Not 3. Not 4.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post

1.) LeBron James
          2.) Dwight Howard
          3.) Greg Oden
          4.) Blake Griffin
          5.) John Wall
          6.) Anthony Davis
          7.) Derrick Rose
          8.) Kyrie Irving
          9.) Andrew Bogut
          10.) Andrea Bargnani
          11.) Anthony Bennett
          I think you've got Oden way too high. There were lots of people, including media/experts who argued that Durant should be #1 over Oden. I think Griffin, Irving and Wall have come out with about as much hype as anybody, as clear-cut consensus #1 picks. I think they'd fill slots #3-5, follwed by Rose and Davis... going purely on pre-draft hype. Although I'm not sure if there's a point to this, or what all of this has to do with signs of tanking...

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Although I'm not sure if there's a point to this, or what all of this has to do with signs of tanking...
            HAHAHAHA... shit. Good point.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I think you've got Oden way too high. There were lots of people, including media/experts who argued that Durant should be #1 over Oden. I think Griffin, Irving and Wall have come out with about as much hype as anybody, as clear-cut consensus #1 picks. I think they'd fill slots #3-5, follwed by Rose and Davis... going purely on pre-draft hype. Although I'm not sure if there's a point to this, or what all of this has to do with signs of tanking...
              Really, really disagree on Irving. A lot of people were knocking the Cavs HARD for not taking D-Will and then grabbing Kemba or Knight at #4. There were a lot of questions about Irving because of how many games he missed, and people didn't consider him a lock to become a star. Wall, Griffin, Oden were all on a completely different level of hype from him. To me it's kinda like this in tiers:

Tier 1: LeBron
              Tier 2: Howard, Oden
              Tier 3: Griffin, Wall, Davis
              Tier 4: Rose, Irving
              Tier 5: Bogut, Bargnani, Bennett

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                HAHAHAHA... shit. Good point.
                Lol true... we are quite a ways off topic.

Comment

• And too bring it back to Matt's original point; if Wiggins doesn't go #1, it will be a true surprise, and a true disappointment. That would be like if Lebron didn't go #1. Very few guys are projected, and expected, to go #1 before they even play in their 'final' year as a amateur. Lebron's the last one I can think of. Maybe my brain is fuzzy though. And I would say Oden fell into that catergory of early expectations.

So in that sense, the comparisons are legit.
                  Last edited by Joey; Fri Aug 23, 2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X