Signs Of Tanking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmie wrote: View Post
    You should stop putting it lightly and just say what you mean. You don't appear to have a hard time doing that elsewhere. And I'm a big boy, I can take it.

But calling what I posted "a racially charged joke" when I didn't mention race at all? You should tread carefully, 'cause that's an extrapolation of my statement that I will not accept "lightly"...
    To be fair, though race wasn't specifically said, referencing NBA players as a gun-toting gangster culture is most certainly speaking to the Afro-American segment of the players, from which it has all come from. Unless I'm mistaken.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
      Hang in there Xixak. For all the talk about respectful dialog here, it sometimes doesn't encompass respecting sensitivities of some posters. Most of us have lines to cross about what's "funny" and what's not, but I haven't figured out yet where that line is here. Hell, if I let my often twisted sense of humour loose, I'd likely be banned within hours, no matter how much I called it just a joke.

I guess the general rule of thumb is that in reference to someone outside the RR club, it's free game, despite the fact it's a public forum, but gawd help you if you apply the same sense of humour directly to someone here. A bit of a double standard perhaps, but what the hell can you do? My advice would be that if you find something to be distasteful, state it once and let it be, no matter what the flood of responses that may come.
      That is FANTASTIC advice.
      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
        To be fair, though race wasn't specifically said, referencing NBA players as a gun-toting gangster culture is most certainly speaking to the Afro-American segment of the players, from which it has all come from. Unless I'm mistaken.
        You are mistaken.

American gun culture, in general (vs. Canada/Toronto, if I need to be clear) was the focus of my statement, not that I feel any real need to defend it here. But I will also say that pro athletes (again, in general, to be clear, not just black athletes, or basketball players) are a less-wordly, more insular bunch who seem to believe they are at a higher level of risk of violence than the general public, and therefore seem disproportionately inclined to want to carry firearms.

Yes, it was a joke. It wasn't, in any way other than that extrapolated by some readers, "racially charged". If you took it that way, you mistook it.
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Going back on topic.. would Gay be unhappy playing in Charlotte? Well he might unless you showed him the money. He doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract so either way it shouldn't really matter if he's happy or not as long as Charlotte believes they are better off as a team with Gay in the lineup.

Unfortunately fans don't have access to what GM's are really thinking.. they may not even want Gay and so the whole discussion could be moot. I personally would call Grunfeld and see if he would be interested like he was when Memphis was shopping Gay.

Comment

Hoo, boy. You are a unique one, that's for sure. I thought Multipaul had the market cornered; but I was wrong, there are more of you everywhere! Good old Xix, can't beat the Xix...
            Funny you mention Multipaul. I was thinking about him yesterday and if he has returned.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Funny you mention Multipaul. I was thinking about him yesterday and if he has returned.
              He's probably on a Knicks board driving Knicks fans crazy. Or at least I hope he is.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post

Btw you don't need to make rude sarcastic remarks towards me man. We're just debating there's no need for any animosity.

Comment

• Whoa, whoa, now. I don't care how heated a conversation gets here. There is no reason for me have to turn on my computer to see Alannis Morisette.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    Whoa, whoa, now. I don't care how heated a conversation gets here. There is no reason for me have to turn on my computer to see Alannis Morisette.
                    Hold up. To pull a page out of Xixak's book..what on earth..is wrong with Alanis Morisette?
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• The most ironic thing about that song, "Ironic"... none of the lyrics are actually ironic
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Getting away from the whole guns derail:

Xixak wrote: View Post
                        Jesus...

Ok more realistic scenario:

Charlotte is the only team that wants Rudy Gay, MKG has been playing well but is still raw and they would like to make a playoff push. That being said, they are not willing to move MKG or the Detroit pick (they can't trade theirs because Chicago has it protected).

They offer us Sessions, Ben Gordon and the Blazers top-12 protected pick for Gay. What do we do?
                        No Sessions. Ask for Detroit's top 8 protected pick and Biyombo instead. Settle for one of those two plus Sessions/Gordon/the Blazers pick.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
                          Umm calling someone "dude" or "bro" is not an insult by any stretch of the imagination. I start conversations with my friends like that... so if you're taking it as trying to degrade someone, then Lord help you.

Saying "stop" or "what on earth" and making a general reference (not I did not say any specific poster was on crack) to being "on crack" are not even in the same category as making a racially charged joke. Just because some "thugs" or "gangsters" might have played in the NBA before or still play in it currently does not mean that the players in the league would find a gun-favoring environment attractive. It's an incredibly ignorant thing to say. And I'm only using the word "ignorant" to put it lightly.

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                            Getting away from the whole guns derail:

No Sessions. Ask for Detroit's top 8 protected pick and Biyombo instead. Settle for one of those two plus Sessions/Gordon/the Blazers pick.
                            Yeah man cause Sessions and a lottery pick + Biyombo have the same value.

Comment

You are mistaken.

American gun culture, in general (vs. Canada/Toronto, if I need to be clear) was the focus of my statement, not that I feel any real need to defend it here. But I will also say that pro athletes (again, in general, to be clear, not just black athletes, or basketball players) are a less-wordly, more insular bunch who seem to believe they are at a higher level of risk of violence than the general public, and therefore seem disproportionately inclined to want to carry firearms.

Yes, it was a joke. It wasn't, in any way other than that extrapolated by some readers, "racially charged". If you took it that way, you mistook it.
                              I'm tempted to point out that this is just not owning up to reality, but let's just drop it.
                              Last edited by p00ka; Fri Aug 16, 2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Going back on topic.. would Gay be unhappy playing in Charlotte? Well he might unless you showed him the money. He doesn't have a no-trade clause in his contract so either way it shouldn't really matter if he's happy or not as long as Charlotte believes they are better off as a team with Gay in the lineup.

Unfortunately fans don't have access to what GM's are really thinking.. they may not even want Gay and so the whole discussion could be moot. I personally would call Grunfeld and see if he would be interested like he was when Memphis was shopping Gay.
                                Plus Charlotte has the MJ factor. No matter how bad that team is, when a player walks into his front office and gets told how they'd like him to be a part of it, that player is likely to get goosebumps when it's his Airness on the other side of the table saying those things.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X