Stoudamire Regrets Way He Left Raps, Hints At Possible Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoudamire Regrets Way He Left Raps, Hints At Possible Return

t didn’t end the way Damon Stoudamire wanted it to, and he wishes it had been different.

Stoudamire, the first ever collegiate player selected by the Toronto Raptors has made it known every chance he has had since he left Toronto in a huff and was traded to Portland in February of 1998.

It was turbulent time in Toronto for the neophyte franchise. Ownership of the team was in limbo thanks to a shotgun clause that was enacted forcing one of the two owners to either cede their share of ownership or put up the money to buyout the other side.

Unfortunately for Mighty Mouse, he was on the side with minority owner Isiah Thomas who couldn’t put the cash together in time to buy the entire franchise. Thomas drafted Stoudamire with his first pick and it wasn’t a popular selection as many fans of the new franchise were disappointed that the name called wasn’t UCLA’s Ed O’Bannon who was coming off a national championship with the storied collegiate program. Stoudamire’s resulting loyalty to Thomas had him asked to be traded when Thomas lost his ownership stake, and the rest as they say is history. But it’s history that the diminutive guard wishes would have taken a different course.

“I was young,” said Stoudamire with a smile. “Basketball is a business and as you get older it’s more about building relationships and that’s more important than the selfishness in which I left here. For me, I wish I could have done that over again because it just wasn’t done the right way.”

“I don’t think that I handled it the right way and I just wish that I could have cleaned it up.”
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-he-left-raps/

Stoudamire’s affinity for Toronto recently had him exploring an assistant coaching position with the team but as we know, life is about timing. In this instance, the timing just wasn’t right as he had just committed to becoming an assistant coach at his alma mater, the University of Arizona.

“An opportunity presented itself and it was a great opportunity and to be honest with you, the timing just wasn’t right,” said Stoudamire shaking his head.

But he doesn’t rule out a chance to return to Toronto in the future.

“If the timing was right I would have come back. But who is to say that things can’t be revisited in the future.”
    Follow the link for the middle portion and a video. It's a fun read.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

I was pretty much crushed when he got traded. I wouldn't mind seeing him back with the franchise in some capacity though I'm not sure how well he would be received by fans. Good to know that he acknowledges his mistake.

Comment

I'm a bridge burnt kind of guy. Also a huge Damon fan but I give people one chance. Thanks for the apology but selfishly he wants a job. So he would say anything.

Comment

can someone pleassssse tell me who this man is, why he left the raptors, in what way he left the raptors and why he wants to come back? Thanks
        i would have read the article our done some research but im too lazy and not bout reading paragraphs , already do enough of that at school....
        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
        No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
          can someone pleassssse tell me who this man is, why he left the raptors, in what way he left the raptors and why he wants to come back? Thanks
          i would have read the article our done some research but im too lazy and not bout reading paragraphs , already do enough of that at school....
          Just skim through that summary I posted. It's not even that much effort and it answers all the questions you have.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
            Just skim through that summary I posted. It's not even that much effort and it answers all the questions you have.
            ugh the most reading i've done at once this summer, but if he wants to come back i really dont see what the problem is, another vet in the locker room. the more the merrier

tryin to pull of a jordan i see
            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
            No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

I believe he wants to come back in some capacity other than as a player. You must of misinterpreted.

Comment

Would love to see him back as an assistant coach.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

I idolized that man in my youth. I never blamed him, I blamed the Raptors that he left.

Come back Mighty Mouse!!

Comment

my first raptor memories was watching basketball for the first time and watching him put the team on his back making furious late game comebacks on my 15 inch black and white tv using rabbit ears.

ive been a raptor and basketball fan ever since.

Comment

can someone pleassssse tell me who this man is
                      for real?

Comment

And you call yourself a raptors fan -shakes my head-
                        The first ever pick by the Raptors in Toronto 7th overall, Damon Stoudamire aka "Mighty mouse"

Comment

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            And you call yourself a raptors fan -shakes my head-
                            The first ever pick by the Raptors in Toronto 7th overall, Damon Stoudamire aka "Mighty mouse"

I knew who Stoudamire was around her age. But, I just knew him from playing for memphis. I never knew he was good and that he played for the raps until some time later on.

But, to admittedly say you dont know who he is and then ask in a thread with an article explaing who he is in a raptors forum for soneone to explain him to you..that's a move that opens you to some heavy criticism. Haha

Comment

Organizational Failure

The Mighty Mouse trade killed me at the time. He was the Raptors first star and he was great here. I don't blame him entirely for what went on. The organization was not run properly and it was due to a bunch of people with no pro basketball experience calling the shots(Zeke was just one man and he didn't have final say). Damon was just a kid and I can get why he would feel the way he felt but whoever was in his ear didn't do him right. He should have never handled it that way, he pulled the plug far too soon. He should have exhausted his other options. That's on him and he's owned up to it many times now. I've read many, many articles where he was asked about Toronto and his response has been along the lines of the article posted here. I don't hold anything against the guy anymore, I've long forgotten about all that. I'd love to see him back here as a coach if he's a good fit for the team. We'll see what the future brings.

Comment

Working...
                              X