No announcement yet.

Nash, Wiggins and Canadian National Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, I know. But it's time to move on! This is the new era and the next generation of Canadian basketball!
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

True...the Gretz to Sid the Kid type stuff comes to mind.

Comment

For us basketball starved people, Team Canada continues its world domination today. Here's the schedule:

http://www.fibaamericas.com/en/torne...REHEBIS&xtab=2

I haven't gone the extra mile to check if it's on TV anywhere. If you know please share!
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
          ...and his nerves in his feet don't work. BUT GUYS! TODD MACCULLOCH!
          The agony of de feet!

Comment

Update on the SNT:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/21...asketball-nats

TORONTO - Final auditions are about to get underway for Canada’s senior men’s basketball squad.

Training camp has concluded and now, with only a week remaining before Canada’s most important games in two years, players on the bubble will try to prove their worth in Puerto Rico.

Canada will play four games at the Tuto Marchand Continental Cup there, starting Thursday, against the hosts, Argentina, the Dominican Republic and Brazil.

The event is the traditional tuneup for the FIBA Americas tourney, which tips from Caracas, Venezuela, Aug. 30. Canada and its three opponents in Puerto Rico will be joined by six other teams in Venezuela, with four berths at next year’s FIBA World Cup in Spain up for grabs. Canada has not competed at a major event since finishing sixth of eight teams at the 2011 FIBA Americas.

But the organization is now on a well-documented upswing and swept Jamaica in a pair of friendlies earlier this month before practicing and scrimmaging in Orlando recently.

Top scoring threat Carl English left the squad earlier this week for “personal reasons.” The Newfoundland native had been battling numerous injuries, but had pronounced himself nearly ready to go recently.

“This is an unfortunate situation for Carl. He has been a mainstay with the program for several years and a strong influence on the team during training camp, but we will move forward without him. We will miss his scoring ability, veteran leadership and international experience,” said head coach Jay Triano in a release on Tuesday.

Triano will use the upcoming four games to help decide who his final two cuts will be. The loss of English likely increases the chances scoring guard Devoe Joseph, of Pickering, sticks around. Brady Heslip (Burlington), Andy Rautins (Syracuse, N.Y.), Cory Joseph (Pickering), Kris Joseph (Montreal), Levon Kendall (Vancouver) and Andrew Nicholson (Mississauga) will need to pick things up offensively in the absence of English.

Forward Kyle Landry (Calgary), point guard Junior Cadougan (Toronto) and forward Aaron Doornekamp (Odessa, Ont.) likely will need to make the best impressions to make the cut, though Triano has said he has been impressed by Cadougan and Doornekamp’s toughness.

The Tuto Marchand will give Canada’s less-experienced contributors a taste of what is in store when the contests start to really matter, but Triano cautioned that it is an extremely tough tournament to prepare for, due to its unpredictability.

Teams often hold back certain players or offensive or defensive strategies, knowing that crucial games, against the same opponents, are only a week away.

Triano had a novel solution to that problem.

“It’s a fine line between whether we go out and show all of our stuff and see where we stand, or whether we go out and play cat and mouse and I’m sure the other teams are trying to figure out the same thing,” he said before breaking into a smile.

“Maybe we’ll (Triano and the opposing head coach) get together before the game and say: ‘OK, let’s you try in the first half, we’ll try in the second half’ …

“I think a lot would get lost in translation anyway,” he said with a shrug.

Instead, the head coach will have to find a balance of getting his charges ready and keeping opponents guessing. Playing his end-of-bench hopefuls extended minutes could help on that front.

MISSING IN ACTION

Canada isn’t the only team with elite players (Andrew Wiggins, Kelly Olynyk, Anthony Bennett, etc.) not participating this summer. Top opposing players Al Horford (Dominican Republic, Atlanta), Manu Ginobili (Argentina, San Antonio), Anderson Varejao (Brazil, Cleveland) and other NBAers Tiago Splitter (Brazil, San Antonio), Carlos Delfino (Argentina, Milwaukee), Pablo Prigioni (Argentina, New York), Leandro Barbosa (Brazil, Boston) and Nene (Brazil, Washington) won’t be playing in Argentina or Venezuela.

Still, good players will be on hand. The top names include: Luis Scola (Argentina, Indiana) ; Marcelo Huertas (Brazil), Francisco Garcia (Dominican Republic, Sacramento); Jack Michael Martinez (Dominican Republic); ex-NBAer Daniel Santiago (Puerto Rico), J.J. Barea (Puerto Rico, Minnesota), former Raptor Carlos Arroyo, who has helped Puerto Rico finish second in the previous two editions of the Tuto Marchand tourney, and young prodigy Karl Towns, just 17, of the Dominican Republic, who will eventually play for Kentucky.

AROUND THE RIM

Steve Nash was beloved by teammates for his unselfishness on and off the court. Nash used to treat his fellow Canadians to dinner regularly when he was still an active player with the program. New leaders Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph appear to be carrying on the tradition. The pair recently bought every member of the squad custom Team Canada Beats By Dre headphones.

CANADIAN SCHEDULE FOR TUTU MARCHAND CUP
            •Thursday vs. Puerto Rico 8:30 p.m.
            •Friday vs. Argentina 6 p.m.
            •Saturday vs. Dominican Republic 8:30
            •Monday vs. Brazil 6 p.m.

Comment

Nash has taken Kabongo under his wing hopefully this means he can get better remaining unsigned and not go to China or something. Honestly who knew he was that much of a project struggled in SL got booted off his national team during training camp! This has been a bad year for my under the radar pick Kabongo

I guess he should have stayed in College another year.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                Nash has taken Kabongo under his wing hopefully this means he can get better remaining unsigned and not go to China or something. Honestly who knew he was that much of a project struggled in SL got booted off his national team during training camp! This has been a bad year for my under the radar pick Kabongo

No way he was staying in college anther year after what happened to him. It's pretty lucky for him he's getting these personal workouts from one of the best. I could see him going trying the D-League for a year and see where that takes him. Unless he wants to make some more ends he might go to China now.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Signing at Texas was his first mistake.....

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                    No way he was staying in college anther year after what happened to him. It's pretty lucky for him he's getting these personal workouts from one of the best. I could see him going trying the D-League for a year and see where that takes him. Unless he wants to make some more ends he might go to China now.
                    He rushed opting to be in the draft kids wanting to quickly make money rush things, I dont see how staying in College would have hurt him. The D-League I think is the best bet for him stay in the American media and first things first become a sponge under Steve Nash. However Being with Steve Nash could that be a ploy to bring him on as a Laker? they dont really have PGs...

If Nash takes you under his wing you cant be a scrub.

@Slaw is Texas really that bad?

Comment

Right now Texas is in a sorry state. Barnes might be on the way out.

source: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...greek-pro-team

Texas' leading returning scorer, Ioannis Papapetrou, has signed a lucrative deal to play overseas with Olympiacos BC.

Texas has confirmed Papapetrou's departure, which was reported earlier by Eurohoops.net.

Olympiacos also posted a story on its website that Papapetrou, a native of Athens, has inked a five-year deal. A source told ESPN.com the deal was worth approximately $2 million.

The 6-foot-8, 225-pound Papapetrou's departure is the latest hit for coach Rick Barnes and the Longhorns' program, which has lost Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph early to the NBA and also watched as Sheldon McClellan, Julien Lewis and Jaylen Bond all transferred out of the program following last season.

Texas finished 16-18 overall last season and seventh in the Big 12 with a 7-11 mark. It was the first time in Barnes' 15 seasons in Austin that the Longhorns failed to reach the NCAA tournament.

Comment

He rushed opting to be in the draft kids wanting to quickly make money rush things, I dont see how staying in College would have hurt him. The D-League I think is the best bet for him stay in the American media and first things first become a sponge under Steve Nash. However Being with Steve Nash could that be a ploy to bring him on as a Laker? they dont really have PGs...

If Nash takes you under his wing you cant be a scrub.

@Slaw is Texas really that bad?
                        No, it probably wouldn't have hurt him to stay another year, but he was SUPPOSED to get drafted this year. You never know what might happen in a year (injuries, deeper draft). Also, don't forget, if I was him I would be super pissed at the NCAA and want to get the hell outta there as soon as possible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--...001321491.html
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Canada loses the opener against Puerto Rico 71-78. Pretty fun game to watch and was really up and down. Nice game for Nicholson and Thompson. No one was stopping Barea.

http://www.fibaamericas.com/en/box.a...7&t=SBGREHEBIS

Canada Vs. Argentina tonight. Stream gods were good to me last night.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

If you have a link for the stream, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Article on the importance of the national team qualifying for the World Cup next year:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/28...for-the-future

this Friday in Caracas, Venezuela, the Canadian men’s basketball team — a team that could turn this country on its ear at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics — plays its first game at the FIBA Americas Championship and hardly anyone seems to be paying attention — even though the event has huge implications.

The bottom line is this: If Team Canada fails to finish in the top four in Caracas (and it’s no slam-dunk that they will, even with four NBA guys in the lineup), the program will suffer a significant set-back.
                              Winning is what it’s all about and if Canada fails to qualify for the 2014 World Cup, next summer becomes a black hole for the national team with nothing significant to play for. And if that happens, the next important tournament for the Nats won’t be until the Olympic qualifying tournament in the summer of 2015 — and there goes any momentum the national program might have built up this season.

As far as international basketball goes in Canada, when the national team is out of sight, it’s largely out of mind, and if Canada doesn’t make it to the 2014 World Cup, the team will be largely forgotten. And then who’s to say the young stars would be that keen to play at the 2015 Olympic qualifier?

Comment

Here's a stream for Canada vs. Jamaica, on right now, Canada up 32-21 in the 2nd Q.

http://norwaysport.co.uk/stream20.html

It's crazy that Heslip is one of the top players on this team. I don't think he'll make the NBA, but he's got a really solid style for the international game.

Comment

Working...
                                X