Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash, Wiggins and Canadian National Team

Just a short quote from a longer article on Nash's view of Howard:
    "...Nash is currently in Toronto fulfilling his duties as general manager of Canada Basketball’s senior men’s national team. He said that Canadian star-in-waiting Andrew Wiggins is around despite the fact that he will not be suiting up for his country this summer.

“He (Wiggins) came to our meeting (Thursday) night,” the Lakers point guard said. “He got a taste of the atmosphere and got to see who his future teammates will be.”

The Canadian GM said that while he was somewhat disappointed not to have Wiggins’ services, his reasons for not playing were understandable.

“On one hand you could say it would be fantastic for him to play for the national team,” Nash said. “But on the other hand, you could say, let’s go home and spend the last bit of time before my life goes crazy with my family, work at my game, try not to get hurt and go to Kansas healthy and clearheaded and have a fantastic one-year experience there before he becomes an NBA star.”

Nash knows that it will be impossible to be able to count on every one of Canada’s top players every summer but he believes this is not as big of an issue as it has been in the past.

“I really don’t know if we will ever get everybody,” he explained. “The great news is that we can put a great team out there even if we have 90, 95 per cent of the guys.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-houston-move/

As long as he's in for the 2016 Olympics, I'll be happy. A starting lineup of Cory Joseph, Wiggins, Bennet, Tristan Thompson, and Kelly Olynyk could be close to medal contention if some of those guys develop.

Comment

I saw our 2013 camp list and Thompson, Joseph and Anthony are our only NBA'ers. The only player I don't understand not being on the team this summer is Sacre.
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
        I saw our 2013 camp list and Thompson, Joseph and Anthony are our only NBA'ers. The only player I don't understand not being on the team this summer is Sacre.
        Wasn't he born in LA? now all of a sudden he thinks he's american i guess

Comment

There are two Josephs from the great white north that played in the NBA last season, Cory and Kris.

Comment

You forgot about Andrew Nicholson, one of the best young NBA players on team Canada. Also forgot Kris Joseph who played in the league last year.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              Wasn't he born in LA? now all of a sudden he thinks he's american i guess
              Robert Sacre was actually born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana ... he IS American. Also has Canadian Citizenship, having grown up in BC, and groomed with Canada Basketball, before going over to Gonzaga.
              Last edited by Joey; Sun Aug 4, 2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Robert Sacre was actually born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana ... he IS American. Also has Canadian Citizenship, having grown up in BC, and groomed with Canada Basketball, before going over to Gonzaga.
                I knew it was somewhere in america. I guess he doesn't want to play for team canada, i can't find any other reason.

Comment

You can't blame Wiggins at this point; he has his priorities straight and as such, we should respect his decision. He's preparing for the biggest basketball season of his life, distractions like the national team need to be in the back of his mind. Other than better competition, there is no advantage to him being on the team RIGHT NOW.

With that being said, there should be no reason for him not to compete once he reaches the NBA level.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    I knew it was somewhere in america. I guess he doesn't want to play for team canada, i can't find any other reason.
                    I don't get it either. This could really help his development, as he didn't do that great in Summer League. Besides, it's not like he's making the American team anytime soon...
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                      I don't get it either. This could really help his development, as he didn't do that great in Summer League. Besides, it's not like he's making the American team anytime soon...
                      Since he's represented Canada on the Junior level already, I don't think he's allowed to represent the US on any level.
                      Could be wrong though...

Comment

canada will have the 2nd best team after america in the future we have some solid young talent coming out . We need a young canadian on the raps too
                        ya dun noe

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Since he's represented Canada on the Junior level already, I don't think he's allowed to represent the US on any level.
                          Could be wrong though...
                          I think you have to represent at the senior level to have this be true. Sacre has played with the Senior team at the 2010 world championships in Turkey.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Canada's path to World Cup qualification will be made easier with a number of significant no shows among NBAers such as Al Horford (Dominican Republic), Greivis Vasquez (Venezuela), Ginobli, Delfino and Prigioni (Argentina), Tiago Splitter, Anderson Varejao and Nene may not play for Brazil in the FIBA Americas Championship 2013.
                            Last edited by stretch; Mon Aug 5, 2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              You forgot about Andrew Nicholson, one of the best young NBA players on team Canada. Also forgot Kris Joseph who played in the league last year.
                              I feel like an idiot for forgetting about Nicholson. But, Kris Joseph I think is out of the NBA for good, just like I don't think Kabongo will ever make it. My worry about this team is that it never has really overachieved, we can fall below the likes of Puerto Rico, DR and Venezuela again instead of competing with Brazil and Argentina where we belong. I hope this year is different, but I'm still skeptical.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                              X