Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN 5-on-5: Rudy Gay most Overrated Small Forward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN 5-on-5: Rudy Gay most Overrated Small Forward.

3. Who's the most overrated small forward in the NBA?

Cavan: Rudy Gay. Few players personify the stats-eye test divide better than the supremely talented -- and supremely flawed -- Raptors wing. Where proponents point to Gay's bucket-harvesting prowess and smooth flow, detractors, well, point to the numbers. The good news: after corrective surgery, Gay should actually be able to, like, see the basket. Which is important when you're shooting a basketball.

Haberstroh: I'll go with Rudy Gay, one of the last remaining idols of Points Per Game worshipers. Gay has all the tools to be an All-Star and he's paid like one -- did you know he'll make more than Durant this season? -- but his only above-average skill is shot-taking. Though he may be more overpaid than overrated, he's not the franchise player that many believe he is.

Poulard: Rudy Gay. He will make roughly $17.9 million in 2013-14 and yet does not possess a single elite skill. He can create good shots but one expects a better conversion rate from the Toronto Raptor. His salary technically puts him close to the same level as Carmelo Anthony. But his production? Not so much.

Wade: Rudy Gay. Critics spurned the Memphis Grizzlies for punting on the season last year when they traded away their ballyhooed wing in favor of fiscal prudence. Then the team advanced further than it ever had in franchise history. Despite getting swept by the Spurs, this is damning evidence that Gay was merely an ancillary ingredient in the team's success.

Young: Rudy Gay. In today's NBA, small forward has become a position of production, and not just in raw scoring stats, but efficient, well-rounded production. Gay can score, but it's in a volume manner. He's a good player, no doubt, but is there one thing he's really great at?

Source
    What do you guys think? Accurate? More unfair piling on Raptors?

Gay voted most overrated Small Forward in the NBA. Any surprise there?

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...small-forwards
    So any surprise here? Do you guys think his eye surgery will make a difference? will he try too hard to try and prove the critics wrong and hurt the team? I for one think that he is better than he has shown. Making more money than K. Durant though is something that needs to looked at. Maybe he will take a pay cut to ease the pressure of himself in the next couple years? I know, I'm just dreaming, but one can only dream right?

Comment

Wow a solid sweep.

Based on his play last year, it is accurate.

If he played as he did in past seasons then it would be a bit much.

It is on Gay to prove critics wrong.

Comment

5/5.....Ouch.

The money he gets paid obviously plays a huge factor and because of that off the top of my head the only 3 I could see competing against him as "Most Overrated" would be Granger.

Comment

Overrated wtf?

He's overpaid, that's for sure, but not overrated.

Comment

I don't know, I think he's been so loudly derided over the last year or two that nobody really rates him highly anyway. For him to be overrated, you'd need to find a significant number of fans who believe he's currently playing at an all-star level or living up to his current contract. I think even here in Toronto, where he's got a lot of fans, people see him as a massive upgrade over anyone we've had at SF in recent years, but not on that elite level.

I'd suggest that Carmelo is more overrated, based on the amount of undeserved hype he gets.

Comment

He is stuck in the the category pretty-good-just-not-that-great-yet, If overrated means over paid then hell yeah ... but I don't think I would call him necessarily overrated ...

Comment

lol, only other thing they unanimously agreed upon is that lebron james is the best.

i dunno, i also would be tempted to go with melo simply because he's so widely regarded as one of the league's best players but i think i could name 20 players i'd rather have as the centerpiece of a franchise.

but melo's so much better than rudy, so i guess it's a solid choice

Comment

I hope he see this. The more motivation.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Overrated or not, Gay is the best Raptor right now.

Comment

Pretty spot on. Usually I'd say "it's the Raptors, they don't know anything", but 5/5 is pretty compelling. Average defense, elite chucking ability on offense.

Seems like he's been working hard with his trainer this offseason. This should provide extra motivation.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I don't think there's any questioning Rudy's Talent level. I think everyone would agree that Rudy could be elite, at least in a Carmelo kind of way. Its just for whatever reason (bad eyes..?) he hasn't been able to quite get there. Here's hoping this is the year, I guess. It kinda needs to be...

Comment

basically he needs to do a lot more because he is getting paid elite money, what drives me nuts is why BC went after him, this was a total desperation move on his behalf. this is not a Masai player. I expect him to be next to leave. He is definitely not here for the long haul.

Comment

I feel like if he was still on Memphis, they wouldn't have ripped on him so hard

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                              Overrated or not, Gay is the best Raptor right now.
                              this is as depressing as it is true

Comment

Working...
                              X