Facilitating in a Lin/Asik trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facilitating in a Lin/Asik trade

I got inspiration for this trade from one of Matt's posts.
    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post228420

The idea is that Houston (even though they aren't admitting it) would most likely want to move both Asik and Lin.

How about a trade like this:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kyjvugj

Toronto: Lin, Motiejunas, Houston's 2016 pick.
    Boston: Lowry, Asik, Houston's 2014 pick.
    Houston: Rondo, Gray*

You could swap Gray for Novak but that deal would have to be done after Sept 10th.

Houston gets another all-star to help create a "big 3" with Howard and Harden and can get a backup center or a stretch 4. Boston continues the rebuild by getting an expiring contract in Lowry and a starting caliber center (which they don't have). They also get another 2014 draft pick. Toronto gets a prospect in Motejunas who should have some chemistry with Jonas plus Lin who is not as good as Lowry but gets to play with his best friend in Fields. They also get an additional pick as well from Houston.

Toronto probably doesn't change much in terms of the standings (although arguably Lin would create less wins than Lowry) but they get another prospect and a pick to add to their roster (both things that MU would love to have I would imagine).

wow... Rondo, Harden, Parsons, Dwight

That rivals the Heat
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Boston likely wins more games next year with this trade. They get stuck in mediocrity. No high pick, no star player on the roster, and not much flexibility either for several years.

Comment

I don't think the raptors are needed here.
        Rondo + Jeff Green (to play SF) for Asik + Lin + 2 first rounders Boston

Rondo/Harden/Green/Chanders/Howard

Comment

rap wrote: View Post

Poor Celtics.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            Boston likely wins more games next year with this trade. They get stuck in mediocrity. No high pick, no star player on the roster, and not much flexibility either for several years.
            My whole premise behind this trade was that Boston would need an upgrade at C. Yes they are rebuilding, but Asik is not old and is one of the best centers out there. I don't really think Asik would create that many more wins.. I would think losing Rondo and gaining Asik + Lowry would be a wash with respect to wins next season. Asik only has 2 years left on his contract.. Lowry is expiring. That looks flexible to me. Houston's pick could be lousy or they could be dysfunctional like LA was last year. Either way it's another pick that they can use to move up in the draft (if they package it with Brooklyn's).

Comment

rap wrote: View Post

Yeah that's possible.. although Lin+Asik would total $30M on the books next season for Boston. That's a pretty hefty price tag. And if Boston was giving up a SF they most likely would deal Wallace before Green.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                My whole premise behind this trade was that Boston would need an upgrade at C. Yes they are rebuilding, but Asik is not old and is one of the best centers out there. I don't really think Asik would create that many more wins.. I would think losing Rondo and gaining Asik + Lowry would be a wash with respect to wins next season. Asik only has 2 years left on his contract.. Lowry is expiring. That looks flexible to me. Houston's pick could be lousy or they could be dysfunctional like LA was last year. Either way it's another pick that they can use to move up in the draft (if they package it with Brooklyn's).
                But Rondo is one of the best point guards. Asik might be an above average starting center, but Rondo is an all star. He's the same age as Asik. He has two years left, too.

Rondo is coming off an injury, so if they want to win next year, ok, it makes some sense to get two less talented but healthy guys of the same age and fill the hole at center, but I don't think they want to win more games next year. The pick is ok, but it's going to be mid 20s.

So I just don't see a direction here.

I guess in the end, who knows. Nobody can say for sure.

Comment

Anyway, I think your trade idea is fair in terms of assets. Just need some different 3rd team (instead of Toronto) that would give the Celtics rebuilding blocks (picks, youngsters) instead of veterans.

Comment

i like Motiejunas. i think he's a legit edition but i think our front court is pretty packed. Lin? do we really want him? remember the hype when he was going to potentially sign with toronto? =\
                    Protocall
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/PTC204
                    http://www.ptc204.com

Uploaded a new track: Please like or comment on it if you dig it! Thanks
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAT4s_LO-rc

The best day of 2013 was the day I found out Andrea Bargnani got traded.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Yeah that's possible.. although Lin+Asik would total $30M on the books next season for Boston. That's a pretty hefty price tag. And if Boston was giving up a SF they most likely would deal Wallace before Green.
                      But only a $16.7M cap hit.

Helps them avoid luxury tax which any team that is not a contender is surely trying to avoid these days.... well, even some contenders too.

Comment

Protocall wrote: View Post
                        i like Motiejunas. i think he's a legit edition but i think our front court is pretty packed. Lin? do we really want him? remember the hype when he was going to potentially sign with toronto? =\
                        Lin gives you a guy who at the very least can start as you tank (because I assume any deal that sends Lowry out and Lin + pick/prospect in is a tanking move) and could provide insurance/cushion if a PG is drafted in 2014 (Smart, Micic, Harrison, Exum).

Comment

i could really get behind this trade
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

So we're trading Lowry for:

- Lin's contract
                            - A former late 1st round draft pick, who may or may not be a good player.
                            - And a future late 1st round pick

I'm not really sure what the point of this is on our end.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                              So we're trading Lowry for:

- Lin's contract
                              - A former late 1st round draft pick, who may or may not be a good player.
                              - And a future late 1st round pick

I'm not really sure what the point of this is on our end.
                              We're going from possibly nothing next summer to Lin's contract, and a PF who plays with Val on the Lithuanian team and who would be a great candidate for our future starting 4 to complement our all-star 5.

Amir - Monteijunas - Valancuinas would be a killer front line that can only grow together and get better with one another.

Also, picking up draft picks is mighty important.
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                              X