Jordan can still dunk. At 50. Unreal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Speaking of which. You guys are old and you've probably done quite a bit of training and shit throughout your life. What kind of methods/exercises do you guys recommend for increasing vertical jump? I can barely touch the freaking mesh!
    p.s I'm about 5'10" in shoes
    Have you ever heard about AIR ALERT training? I've done it, believe me, after fourth week your legs will start shaking up when climbing stairs. This is great program especially for young people. ( 16+ ).

If you're going to do this program, I'm warning you that this program isn't that easy as it looks like. After this program you'll see big increase in your vertical leap and after that you'll only need to do simple training regimes to maintain your vertical or even get better.

If you play basketball in school, you can use this program too, just speak with the coach at first .

EDIT: This program not only going to help your vertical leap, but it also strengthen your knees ankles and your overall physical strength. After this program my vertical leap increased by 6-7 inches ( others do better, they say. ) also my running speed was much better. You should also ask coach maybe he has this program on his hands, because I haven't paid for it, I got it from the coach.
    Last edited by rocwell; Mon Aug 12, 2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      Speaking of which. You guys are old and you've probably done quite a bit of training and shit throughout your life. What kind of methods/exercises do you guys recommend for increasing vertical jump? I can barely touch the freaking mesh!
      p.s I'm about 5'10" in shoes
      P90X will improve everything. The Plyometric session will help with jumping. It will kick your butt if you're doing it right.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        P90X will improve everything. The Plyometric session will help with jumping. It will kick your butt if you're doing it right.
        Have you done it all? I think it's too tough for the kid. I'm on recovery week right now, it's crazy!
        Last edited by rocwell; Mon Aug 12, 2013, 03:24 PM.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
          Have you done it all? I think it's too tough for the kid. I'm on recovery week right now, it's crazy!
          I did it and gave up after a couple of weeks... it was just way too intense... from what I recall, Apollo did it right after me, but stuck with it much longer than I did...

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
            I did it and gave up after a couple of weeks... it was just way too intense... from what I recall, Apollo did it right after me, but stuck with it much longer than I did...
            You should have done pre-p90x fitness test at first. It shows if you need to work more to be able to complete P90X program.

I'm kinda new in the gym stuff, started serious like year ago, and yes. This P90X is hell for me too.
            Last edited by rocwell; Mon Aug 12, 2013, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I did do it. Made it through. Then had a kid and my life got turned upside down. LOL

Planning on doing some new program. Maybe Insanity next but I'm probably going to do a little P90x again to get myself ready for Insanity.

In regards to doing it as a kid. I don't know. When I was in high school I played a lot of hockey. I only really trained in the off-season because I was playing 5-6 night/week in some capacity. In the off-season I jogged, inline skated, played pick-up hoops games, golf and baseball. I didn't lift much weight as kid. P90X has you lifting weights but it's your choice to do heavy lifts or not. If you want to add bulk go for the heavy weights but before you do anything ask somebody you trust who knows about training. Maybe a coach, gym teacher, friend, etc.

Plyo doesn't really involve weights. It's just a lot of jumping essentially. If I remember correctly their are some instances when you can hold weights as you're doing some of the moves though. Plyometric training is old school, been around a long, long time and from what I learned you just need to be careful with the jumps. If you're playing hoops who should already know how to land properly to save your knees. You probably have really good shoes too so you should be set. Just talk to somebody first.

Comment

I did do it. Made it through. Then had a kid and my life got turned upside down. LOL

Planning on doing some new program. Maybe Insanity next but I'm probably going to do a little P90x again to get myself ready for Insanity.
                I did Insanity as well.... also gave up... found it more intense, but actually more enjoyable... p90x was like torture... other than the yoga portions, I found no enjoyment in it at all

Comment

I did Insanity as well.... also gave up... found it more intense, but actually more enjoyable... p90x was like torture... other than the yoga portions, I found no enjoyment in it at all
                  Do this fit test before you do any other extreme program like p90x - http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/...2-3dcf82a31d23

I've done this, P90X is still hell, but I hope I'll finish it.

Comment

I'm spot on 6 feet and can dunk. I haven't done any of these exercises though. I just go on a lot of runs and do dumbbell/barbell squats for lower body training.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I finished P90X but I skipped Yoga X after the first month and did cario instead. I hated it and it was like an hour and a half long. I got great results without it.

Do this fit test before you do any other extreme program like p90x - http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/...2-3dcf82a31d23

I've done this, P90X is still hell, but I hope I'll finish it.
                      I did not do the fit test. I jumped in, it was brutal the first week but it worked in the end. I don't suggest anyone follow me but that's how it went with me... P90X is hardcore but they suggest you modify if you're not ready for something.

Along the three months. I had to end three or four workouts early because I tweaked my hammy or my back got a little sore, etc. By the third month I had none of that working against me. It was smooth. I think it's very important that you don't work through when your body says "shut it down".

Comment

I finished P90X but I skipped Yoga X after the first month and did cario instead. I hated it and it was like an hour and a half long. I got great results without it.

I did not do the fit test. I jumped in, it was brutal the first week but it worked in the end. I don't suggest anyone follow me but that's how it went with me... P90X is hardcore but they suggest you modify if you're not ready for something.

Along the three months. I had to end three or four workouts early because I tweaked my hammy or my back got a little sore, etc. By the third month I had none of that working against me. It was smooth. I think it's very important that you don't work through when your body says "shut it down".
                        I was really scared I'll get some kind of injury during this program, 5 weeks to go, hope to finish well. Thank god there is recovery week. Have you incorporated any cutting methods to P90X workout? Coz I really missing it here!

My friend finished P90X like a year ago but wasn't satisfied with results so he mixed up and he's doing now some other program + Insanity.
                        Last edited by rocwell; Mon Aug 12, 2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

What's so impressive about this again? it's not like he's dunking it with authority like he used to in the 80's and 90's. He's basically putting it in the hoop.

Jordan is 6'6 and is still in great shape. When you're that tall, you don't really need to jump that much to touch the rim.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

well to get back on topic...I'm impressed because I know what its like to play sports till a later age. I was done playing t 26, the war and tear of the ports I played, basketball being one, was intense. Jordan did it way longer and is 10 years older. Your body breaks down, it stiffens and it sucks. You young guys can't even fathom that thought yet, and don't waste time trying, trust, it will come soon enough. When I was 23 and throwing down dunks I thought I'd live forever...now, three major hip surgeries have returned my ego to where it belongs.

Fear the reaper boys, he comes....oh yes, even for the best of us...he comes..... and he aint nice hahahahaha

Comment

Have you ever heard about AIR ALERT training? I've done it, believe me, after fourth week your legs will start shaking up when climbing stairs. This is great program especially for young people. ( 16+ ).

If you're going to do this program, I'm warning you that this program isn't that easy as it looks like. After this program you'll see big increase in your vertical leap and after that you'll only need to do simple training regimes to maintain your vertical or even get better.

If you play basketball in school, you can use this program too, just speak with the coach at first .

EDIT: This program not only going to help your vertical leap, but it also strengthen your knees ankles and your overall physical strength. After this program my vertical leap increased by 6-7 inches ( others do better, they say. ) also my running speed was much better. You should also ask coach maybe he has this program on his hands, because I haven't paid for it, I got it from the coach.
                              Honestly Our coach is our freaking gym teacher and he's not the wisest guy to ask for this kind of stuff. I'd much rather just figure it all out myself, i usually don't take help from anyone for things like this. But i'll try this Air Alert thingy, i barely work out so it'll probably be killer for me lol

Comment

I'm pretty skinny, like almost KD Skinny. But i'd say i'm pretty quick with the ball, just can't get high off the ground to finish over taller guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X