ESPN 2013-14 East Standings [update: Post #86]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Numbers show that when they had a full roster last year, they played really, really well.
    Didn't they play well roughly around when the Raptors were playing well? As in, when the playoffs were set and nothing mattered anymore

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
      I still think the Raptors have a better roster than washington. so I guess all these 'experts' think washington will be better based on John Wall becoming a perennial super-star
      isaacthompson wrote: View Post
      I don't get all the Wizards hype. Apparently John Wall, a second-year Bradley Beal and a 30-year-old Nene will carry this team to a playoff spot.
      Numbers show that when they had a full roster last year, they played really, really well.
      That said, the hype is a little hard to understand. But it could just be that Wall is that good.
      Didn't they play well roughly around when the Raptors were playing well? As in, when the playoffs were set and nothing mattered anymore
      It might have something to do with the fact they started the year 4-28 (all games without Wall) and finished the year 25-25.... of course that was before a 2-7 #ThisIsHowYouGetBallsApril.

Toronto started the year 4-21 and finished 30-28.... of course that was before a 7-2 #AprilFoolsGoldRun.

So remove each teams final 9 games after a dreadful 32 and 25 game start and Washington is 23-18 while Toronto is 23-26.

I think Washington is a lock assuming health and Webster didn't pull a classic contract year heist.

**As always one can't look at this in a vacuum. Certainly strength of schedule plays in to things but I think 41 and 49 games gives you a pretty good indication of what you're working with**

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        It might have something to do with the fact they started the year 4-28 (all games without Wall) and finished the year 25-25.... of course that was before a 2-7 #ThisIsHowYouGetBallsApril.

Toronto started the year 4-21 and finished 30-28.... of course that was before a 7-2 #AprilFoolsGoldRun.

So remove each teams final 9 games after a dreadful 32 and 25 game start and Washington is 23-18 while Toronto is 23-26.

I think Washington is a lock assuming health and Webster didn't pull a classic contract year heist.

**As always one can't look at this in a vacuum. Certainly strength of schedule plays in to things but I think 41 and 49 games gives you a pretty good indication of what you're working with**
        I think these numbers are a little too selective to decide whether a team is "a lock"

Neither of these teams were healthy last year, and they both had extreme ups and downs (mainly downs). I feel looking at the strength of the rosters (for the bubble teams in the east) will be more decisive for this seasons playoff race.

Mainly arguing this because I can't see John Wall carry this team into the playoffs since they were absolutely horrible without him. And I'm not saying the Raptors are better off, just that they should be in the same boat. I'd actually love to see John Wall tear shit up in the playoffs next year against the Heat

Comment

And 17-7 when they had Wall, Beal and Nene playing together. Again, small sample size, but worth noting.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I think these numbers are a little too selective to decide whether a team is "a lock"

Neither of these teams were healthy last year, and they both had extreme ups and downs (mainly downs). I feel looking at the strength of the rosters (for the bubble teams in the east) will be more decisive for this seasons playoff race.

Mainly arguing this because I can't see John Wall carry this team into the playoffs since they were absolutely horrible without him. And I'm not saying the Raptors are better off, just that they should be in the same boat. I'd actually love to see John Wall tear shit up in the playoffs next year against the Heat
            What is selective? It doesn't paint Toronto in a favourable light?

Half the season for Washington and over half the season is included for Toronto.

The first 25 and 32 games were thrown out due to injuries for both teams.

The last 9 games were thrown out when teams are either resting for playoffs or tanking for balls. Washington did what Toronto should have done in the 2011-12 season: took April off to increase odds of getting a top 3 pick.
            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Aug 12, 2013, 07:52 PM.

Comment

What is selective? It doesn't paint Toronto in a favourable light?

Half the season for Washington and over half the season is included for Toronto.

The first 25 and 32 games were thrown out due to injuries for both teams.

The last 9 games were thrown out when teams are either resting for playoffs or tanking for balls.

I guess what I should have asked is if the 23-18 stretch is what has you and others sold on the wizards. In the end, it's still a small, selected sample size

Comment

I guess what I should have asked is if the 23-18 stretch is what has you and others sold on the wizards. In the end, it's still a small, selected sample size
                It's not quite that small: I mean, it IS half a season (41 games). If we're going to make predictions that Toronto is a .500 team based on fewer games, and many have, then it's more reasonable to suggest that Washington is too.

Comment

It's going to be an interesting playoff battle race.

Comment

If John Wall has such a great opportunity to blow everything up, I think the same should be given to Rudy Gay.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                      If John Wall has such a great opportunity to blow everything up, I think the same should be given to Rudy Gay.
                      Really?

Gay has been in the league for 7 years and is 27 at start of season.

Wall has been in the league for 3 years and is 23 at start of season.

I don't think Wall is a superstar in the making nor do I think he is worth a max extension, however, if we are playing the potential card, I'm rolling with Wall.

Comment

• Okafor is not nearly what he once was but he was still a contributor. Looks like he has becoming an expiring contract with little to no value.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/okafor-out...herniated-disk

Should also help Toronto keep ahead of Washington. Given full health I would give the nod to Washington but if they start dropping bodies - and one big one is gone - I give edge to Toronto.

Comment

• dont understand why people still rank atlanta so high

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                            dont understand why people still rank atlanta so high
                            My opinion is because they essentially swapped Smith and Zaza for Millsap and Brand.

Personally I think Smith is more 'exciting' but Millsap is a better player. For the stat geeks among us:
                            http://www.thenbageek.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids[]=6&player_ids[]=334

Comment

• Atlanta has been consistently making the playoffs, so barring any freak injuries, they should be one of the teams making it. Millsap and Horford will be one tough front line

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                                dont understand why people still rank atlanta so high
                                Horford is also extremely underrated. Best center in the league under Dwight IMO.
                                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                                X