Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Matt Bonner return to the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Matt Bonner return to the Raptors?

Interesting post on Pounding The Rock about Matt Bonner. http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/...-and-thats-sad

Of particular interest:
    I'm sure Bonner wouldn't choose to go out like that, but I think he will be fine with it. The man knows who he is. He will continue to work hard and be generally likable, fulfill his contract obligation and if it comes to it, exit San Antonio quietly. I know I'm probably in the minority but against all logic and reason I'd be okay if the Spurs re-sign him. Unfortunately I just don't see it happening considering his age and the Spurs' cap situation. Maybe he goes back to Toronto, where both he and his family feel at home. Maybe a contender adds him or he gets a nice contract from a middling team.

Matt's a fan favourite still in Toronto - might be a fun idea as an end-of-bench guy.

Bonner would actually be a really good fit for the Raptors right now given that he's a decent bench-level stretch four. I can see them making a place for him as their fourth big.

Comment

Agreed. It would have to be only on a favourable contract... but conceivably a good fit.

Comment

same here. i think he just needs to stop forcing threes. i saw a couple of the SA playoff games and always seems to camp out on the three point line and is always waiting for passes where he can shoot the three. i think if he can shoot the three he should have a decent jumper so why not expand on that.

but i wont mind signing him and the raptors probably wouldnt either, considering his abilities and well, he is canadian and a former raptor.

Comment

I love that Matt wants to be a Canadian citizen but that's not a good reason to make him a Raptor. He's got a decent salary but he's the prototypical role player. Will grab rebounds and shoot 3's.. but that's all. Since we already have Novak tied up for 3 years, and he's arguably better at his role than Matt is, I don't see the point.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
            same here. i think he just needs to stop forcing threes. i saw a couple of the SA playoff games and always seems to camp out on the three point line and is always waiting for passes where he can shoot the three. i think if he can shoot the three he should have a decent jumper so why not expand on that.

but i wont mind signing him and the raptors probably wouldnt either, considering his abilities and well, he is canadian and a former raptor.
            I'm sure Pop put him out there deliberately to space the floor for Parker/Manu to drive, and for Duncan to go to work. With the Spurs offence so well scripted I highly doubt that a player like Bonner is free to make his own decisions on where he wants to be on the court.
            Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Don't think there's much need for Bonner here at the moment, with Novak already here.

EDIT: Just saw planetmars' post saying the same thing.
              Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Aug 15, 2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                I love that Matt wants to be a Canadian citizen but that's not a good reason to make him a Raptor. He's got a decent salary but he's the prototypical role player. Will grab rebounds and shoot 3's.. but that's all. Since we already have Novak tied up for 3 years, and he's arguably better at his role than Matt is, I don't see the point.
                Bonner is definitely better than Novak. Arguably equal as a floor spacer, but he's a much better rebounder and a better defender, at least in the post. I don't know how much of this is their respective systems, but even when teams try to iso against Bonner in the post, he does okay on tape and by the numbers, if I recall correctly (anyone with access to synergy want to double check that for me?). Novak seems to be the hotter name though so if Bonner could be signed and Novak re-shipped, that'd be a win for the Raptors, I think.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Agreed.

Comment

I'd love to see Bonner come back here. He's one of my favorite former Raptors. The guy brings full effort every game.

He may not give you anything extraordinary but you know exactly what you're getting.

Comment

The red mamba!

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                        I'm sure Pop put him out there deliberately to space the floor for Parker/Manu to drive, and for Duncan to go to work. With the Spurs offence so well scripted I highly doubt that a player like Bonner is free to make his own decisions on where he wants to be on the court.
                        i agree. maybe just those times that i saw him he was forcing shots up.

Comment

I don't see how Novak and Bonner are similar. Being white and having a 3pt shot does not make them "the same". Matt's a much better defender....almost just because of his effort/energy level. He's a better rebounder. He's stronger physically. And he's not worse enough as a shooter to say that it gives Novak an advantage.

I love Matt Bonner. He's a stretch 4 and a hustle big. Basically he's what Quincy Acy needs to become to have a long prosperous career.

Comment

Bonner is 34 next year.

The only way I hope he comes back to Toronto is to fill the vacant position JYD left when he went to coach HS ball.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Bonner is 34 next year.

The only way I hope he comes back to Toronto is to fill the vacant position JYD left when he went to coach HS ball.
                              It's not like there was significant slippage in his play or physical ability. I mean, I don't think anyone expects he'd be more than a 3rd stringer, but I'd take him in that role over Novak, who can't defend, can't rebound, is paper thin, actually shot a worse 3% than Bonner last year, and is 31 years old. Bonner has been a reliable role player his whole career. Novak just got popular in the NY spotlight despite the fact that he's one of the most limited players in the league, which is why he never sticks anywhere. Also at this stage, Bonner would probably be cheaper, because Novak's contract is pretty bad, and only looks good to Toronto fans because we got him for Bargs.

Comment

Working...
                              X