No announcement yet.

[Hoopsworld] Gay, Lowry contract years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gay has made his big bucks contract though, so as long as his next contract is fair I don't think money will be as much of a factor as happiness and being on a competitive team, imo. It's his team for now and he's got his good buddies around him so that takes care of the happiness. Now it's time for Ujiri to put a better supporting cast around him.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Gay has made his big bucks contract though, so as long as his next contract is fair I don't think money will be as much of a factor as happiness and being on a competitive team, imo. It's his team for now and he's got his good buddies around him so that takes care of the happiness. Now it's time for Ujiri to put a better supporting cast around him.
      Or make some adjustments if it's not working.

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
        Lowry has been training relentlessly this summer

This is the only part of the article that I really cared about
        Every year we get media pumping up a player or coach or new system with great promise for the upcoming season. In fact I suggest the frequency of these types of articles will increase in frequency as we get into October. I am not buying it. I remember a 6-1 preseason followed by a 4-19 run. Don't get sucked in......until we actually win some regular season games with some consistency it is meaningless. Remember the media's job is to see papers or subscriptions to their web site by drumming up interest.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
          Every year we get media pumping up a player or coach or new system with great promise for the upcoming season. In fact I suggest the frequency of these types of articles will increase in frequency as we get into October. I am not buying it. I remember a 6-1 preseason followed by a 4-19 run. Don't get sucked in......until we actually win some regular season games with some consistency it is meaningless. Remember the media's job is to see papers or subscriptions to their web site by drumming up interest.
          Saying he's been training relentlessly isn't media pumping a player, training relentlessly is a fact. He's lost a significant amount of weight as well.

I dunno. I'm certainly not expecting huge improvements either, but a little positivity every now and then doesn't hurt.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
            Saying he's been training relentlessly isn't media pumping a player, training relentlessly is a fact. He's lost a significant amount of weight as well.

I dunno. I'm certainly not expecting huge improvements either, but a little positivity every now and then doesn't hurt.
            How is someone saying he trains relentlessly a fact? Not saying he doesn't because I don't know, but that's my point, how do we know its a fact?
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
              How is someone saying he trains relentlessly a fact? Not saying he doesn't because I don't know, but that's my point, how do we know its a fact?
              Confused about this also. "Training relentlessly" is kind of arbitrary, so it's pretty difficult to refer to something like that as a fact, because nobody really knows what relentless training is, or has been for Lowry in the past.

Comment

Alright, maybe not a fact per say, but it's a pretty damn good assumption, and not just because some random guy said it either.

I think it goes without saying that all NBA players have to work hard in order to keep their level of play up, keep their role on a team secure, or even just to keep a spot on a roster. There's obviously some exceptions (Lamar Odom, etc.) but that's generally the status quo.

You also have to remember that Kyle is going into a contract year so if he has his head straight, he's probably doing everything in his power to get in shape.

My original point was that the media may be right when they say he's been training relentlessly, but assuming the work he puts in will automatically translate into game situations? That's kind of silly.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

When a media outlet states that someone has been "training relentlessly" you are going on the premise that the writer is not just making stuff up. You assume they have talked to the person they are speaking about, or to people associated with that person who have eyewitness accounts speaking to that fact. You don't ever ask to see a training schedule published that has little check marks beside each day when training occurred and a notation with how many hours and an indicator of intensity.

Definition of relentless:
                  1. Unyielding in severity or strictness; unrelenting: relentless persecution.
                  2. Steady and persistent; unremitting:

Words have meaning. When someone writes "training relentlessly" about an athlete who has been mailing it in, that writer loses all credibility. So you assume that the writer (whose only ticket to write is their credibility) will have done the checking and established the factual truth.

Not trying to be a dick about this but I don't see anything strange about assuming the truth of a statement like "training relentlessly" coming from a media outlet.

Now when weasel words like "word around the league says" or "reports have been coming in about" then you acknowledge that the write has no personal knowledge or reliable second hand knowledge of an issue. Those statement prefaces are an admittance that whatever follows is not "a fact" but only a "strong possibility."

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                    Confused about this also. "Training relentlessly" is kind of arbitrary, so it's pretty difficult to refer to something like that as a fact, because nobody really knows what relentless training is, or has been for Lowry in the past.
                    I agree. And while I am not doubting Lowry is working hard, because really how can I know, I clearly remember hearing a ton of stories about Nazem KAdri last year for the lEafs, about how hard he was busting ass, he even said it in a few interviews...only to find out it was a lie, he skipped out on his training with Gary Roberts, and came in to camp fat. So For me, I have heard it all before.

That said, I actually feel positive in Kyles case, I think he is a tough kid, and I think he feels challenged. I expect he will be every bit as fit as speculated. He's a warrior...now only if they can teach him to pass.

Comment

craig wrote: View Post
                      ...he's a warrior...now only if they can teach him to pass.
                      :d:d:d

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        When a media outlet states that someone has been "training relentlessly" you are going on the premise that the writer is not just making stuff up. You assume they have talked to the person they are speaking about, or to people associated with that person who have eyewitness accounts speaking to that fact. You don't ever ask to see a training schedule published that has little check marks beside each day when training occurred and a notation with how many hours and an indicator of intensity.

Definition of relentless:
                        1. Unyielding in severity or strictness; unrelenting: relentless persecution.
                        2. Steady and persistent; unremitting:

Words have meaning. When someone writes "training relentlessly" about an athlete who has been mailing it in, that writer loses all credibility. So you assume that the writer (whose only ticket to write is their credibility) will have done the checking and established the factual truth.

Not trying to be a dick about this but I don't see anything strange about assuming the truth of a statement like "training relentlessly" coming from a media outlet.

Now when weasel words like "word around the league says" or "reports have been coming in about" then you acknowledge that the write has no personal knowledge or reliable second hand knowledge of an issue. Those statement prefaces are an admittance that whatever follows is not "a fact" but only a "strong possibility."
                        I try my best not to assume things.
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Are you guys seriously analyzing and breaking down the word "relentlessly"? Wow...hurry up October!
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Are you guys seriously analyzing and breaking down the word "relentlessly"? Wow...hurry up October!
                            its better than the time people were trying to argue the definition of 'legacy'

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              To be honest I'm all about buying in. I don't get my hopes up high enough that it would truly effect my psyche if I'm disappointed once again. I harbour no crazy illusions about the ceiling of our roster but that doesn't mean I want them to come in out of shape. Somebody mis-reporting exactly how hard Kyle Lowry is working? I'll take that at face value just because I don't care THAT much, and don't really see what kind of agenda the writer would have by lying.
                              Last edited by Mundy; Tue Aug 27, 2013, 02:57 PM.
                              "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Look, I'm sure Lowry is training very hard. Honestly, there's never really been a concern about Kyle Lowry's work ethic, has there? It's always been very clear he's willing to bust ass.

The problem with Kyle Lowry throughout his career is not one of work ethic: it's the fact that he's been a troublesome presence in many a locker room (he was even getting called out for it last year in Toronto!), and no amount of redefining the word "relentlessly" is going to change that.

Comment

Working...
                                X