Thread: The Laptop Thread: Give me your opinion on this...

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Laptop Thread: Give me your opinion on this...

So here's the deal, I have a gaming desktop rig but I need a cheapish laptop for work and gaming(not cutting edge) away from home. I'm budgeting $700 for this and here are the two I'm looking at:

#1: HP Pavilion 15-AU123CA ($720 on sale @ Costco)
    • 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7200U
    • 12 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    • 1 TB 5400 RPM
    • 15.6-in. diagonal HD, backlit touchscreen (1366 x 768)
    • Intel HD graphics 620

#2: Acer Aspire V3-575G-795 ($699 on sale @ Costco)
    • Intel Core i7-6500U
    • 8 GB DDR3L
    • 500 GB 5400 RPM
    • 15.6 in. HD (1366 x 768)
    • 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce 940M

They all come with Windows 10. Which one would you choose and why?

I'm leaning towards #2 right now.
    Last edited by Apollo; Fri Apr 7th, 2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: .

Post Thanks / Like

#2 and #3 both look fine for gaming. I'd buy Acer. Screen sucks, but still a great laptop for average gamer/user
    Last edited by rocwell; Fri Apr 7th, 2017 at 06:30 PM.

3. Like Apollo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apollo, both of these companies are known to make laptops that can be finicky for how long they last. If you want to go with a budget machine, take a look at ASUS's products. I got a 2-in-1 for around 400 last year & I love the thing. The one thing that this thing doesn't have is memory.
    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.

5. Like Apollo liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hesitate to give a firm opinion not having actually used them specifically....especially to check/feel the build & keyboard.

#3 stands out however. My current ASUS has provided good service for about 6 years now and has the NVIDIA GeForce which can be kicked in when needed. Am still using Win7 on it though. The 12 Gb memory is a plus as well as the 1 TB drive. Is there a SSD on it? That's always a nice to have. There is also USB 3.0 now...check on that.

I would suggest going to amazon.ca and checking the reviews there on these units.

Good Luck.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

7. Like Apollo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I pulled #3 from the post. It sold. You snooze, you lose I guess...

Thanks for the advice guys. Laptops are far more difficult a purchase than desktops in my opinion.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I pulled #3 from the post. It sold. You snooze, you lose I guess...

Thanks for the advice guys. Laptops are far more difficult a purchase than desktops in my opinion.
    Suggestion...check Kijiji locally....you might find a good deal.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

10. Like Apollo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm rocking a Dell M6800, which is actually my work computer from several years ago when I was doing 3D Rendering. Don't do rendering anymore, but still bust out the monsterous mobile desktop at all management meetings and people all make fun of me for how big it is ... Little do they know, it can play GTA Online (or anythign else really) at a smooth 45-60 fps on High graphics, and has a 17" HD display, and battery life for a good 6-7 hours doing regular work.
    Never had a single issue with it either. I love it. Lol

But for the options you've listed, definitely the Acer. F*ck HP. They're crap in my opinion, and the customer service is even worse from what I've heard. Lol
    No real point in having the 12GB of RAM if you've got an i5 as the CPU, and the Intel Graphics are crap as well. You're paying less for better overall processing and better graphics processing with the Acer.
    Last edited by Joey; Sat Apr 8th, 2017 at 11:19 AM.

12. Like Apollo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. What do you think about this one:

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 AMD Touch ($699 on sale @ Dell.ca)
    • 7th Generation AMD A12-9700P Quad-Core Processor
    • 12GB DDR4
    • 1 TB 5400 RPM
    • 15.6 inch LED Backlit On-cell Touch Display with Truelife and FHD resolution (1920 x 1080)
    • Radeon R7 Graphics

Apparently this one is capable of handling many 2016 titles. Not the main purpose for what I'll buy but a nice to have.

14. Like Joey, rocwell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

• 12GB DDR4
    • 1 TB 5400 RPM
    • 15.6 inch LED Backlit On-cell Touch Display with Truelife and FHD resolution (1920 x 1080)
    • Radeon R7 Graphics

Apparently this one is capable of handling many 2016 titles. Not the main purpose for what I'll buy but a nice to have.
    This one is money!

16. Like Apollo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

• 12GB DDR4
    • 1 TB 5400 RPM
    • Radeon R7 Graphics

This one wins, cuz you get a bit of "best of both worlds" from the other two.
    Last edited by Joey; Sat Apr 8th, 2017 at 05:17 PM.

18. Like Apollo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sale is on until Monday morning. I'll pick around a little more but I'm fairly sure this is the one. The last really good laptop I owned was a Dell, mind you it was a lot more expensive than $700.

I checked out the refurbished and used market offered from the major vendors. It was disappointing. You don't get much savings for the added risks that come with going that route and so I ruled that way out.

20. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sale is on until Monday morning. I'll pick around a little more but I'm fairly sure this is the one. The last really good laptop I owned was a Dell, mind you it was a lot more expensive than $700.

I checked out the refurbished and used market offered from the major vendors. It was disappointing. You don't get much savings for the added risks that come with going that route and so I ruled that way out.
    Nice work.

I think you found the machine you were looking for.

But this list might be helpful: http://www.sysprobs.com/top-10-best-...aming-business
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.

22. Like Apollo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I said fuck it and just ordered the thing. I quickly found a coupon online and bumped the price down to $675. That's a pretty damn good price for a brand new Dell laptop with those specs.

24. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I said fuck it and just ordered the thing. I quickly found a coupon online and bumped the price down to $675. That's a pretty damn good price for a brand new Dell laptop with those specs.
    Now that's a pretty nice steal on your end. Hope it arrives shortly & you get a good use out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

So after a little more digging I found that the laptop I ordered was going to be less than expected on the games front. I like Morrowind and all but I wanted to be playing something a little more recent.

I cancelled my order with Dell and bought this from Bestbuy:

Acer Aspire E E5-575G-55NW (@$750)
    Intel i5-7200U
    256 SSD
    8GB RAM
    15.6-inch display with 1920 x 1080 resolution
    NVIDIA 940MX

It has a tiny HD but this is a mobile device and I plan to use the cloud a lot. Windows 10 + my rule of thumb to always give a hard drive 10% free capacity leaves me with 190GB to work with. Not a lot but it keeps the price down, gives me a large performance spike and so I can live with only having AAA game or two on there at maximum at any particular time.

Besides, this thing won't be playing top tier brand new games anyway. I figure if I'm lucky I can get GTA5 rolling smoothly at 1080p but more than likely 1600x900 or 720p.

Post Thanks / Like

720p is more than fine for most games anyways. Then again, I'm not a graphics nerd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Cody73 wrote: View Post
    720p is more than fine for most games anyways. Then again, I'm not a graphics nerd.
    I'm not either but integrated graphics weren't going to cut it after I learned about the still present limitations.

Thread Information