X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA Americas Tournament

Ummm...
    NBA.com wrote:
    Four NBA players lead a roster of Americans heading to FIBA Americas Championship

TORONTO (AP) -- Cleveland Cavaliers power forward Tristan Thompson will lead Canada's men's basketball team at the upcoming FIBA Americas Championship as one of four NBA players on the team. The squad also includes Miami center Joel Anthony, San Antonio point guard Cory Joseph and Orlando forward Andrew Nicholson. It's the first time Canada has had four NBA regulars on its team in a FIBA competition.

A total of seven players return from the 2011 team, which was knocked out of the second round of the Americas qualifying tournament for the 2012 London Olympics. Forwards Anthony Bennett, the first overall pick in the 2013 draft, and Kelly Olynyk will not be available due to injury.

The FIBA Americas Championship is a qualifying tournament for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain. Canada's first game is Friday against Jamaica in Caracas, Venezuela.
    Source
    Now I don't usually get all up-in-arms over these 'slights' by the American Media... but this is just ridiculous. Lol

Technically Canadians are Americans....

Comment

NBA.com calls Canadian National team "Americans" .. honest mistake.

Where does it say America's team?
      EDIT: scratch that I see what you meant now.

Comment

NBA doesn't have proof-readers when it comes to Canada.

Comment

Wonder if it was one of those situations where you're thinking of a word ahead, and end up tying it inadvertently. Like the author was thinking of "Americas" referring to the tournament, and type Americans by accident.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
            Technically Canadians are Americans....
            That's news to me.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              That's news to me.
              Canada is part of North America...

Comment

Yes it is, but Canada is huge country and every human being who born in Canada not only deserves to be called Canadian but they are Canadians!

Comment

Is it off topic to talk about that teams performance at the Tuto Marchand Cup in Puerto Rico on the weekend? It's a warm up for Friday's FIBA Americas tournament that starts on Friday. The SNT has lost all three games so far. The effort is there but the outcomes are giving me a scare.

There are lots of pluses, notably Tristan Thompson's offensive rebounding but the offense is predictable and has no flow and the defense is having difficulty with perimeter coverage. Argentina and the Dominican were getting many wide open looks from 3 point territory. Canada lost by 6 to the DR which is without Al Horford and they were sitting out two of their best roster players in Francisco Garcia and Jack Michael Martinez.

Comment

Right. Boliva and Peru are also part of "the Americas" in that sense.

But when people see/hear "America", I assume most associate it with the United States of America

EDIT: I'm fairly certain no Brazilian has even been referred to as American

Comment

This is clearly just incompetence. The only question it makes me ask is "can I have this idiot's job? or his editor's?". Seriously, just sad that this got published without noticing such a pathetic mistake.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        Is it off topic to talk about that teams performance at the Tuto Marchand Cup in Puerto Rico on the weekend? It's a warm up for Friday's FIBA Americas tournament that starts on Friday. The SNT has lost all three games so far. The effort is there but the outcomes are giving me a scare.

There are lots of pluses, notably Tristan Thompson's offensive rebounding but the offense is predictable and has no flow and the defense is having difficulty with perimeter coverage. Argentina and the Dominican were getting many wide open looks from 3 point territory. Canada lost by 6 to the DR which is without Al Horford and they were sitting out two of their best roster players in Francisco Garcia and Jack Michael Martinez.
                        I'll bite since I haven't seen any threads on the SNT and it's the only relevant basketball going on right now. I'm actually more optimistic than worried. We haven't won any of those games but we've been close in all of them. This tournament is all about tweaking the roster and seeing who fits and who doesn't so a lot of the lineups and minutes will not be the same once we get to FIBA. The clear weakness of the team is wing/guard play. The 1, 2, and 3 are being manned by guys who aren't quite as good as their international counterparts. Once we get Wiggins, Bennett, and Olynyk to join the team we'll have a lot more scoring options which is what is missing right now. Tristan is great but you can't count on him for more than 12-15 points a night. Nicholson is great but needs to not be the #1 offensive option (which he apparently is right now) to be efficient. Cory Joseph has been pretty disappointing. Hopefully we have some young Canadian PG's in the pipeline (Kevin Pangos perhaps?) who could take the pressure off him and let him settle into his more natural backup PG role. Overall I am more pumped for Canada Mens Basketball than I have been in my entire life. I got excited for Dalembert joining the team so I'm over the moon with all of the truly talented youngsters signing up to play for Canada.

Comment

meh, either honest incompetence or NBA.com people have known for a long time that something controversial written about Raptors or Canada will create traffic/activity/attention by the boatload.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post

The roster is pretty disappointing. No English, Kris Joseph, Olynyk, Bennett..... Not the team anyone thought they would have. Still, better than most Canadian teams in recent memory. They are actually okay up front but the perimeter doesn't look great.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Right. Boliva and Peru are also part of "the Americas" in that sense.

But when people see/hear "America", I assume most associate it with the United States of America

EDIT: I'm fairly certain no Brazilian has even been referred to as American
                              My Brazilian wife would very strongly disagree with you. She hates it when people use "American" or "America" to refer to only the USA.

(incidentally: in Brazilian schools, North and South America aren't different continents; there's just the one continent called "America".)

Comment

Working...
                              X