Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig wrote: View Post
    Canada's last 3 mins, very triano-esque
    I felt like I was in 1998 again, as I was forced to watch the Play-by-Play on the Fiba website ...

But ya, it felt like I'd read "Missed 3 - Offensive Rebound - Missed 3" WAY too often.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
      Yes. And point differential breaks ties. (Canada's currently +53, PR is +60, so unless both games were extremely close, Canada would be in first.)
      I don't think that's true. The tournament website says that FIBA rules for tiebreakers will be used, and here's the rules from the FIBA rulebook.
      (page 68 here: http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Rules/...lRules2012.pdf)
      D.1 Procedure
      Teams shall be classified according to their win-loss records, namely two (2) points
      for each game won, one (1) point for each game lost (including lost by default) and
      zero (0) points for a game lost by forfeit.
      D.1.1 If there are two (2) teams in the classification with equal points, the result(s) of the
      game(s) between the two (2) teams involved will be used to determine the placing.
      D.1.2 If the points and the goal average in the games between the two (2) teams are still
      the same, the classification will be determined by the goal average of all the games
      played in the group by each team.
      D.1.3 If there are more than two (2) teams in the classification with equal points, a second
      classification will be established, taking into account only the results of the games
      between the involved teams.
      D.1.4 If at any stage of this procedure the number of teams with equal points is reduced
      to only two (2) teams, the procedure in D.1.1 and D.1.2 above will be applied.
      D.1.5 If in the second classification there are still teams with equal points, the goal
      average will be used to determine the placing, taking into account only the results
      of the games between the involved teams.
      D.1.6 If there are still more than two (2) teams with the same goal average, the placing
      will be determined using the goal average from the results of all their games played
      in the group.
      D.1.7 If at any stage of this procedure the number of teams with equal points is reduced
      to a tie still involving more than two (2) teams, the procedure, beginning with D.1.3
      above, is repeated.
      D.1.8 Goal average will always be calculated by division.
      So, for example, Canada, Venezuela, and Mexico are all at 3-2. (D.1)
      In games between the three teams, they are all 1-1. (D.1.3)
      In goal average (pts for/pts against) in games between the three teams (D.1.5) :
      1. Canada is 148/131 = 1.13
      2. Venezuela is 120/124 = 0.97
      3. Mexico is 122/145 = 0.84

At least that's my best understanding, but I haven't heard any of the commentators try to explain it, likely because it's just so damn confusing.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
        I don't think that's true. The tournament website says that FIBA rules for tiebreakers will be used, and here's the rules from the FIBA rulebook.
        (page 68 here: http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Rules/...lRules2012.pdf)

So, for example, Canada, Venezuela, and Mexico are all at 3-2. (D.1)
        In games between the three teams, they are all 1-1. (D.1.3)
        In goal average (pts for/pts against) in games between the three teams (D.1.5) :
        1. Canada is 148/131 = 1.13
        2. Venezuela is 120/124 = 0.97
        3. Mexico is 122/145 = 0.84

At least that's my best understanding, but I haven't heard any of the commentators try to explain it, likely because it's just so damn confusing.
        Oh, interesting. I was going by what I had heard the announcer say, which was probably a mistake given that he also said Tristan Thompson just finished his rookie year in the NBA, and pronounces Venezuela as "venn-zoo-ale-ah".

Comment

Man, Canada is getting no help from the rest of its group. Jamaica and Uruguay a combined 1-5 in the second round so far, and Puerto Rico even losing to Dominican. I'm getting really nervous about this game against DR.

Comment

Canada vs. Dominican is being broadcast on Sportsnet 360 for anyone interested.

Comment

How many games in this Second Round?

Comment

Woooow! Heslip has some pretty large balls ...

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Woooow! Heslip has some pretty large balls ...
                  what? Did his pants fall down or something?
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    what? Did his pants fall down or something?
                    Lol Smartass. Hit a big 3 before the half.

Ugh ... Rautins ...

Comment

Lol Smartass. Hit a big 3 before the half.

Ugh ... Rautins ...
                      flipping between it and cfl..didn't catch it. tight game, that's for sure
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Nicholson is having a massive game ... lets hope it pays off.

Comment

These refs are horse shit.

Comment

These refs are horse shit.
                            They're not consistent but it's about even on bad calls that go for/against Canada. Players win the game.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                              They're not consistent but it's about even on bad calls that go for/against Canada. Players win the game.
                              Oh completely agree. They're making bad calls for both teams.

Who knew Nicholson had this kind of range?! God damn. He didn't attempt a single 3 pointer all last year for Orlando. I imagine he'll start working that into his game.

Comment

This is painful to watch ... why is Nicholson not touching the ball every time down?!

Comment

Working...
                                X