Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TheNBAGeek.com: 2014 SURPRISE! (Toronto)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    You know it's a slow offseason when we're digging up articles from the middle of July to comment on around the middle of September.
    The analysis for the Raps is pretty apt though. No reason we shouldn't be a 40+ win team just by swapping Bargs for Hansborough (someone who rebounds and plays D). If we're not looking like a 40 win team then some mid-season trades will be made.
    I hope you are right.

Comment

I dont share the same optimism that many do, mostly because, this is not a tinker and move forward year. This is a full on rebuild, again. The reason you are seeing this "stand pat" moment is because really, there aren't many moves that CAN be made. UM isn't building his team with the current roster, nd any success they might have will be secondary in his decision making as the season moves on. Even if they are close to the playoffs, if there is a move that can be made to set them up for better positioning over the next 5 years, it will be made, and playoff hopes will be sacrificed for the greater good.

Injuries played a massive part in destroying managements ability to truly asses certain player value last year. So they have all gone away for a VERY LONG summer, again, and should all come in healthy and ready to go. THAT is when the assessment swill start, and over the first 20-30 games, players will start making those franchise decisions themselves with their play and with their willingness to adopt whatever team system/identity that they are asked too.

I see only a few safe players;

JV
      The stiff from Indiana
      Amir
      Gray

Thats it. And the reason is that one is a pure stud, one is the second coming of Horace Grant and is Championship team material from the shoulders up. The rest, low paid but hard working and tough scrubs. You keep those guys unless they are used to make bigger moves. These other guys...our "stars", well, they are all completely expendable for obvious reasons. They are big ticket contracts and therefore need to be big ticket win producers. They have not been that, and because of that, there has to be changes.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
        I dont share the same optimism that many do, mostly because, this is not a tinker and move forward year. This is a full on rebuild, again. The reason you are seeing this "stand pat" moment is because really, there aren't many moves that CAN be made. UM isn't building his team with the current roster, nd any success they might have will be secondary in his decision making as the season moves on. Even if they are close to the playoffs, if there is a move that can be made to set them up for better positioning over the next 5 years, it will be made, and playoff hopes will be sacrificed for the greater good.

Injuries played a massive part in destroying managements ability to truly asses certain player value last year. So they have all gone away for a VERY LONG summer, again, and should all come in healthy and ready to go. THAT is when the assessment swill start, and over the first 20-30 games, players will start making those franchise decisions themselves with their play and with their willingness to adopt whatever team system/identity that they are asked too.

JV
        The stiff from Indiana
        Amir
        Gray

Thats it. And the reason is that one is a pure stud, one is the second coming of Horace Grant and is Championship team material from the shoulders up. The rest, low paid but hard working and tough scrubs. You keep those guys unless they are used to make bigger moves. These other guys...our "stars", well, they are all completely expendable for obvious reasons. They are big ticket contracts and therefore need to be big ticket win producers. They have not been that, and because of that, there has to be changes.
        The "likes" are not working it would appear.

So I will go to old faithful: +1.

Comment

JV
          The stiff from Indiana
          Amir
          Gray

If this team has a respectable record by trade deadline. I don't see any big moves made.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            If this team has a respectable record by trade deadline. I don't see any big moves made.
            Just curious. What would you consider respectable?

Comment

I think the only way its seen as stand pat respectable, is if its .650 and above. That way you have both on court success and a hop ethat your guys who can leave might want to stay at a reasonable number. And even then..... who knows

Comment

I think the only way its seen as stand pat respectable, is if its .650 and above. That way you have both on court success and a hop ethat your guys who can leave might want to stay at a reasonable number. And even then..... who knows
                .65 is a 53 win season. That would be 6 more than all-time franchise best.

I have a feeling respectable for most Raptor fans is .500 and that is only ensuring a rebuild when JV is hitting his prime.

Comment

The trade deadline was at the 66 game mark last season. A record of 33-33 should hopefully signal a rebuild although 33 wins is a pretty solid win count considering the putrid record they've had the past few years.

If the goal is to get out of 7-11 then I hope a 33-33 record would mean a tear down.. but again I would prefer to see the tear down much sooner than that.

If no changes were done until the deadline then I personally would prefer to keep the team in tact with 40 wins or better (60%). Anything less than that and I would hope for a rebuild (but I'm hoping for that now so it would take a lot of wins to convince me otherwise hence a 40-26 record by the deadline).

Comment

I think if Casey gets to coach the team the way he wants to without BC interfering, then we can be a .500 team. The team did a lot better than expected two years ago with Casey, and last year we were .500 after the 4-19 start, which seems to be attributable to BC meddling from Casey's interview transcript (can't remember exactly where I read it).

Comment

Fonzi wrote: View Post
                      the 4-19 start, which seems to be attributable to BC meddling
                      The 4-19 start was a combination of an absolutely murderous early schedule with some really unlucky close games and the Lowry injury. I don't think you can blame BC too much on that one.

Comment

Does anyone remember a few years back. When a magic team came on strong at the beginning of the season. They were like a top 3 team sent like 3 players to the all-start game. After the deadline they feel off and ended up like a 7 seed.

I can't see that happening to the raptors this year. The teams that usually start the season well are the teams that have pretty much the same players and coaches as the year before.

As soon as the more talented teams get use to the the new personalle than will be in trouble. Hopefully by than will be extremely comfident.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Just curious. What would you consider respectable?
                          lebron james or bust

Comment

Maybe I'm just bored because it's been forever since the season and draft ended and thus anything of real substance to talk about, but all this talk about MU waithing to see how we start the season to decide what he wants to do next is just sounding like bs to me. Does a guy who has been around the NBA for so long now, and has intimate knowledge of the players really need to see how the same team from the previous year is going to fare this season? Like what is there left for him to judge about the roster? JV isn't going any where and all the likely suspects for a trade (Gay, DeRozan, Lowry, Amir, Feilds) are known quatities. They aren't about to do something completely extraordinary this season. I think MU already knows what he wants to do and no matter how we start the season it won't change his plans.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Maybe I'm just bored because it's been forever since the season and draft ended and thus anything of real substance to talk about, but all this talk about MU waithing to see how we start the season to decide what he wants to do next is just sounding like bs to me. Does a guy who has been around the NBA for so long now, and has intimate knowledge of the players really need to see how the same team from the previous year is going to fare this season? Like what is there left for him to judge about the roster? JV isn't going any where and all the likely suspects for a trade (Gay, DeRozan, Lowry, Amir, Feilds) are known quatities. They aren't about to do something completely extraordinary this season. I think MU already knows what he wants to do and no matter how we start the season it won't change his plans.
                              And me.

I'm not confident in saying I know what he is going to do (I know what I want him to do) but whatever it is you can guarantee he is waiting to maximize whatever opportunity presents itself for whatever path he sees the team going on.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                And me.

I'm not confident in saying I know what he is going to do (I know what I want him to do) but whatever it is you can guarantee he is waiting to maximize whatever opportunity presents itself for whatever path he sees the team going on.
                                You agreed with him, and then contradicted his argument with the reasoning behind MU waiting until the season starts to make more moves. We are trying to maximize value and no one on the roster other than JV and Amir is currently at maximum value. Gay, Lowry, Derozan, Fields, and Ross all need some good play to up their value before we move them.

Comment

Working...
                                X