• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last known Canadian WWI vet dies at 109

Last known Canadian WWI vet dies at 109

Babcock also served in U.S. Army after the war
    By Nicholas K. Geranios - The Associated Press
    Posted : Thursday Feb 18, 2010 21:38:07 EST

SPOKANE, Wash. — The oldest Canadian veteran of World War I has died at the age of 109.

John Babcock died Thursday in Spokane, where he has lived since 1932, according to a statement from Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

“I was deeply saddened to learn today of the death of John Babcock, Canada’s last known First World War veteran,” Harper said. “As a nation, we honor his service and mourn his passing.”

Babcock had become a celebrity in recent years, especially in Canada.
    more on link

http://militarytimes.com/news/2010/0...wi_vet_021810/
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I read this in the paper yesterday. Sad, but an amazing life this man must of had living 109 years. I'm a big historian buff especially when it comes to both World War I and II and the stories Mr. Babcock could of shared I probably would be left awestruck. And end of an important era in Canadian history yesterday.

Comment

Wow this guy lived for a very long time and seen it all.

Another amazing fact when he was born, they were still using peach baskets in basketball games.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
        I read this in the paper yesterday. Sad, but an amazing life this man must of had living 109 years. I'm a big historian buff especially when it comes to both World War I and II and the stories Mr. Babcock could of shared I probably would be left awestruck. And end of an important era in Canadian history yesterday.

Comment

Working...
        X