Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Raps emphasize offensive rebounding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Jonas is not exactly elite, but he's hardly been horrid. He ranked ahead of Al Horford, Chris Kaman, Marc Gasol, Kendrick Perkins, Byron Mullens, and within shouting distance of Bogut, Noah, Haywood and Mohammed. Among C's who played 1000 minutes plus, he ranked 16th in ORB% out of 24. He's been somewhat below average. Of course, with a strategy focused on offensive rebounding, you'd expect his numbers to go up.

Hansbrough is very good, Amir is good (9th and 29th league wide among 1000 minute players - Valanciunas is 46th, which is still pretty good). Fields is indeed the top wing on the Raps at 94th in the league. I see no reason why we wouldn't have the personnel for this sort of thing.
    Yeah I never look up number to back up what I see, which often comes back to bite me. The stats on Jonas surprised me a bit because I never really remember seeing him grab many 0-boards besides the ol' Moses Malone-types. Two of the bigger issues I think we'd face isn't just the boards themselves -which would obviously go up with an emphasis on grabbing the misses- are:

1. Sending our 2-3 best defenders to the rim would hang our lesser defenders (wing guys) out to dry, which would probably result in bursts of scoring from the opposition. With nobody to protect the rim in transition we'd see a lot of early fouls on Derozan and Gay. That would be debilitating.

2. Honestly if we focus on getting shots closer to the rim we shouldn't have to worry so much about following up. I know that's a blanket statement, but since we shot a ridiculous amount of long 2's there won't have to be much change to the offense in order to find better looks. I think that should be way more of a focus than offensive rebounding.

I dunno. I would never say that we shouldn't, but there's so many things we need to work on, offensive rebounds seems to be somewhat of a tweak after you get all of the other systems in place. Until we nail down our offense and transition defense I think we'd be setting ourselves up for a faster-paced game, and when you don't shoot efficiently that could mean a lot of blowouts.
    "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
      ...1. Sending our 2-3 best defenders to the rim would hang our lesser defenders (wing guys) out to dry, which would probably result in bursts of scoring from the opposition. With nobody to protect the rim in transition we'd see a lot of early fouls on Derozan and Gay. That would be debilitating....
      Teams that purposely go after OReb's also purposely send their wings and PG back on D early. Making sure they are between defenders and their own basket doesn't hurt when having Bigs crash the boards because 9/10 the Big will go up for an immediate basket and either make it or get fouled.

Comment

Working...
      X