• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIGH-FLYING MORAIS HEADS TO RAPTORS

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/14/...0/article.html

Comment

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Nf5JW...eature=related

5 years ago against team USA. This game a lone would of got him a contract in Europe. I think the reason why he played in Africa all this time is cause hour wanted too. Not because he wasn't talented enough..
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Nf5JW...eature=related

5 years ago against team USA. This game a lone would of got him a contract in Europe. I think the reason why he played in Africa all this time is cause hour wanted too. Not because he wasn't talented enough..
        That would be pretty terrible on his part. IT's like staying in the D-League instead of accepting a call-up to the NBA. You just don't stay in a worse basketball league. It's harder to keep improving, and at the very least, it shows you have no sense of making the most of your career financially. If he signed one or two big Euro contracts even, it would probably leave him and his family set for life. Maybe he comes from a wealthy family...but if not, that would be effin crazy.

and on the game. I'm not that impressed. USA was very obviously takign it easy after they built their lead. D was not that tight, nobody really cared to help, and they basically gave him some shots and lanes. Not a great way to gauge his ability. If I were a scout, I definitely wouldn't use it as the basis of any decision. You can see he has a decent stroke and that's about it. Most scores are faced with little to no resistance.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
          So sign the 15th player to a non-guaranteed deal and cut him if the Gay trade happens and we need the open roster spot. Easy solution.
          You still have to pay him on a non-guaranteed deal. I'm not sure how if affects cap numbers overall, but at the very least it would add on any guaranteed (paid) money he makes before getting cut...and then possibly some added guaranteed money if he had a set partially guaranteed deal. Seems like a waste of money if the guy is totally not in the team's plans for actual basketball reasons. Don't think it actually does much for them marketing either....I mean, what market does it help them expand into and exploit? Africa is not exactly a hotbed of tv rights and merchandise sales.

I mean, if he proves he can step into the top 10-12 of the rotation, and actually contribute when called upon at a dirt-cheap price, that's fine. But I think he'd need to have one heck of a preseason, and basically outplay about all the reserve wings and guards on the team. Otherwise, if he's just a fringe NBA wing at best, you can avoid signing him, go into the season with 14, and if you ever need to sign someone to a deal because of injuries or something, you can always do it, even on a 10-day contract with very little risk and financial burden, whether it's Morais, or someone from the D-League, or whatever.

Comment

You have got to hope that Masai signed him for a reason. If the reason is simply to give him a sniff of an NBA training camp, on a non-guaranteed contract, to help improve basketball in Africa, that's good enough for me. It will have no significant impact on the Raptors this season. If he signed him because it helps maintain his credibility as the "Godfather of NBA basketball" in Africa, that may well help the Raptors in the future because Masai gets the phone calls from his contacts in 2014/2015/2016, not other GM's. If he signed him because he believe there is a chance Morais might actually help the Raps this season, well, Masai's in a better position to judge that then I am.

Masai seems like the kind of guy that often has two or three good reasons for doing things, so it could well be a combination of all three above (or other reasons) making it worthwhile and puts this particular signing ahead of others that were available.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              You have got to hope that Masai signed him for a reason. If the reason is simply to give him a sniff of an NBA training camp, on a non-guaranteed contract, to help improve basketball in Africa, that's good enough for me. It will have no significant impact on the Raptors this season. If he signed him because it helps maintain his credibility as the "Godfather of NBA basketball" in Africa, that may well help the Raptors in the future because Masai gets the phone calls from his contacts in 2014/2015/2016, not other GM's. If he signed him because he believe there is a chance Morais might actually help the Raps this season, well, Masai's in a better position to judge that then I am.

Masai seems like the kind of guy that often has two or three good reasons for doing things, so it could well be a combination of all three above (or other reasons) making it worthwhile and puts this particular signing ahead of others that were available.
              The bold is basically what I think the main reason is. I don't think there's a real expectation that the guy will make the team, and I don't think it's a conscious effort to do anything to maintain his Africa-NBA rep, as he is probably very obviously ahead of most guys in the league in knowing the region and having contacts.

But I still think it's highly likely the 15th spot isn't filled unless someone brings something outstanding to camp/preseason. He wno't just sign one of Wright, Stone or Morais for the heck of it to fill the spot.

Comment

It's going to be very interesting if Juju makes the squad. He just seems like a DC player. If they decide to use Lowry more as a scorer this season. I think he'd me the better option to back him up. Defense first player that's looks to get the ball to our shooters(Ross, Novak, Daye even Buycks) off the bench.
                http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoWDm_3gpg
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  It's going to be very interesting if Juju makes the squad. He just seems like a DC player. If they decide to use Lowry more as a scorer this season. I think he'd me the better option to back him up. Defense first player that's looks to get the ball to our shooters(Ross, Novak, Daye even Buycks) off the bench.
                  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NPoWDm_3gpg
                  I've thought the same thing. Assuming Stone plays well enough to earn the spot, his strengths seem to fit both Casey's philosophy and what the team needs more of offensively (a ball mover as opposed to stopper).

Comment

My line of thinking is along the lines of:

the 15th spot is Stone's to lose.

He already was offered a guaranteed contract but for whatever reasons (my understanding is injury led to inability to workout and becoming out of shape) it was withdrawn.

If he is ready to play at the level Ujiri thought he was able to when the original contract was offered then welcome to the team, Julyan!

The points about his contrasting style to Lowry's are good ones especially with the shooters on the second unit.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

He already was offered a guaranteed contract but for whatever reasons (my understanding is injury led to inability to workout and becoming out of shape) it was withdrawn.

If he is ready to play at the level Ujiri thought he was able to when the original contract was offered then welcome to the team, Julyan!

The points about his contrasting style to Lowry's are good ones especially with the shooters on the second unit.
                      Also Stone could fit in well next to any of the other PGs, as he can defend SGs with his size quite easily (at least in theory), and run the point if Buycks isn't that good at it...and well we know Augustin has been pretty bad in that respect. Stone definitely intrigues me the most. I don't think Wright has much of a chance. And I have no real clue what to expect from Morais, but I still feel pretty sure it's just to give him a taste of the NBA for the good of basketball development in Africa in general.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

It all depends on how Casey wants to use Kyle Lowry this year. If he want Lowry to be Rondo 2.0. Which is what it seemed like at the end of last year. It seemed like he was getting comfortable in to finishing off the season. If so than I think Buycks would be the better option for back up. I see it being the latter. With both DD and Rudy in the starting line up, they have no choice but to play Lowry like that. Even in that scenario I can see Juju being used. A bench backcourt of Stone and Buycks could be very interesting. Yes this would only happen if Ross has a terrible showing at training camp. The thing is I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. Juju and Buycks are just hungrier than Ross.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                        X