• Show
Clear All

• #4 Worst Franchise in NBA History

TORONTO RAPTORS
    Wins: 502
    Losses: 696
    All Time Winning %: 41.9
    Playoff Success: 2001 Conference Semifinals

Confession: I first visited Toronto this past April, yes it did snow, and I really liked it. I also liked the other parts of Canada I visited, Ottawa and Montreal, and I have some great friends there. But there is absolutely no reason for this team to exist. At all. They had a chance, with Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady, to be an absolute powerhouse. But they were not. Why? Because T-Mac wanted his own team and didn’t want to live in Toronto. He now admits it was a bad decision to leave, but he certainly left. His advisers wanted to send him to the Chicago Bulls, a franchise where his endorsement potential would have been much greater than Toronto. He balked, and went to Orlando because he’s a Florida kid who hates the cold.

And that’s the thing about Toronto. Chicago and New York can have nasty winters and players will put up with it because they can pull an extra blanket of $100 bills over them at night from all the products they’re representing. Those that play in Toronto cannot. Steve Nash is a Canadian by birth. He’s played in Dallas, Phoenix and will close out his career with Los Angeles. He’s had enough of the cold. Plus, the golden years of the Raptors weren’t really that golden at all. Sure Vince Carter was outstanding to watch, but the furthest they’ve ever progressed in the playoffs is to the second round, back in 2001. Since? Nada. They have the same problem Minnesota has vis-à-vis the weather, plus an issue of the currency difference between Canada and the United States and the tax difference between Canada and the United States. Chris Bosh took less money up front to go to Miami, but since Florida has no state income tax, he’s going to keep a lot more of it for himself and then can get some more endorsement deals and photobomb people on Ocean Drive. How can Toronto compete with that? The answer is that they cannot. I root for you, good Canadian people, and I feel your pain.
    http://dimemag.com/2013/09/10-worst-...nba-history/4/

Ouch!

Dude, why?

Comment

He rips the Clippers a lot harder than he does Toronto.
      Everything he has to say about Toronto is hearsay, and not really based on anything factual.
      We really don't know if keeping players is a problem until the team is winning.
      Otherwise, we face the same problem as any other non-winning team.

And as per the endorsements argument, Vince had NO problem getting endorsements while with Toronto.
      Assuming the player is good enough, they'll get what's theirs here in Toronto.

Comment

The Toronto franchise exists because of the great fan base for NBA basketball here. The last time I looked the games are played indoors unaffected by weather. The Raptors' past is water under the bridge.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          Dude, why?
          This has been one of the most painfully slowest off-seasons in recent memory.

The Jays being out of contention in May didn't help matters.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Have to agree with you, but it's weird how that works considering the makeover that has taken place. Bargs finally gone.. BC finally gone..
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

The weather?

Sounds like financial media explaining why retail sales are down.

Bullshit.

Bad management and poor decisions are why the Raptors are where they are.

Start winning and/or be exciting and nothing else matters.

VC use to lead off SC in the US - Toronto/Canada be damned.

The reality is the Raptors - for how bloody awful they've been - are one of the most profitable teams with attendance in upper half of league despite being 8 wins shy of worst record over the last 11(?) seasons.

Everything about the Toronto Raptors is good except for the W's and L's.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                plus one million

all we need now is more wins
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  The weather?

Sounds like financial media explaining why retail sales are down.

Bullshit.

Bad management and poor decisions are why the Raptors are where they are.

Start winning and/or be exciting and nothing else matters.

VC use to lead off SC in the US - Toronto/Canada be damned.

The reality is the Raptors - for how bloody awful they've been - are one of the most profitable teams with attendance in upper half of league despite being 8 wins shy of worst record over the last 11(?) seasons.

BINGO. It's brutal to listen to people slag Toronto as a sports city. If this team were even mediocre (Atlanta Hawks type success), the Raptors would be top five in attendance.

Comment

That's too shallow an analysis.
                    It's the internet; he just should have made a list. Then the Raptors' fans at RR would have done some competent analysis and had an useful discussion.
                    He looked at a picture postcard of reality and produced Derp! Weather! Derp!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

The Jays being out of contention in May didn't help matters.
                      They got rid of AB and BC which is what most of us on RR wanted. What would have been more painful is to have both back and BC feeding us more bs about how things would turn around for AB and team this year.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        They got rid of AB and BC which is what most of us on RR wanted. What would have been more painful is to have both back and BC feeding us more bs about how things would turn around for AB and team this year.
                        The "it could always be worse" approach.. I like it. Lol

I have to agree though. That list is needless offseason jabber.
                        This franchise has made some great moves toward legitimacy. Whether they can follow though, is anybodies guess, but I think Raptors fans should be more optimistic now than they have been in a long time.

Comment

I'd really hope a professional writer could think of a better reason not to have a team in one of the largest cities in North America than "It's cold doeee"

Comment

This time for winning is now. The talk of tanking divides me like no other issue because there is nothing I want more than sustainable success for this team. This city deserves it and there is no reason why we can't get there. Our history has our share of all-stars, semi-stars, veterens, good players. Never an A+ coach, but some good ones, not great. Coach Casey is a good one. Triano was terrible, smitch was ok, butch was a good one, every other are not even working in the nba today. We have a good team this year (on paper) its time to bring it and create a winning culture. I fear if it doesn't pan out this go around (2-4 yrs) then, well I dont know what, but I am tired of dissappointment. I hope Lieweke understands the futility we have been in and what he preaches comes to fruition. Wiggins is not the complete answer. For those hanging your hopes on an 18yr old is short sighted. This year, seems like every year, we see what our true value is worth. My assumption is that we were a lot better than that 3-17 start. 3-17!!!! for the talent we had, we should have been a ton better. Il Mago in and Gay out lets see were we are after 20 games.

Thats why we are viewed like that by others, we dont have a winning culture. Of course they are going to question. One stupid thing that drives me nuts is the weather. Snow, sadly that could be a determing factor but for those who have been or live in Toronto, know its an incredible city, with a plethora of culture. It is loved by a lot of NBA players. Hell you can see how much Amir loves it. Its all about winning. Win and they will come. Win and there will be players that want to come.

As for Wiggins, you have a better chance at grabbing him when he is a free agent, let him cut his chops with another team. We have home field advantage and if he is the player we all want him to be then he can make a shit load more in Canada being the man, leading the national team, leading the home team, then being clumped together with Lebron, CP3, Durant, Rose , et. al.

Be smart about it, not desperate. If you have to pin your future success on an 18 yr old, then you already lost as a franchise.
                            Last edited by imaginelino; Sat Sep 21, 2013, 10:09 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              The "it could always be worse" approach.. I like it. Lol

I have to agree though. That list is needless offseason jabber.
                              This franchise has made some great moves toward legitimacy. Whether they can follow though, is anybodies guess, but I think Raptors fans should be more optimistic now than they have been in a long time.
                              If there is one constant I've found with Raptor fans - there is always a reason to be more optimistic than last year

Comment

Working...
                              X