Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    DeMar should have took the three..
    He caught it too deep, and then had to dribble, dribble, dribble.
    Was a big problem for Demar last year getting clean shots.

Some solid screens from Psycho-T will help though I'm sure.

Comment

Indiana65 wrote: View Post
      I think all of you in Toronto are going to be greatly surprised by Tyler Hansbrough. He is far better than advertised--just needs the minutes to do his thing. He is a foul drawing magnet, tough as nails, and if he gets his jump shot back (which he lost confidence in last year) he can be hard to handle. No one could have succeeded with the bunch he had to play with on Indiana's second unit last season. Look at his numbers when he was a starter, got the minutes, and played with the starters.

One thing, however, Toronto brought in Augustin. I read on the Pacer forum when that happened and one poster said, correctly, poor Tyler. Augustin cannot feed the post and made no effort to get the ball to Hansbrough last year when he was in perfect position to do something with it. Was it his lack of ability as a point guard to make those passes or what? I have no clue. I have also kind of gotten the idea from reading the forum here that you may have some outside shooters here in Toronto who are not crazy about feeding the big men either. I don't know for I have not seen you guys play that much, just an impression I got from the reading the posts here over the summer.

I hope to get the NBA league pass this year and follow you guys because after one has said all the bad things they can say about Tyler he is nevertheless a lot of fun to watch. On the Pacer forum they were griping all the time about how the fans were always giving Tyler the biggest reception of any of the players on the squad at the games. It wasn't because he was the best player, certainly, but he was the most entertaining.
      Are you related to Tyler Hansbrough?

Comment

Indiana65 wrote: View Post
        I think all of you in Toronto are going to be greatly surprised by Tyler Hansbrough. He is far better than advertised--just needs the minutes to do his thing. He is a foul drawing magnet, tough as nails, and if he gets his jump shot back (which he lost confidence in last year) he can be hard to handle. No one could have succeeded with the bunch he had to play with on Indiana's second unit last season. Look at his numbers when he was a starter, got the minutes, and played with the starters.

One thing, however, Toronto brought in Augustin. I read on the Pacer forum when that happened and one poster said, correctly, poor Tyler. Augustin cannot feed the post and made no effort to get the ball to Hansbrough last year when he was in perfect position to do something with it. Was it his lack of ability as a point guard to make those passes or what? I have no clue. I have also kind of gotten the idea from reading the forum here that you may have some outside shooters here in Toronto who are not crazy about feeding the big men either. I don't know for I have not seen you guys play that much, just an impression I got from the reading the posts here over the summer.

I hope to get the NBA league pass this year and follow you guys because after one has said all the bad things they can say about Tyler he is nevertheless a lot of fun to watch. On the Pacer forum they were griping all the time about how the fans were always giving Tyler the biggest reception of any of the players on the squad at the games. It wasn't because he was the best player, certainly, but he was the most entertaining.
        Are you Tyler Hansbrough?

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
          DeMar should have took the three..
          Yep. I've been rewatching a few games from the season and damn... I see so many instances where he could take a three if he wanted to, defenses really play off him and Rudy Gay attracts a lot of defense. If he could get a stroke going it'd be huge

Comment

All I can say is Buycks Buycks Buycks baby!

Comment

Tyler has a big body of work 4 years ncaa plus 3 with pacers. He should NOT be judjed too much on last year with a very weak indy bench which has since been improved. This pickup will be a big surprise for some of the naysayers. He adds toughness 'rebounding vocal leadership drawing foul as well as physically beating down the opposition along with jv amir and even gray

Comment

amateur gm wrote: View Post
                I agree....JV, Amir and Psycho T...toughness and never ending energy...I like it
                That is something we haven't seen since Oakley, Antonio Davis and Kevin Willis.

Comment

I have always liked the Hansbrough signing. He's one of the guys I hated the most in the league before we got him...therefore I will likely love what he brings for us. I also agree that he's generally underrated and has some solid skills (even when I hated him). And with JV and Amir, the team could really be a pain for others down low. JV and he should make a very physical pairing, and since Tyler is an excellent offensive rebounder, he will always be a factor when the team is running plays for other guys as well. I think he'll have a bounceback season compared to last year. His FG % will never be that efficient for a big, but his FT % along with his aggressiveness should make up for it...and his physical play has been desperately lacking at the PF position for about a decade. Reggie Evans really doesn't count.

I really like the mix of physical and bball skills our top 3 bigs bring. The best this team has had for a long time. And even Gray may not be the ideal backup C, but he's smart defensively, and has the size to truly bang and bother other giants in the league. Heck he's even smart offensively...just can't put the ball in the hole.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    I have always liked the Hansbrough signing. He's one of the guys I hated the most in the league before we got him...therefore I will likely love what he brings for us. I also agree that he's generally underrated and has some solid skills (even when I hated him). And with JV and Amir, the team could really be a pain for others down low. JV and he should make a very physical pairing, and since Tyler is an excellent offensive rebounder, he will always be a factor when the team is running plays for other guys as well. I think he'll have a bounceback season compared to last year. His FG % will never be that efficient for a big, but his FT % along with his aggressiveness should make up for it...and his physical play has been desperately lacking at the PF position for about a decade. Reggie Evans really doesn't count.

I really like the mix of physical and bball skills our top 3 bigs bring. The best this team has had for a long time. And even Gray may not be the ideal backup C, but he's smart defensively, and has the size to truly bang and bother other giants in the league. Heck he's even smart offensively...just can't put the ball in the hole.
                    I never really watched Tyler play. Why do you think that his field goal percentage will never be efficient for a big? What does he do wrong? And also what do you think was his problem last season with Indiana? Why did he have such an off season?
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Off-topic: I know it's not in Amir's personality but he's a vet on this team, and I'd like to see him get after some his teammates for sloppy defense and poor positioning.
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                        I never really watched Tyler play. Why do you think that his field goal percentage will never be efficient for a big? What does he do wrong? And also what do you think was his problem last season with Indiana? Why did he have such an off season?
                        Well I won't go into the last season too much. Some stuff has been talked about already, like how weak the bench was and how absolutely dreadful Augustin was at delivering the ball to bigs.

As for his FG %, I think it's pretty simple, in that I just don't think he has a great touch around the basket for a big. He has some ok post moves, but is just not a great finisher. His jumper needs work too. He basically scores at his best around the bucket, but doesn't have the finesse or physical ability to finish around/over/through guys. Again, he has some ok moves, which helps him initiate contact or keep his defender off balance, but unless he's open at the rim, he just doesn't have the array of hooks, banks, up and unders, etc....that help a big score. And without a better jumper, his man is rarely out too far to check him, giving him less space to work with if he wants to get in close. So yeah, I don't think he'll ever have that great a FG% for a big.

He makes up for it by being strong on the glass, as he has a great ORB% at about 12.8%, which is higher than West or Bosh who are both around 7%, to take two random high-calibre PFs. His per48 # is 5.7 (leader is Evans at 6.3), and is good for 8th in the league. Thus he makes up for his low effectiveness one-on-one scoring game by picking up extra possessions and likely finishing uncontested layups/dunks by outhustling guys and being in the right place.

And he also makes up for it by drawing lots of fouls, and having a quality FT% for a big. He averaged 3.7 FTA per game last year in just about 17 mpg. Comparing that to West, who averaged just 4.3 attempts in roughly double the minutes at 33.4. That's a phenomenal rate, and better than most starting bigs in the league. Basically he's always being physical and initiating contact, so his presence is always felt by the other team, and is rewarded some by getting the whistle blown and picking up points at the line. Just for fun, his per 48 # here is 10.5 FTA, which puts him at 4th (!!!) in the league, behind only Harden, Howard and Durant, and ahead of guys LeBron, Kobe, Westbrook, Melo...and many more. He is just a nightmare to deal with down low because of his physicality, which he uses to his advantage.

So while his FG% stays low, he's not wholly inefficient by any means. He makes up for shooting poorly by doing other things which vastly increase his overall offensive efficiency.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Sep 22, 2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

This is great to hear! Thanks so much for giving me a little insight into Hansbrough's game?
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Interesting post, thanks OP.

Your Indiana team has a reputation for being a tough but dirty team and the Raps/Pacers games were always gritty type games but after seeing the Hansbrough / JV altercation where Jonas almost gets suplexed to the ground looking all injured (and no foul!!?). From that moment on the hate was on! and I truly despised Hansbrough (the play definitely was dirty) then to find out that hes been traded to my team!? I say perfect! Im starting to get real interested in seeing him on the court. Wanna see just how dirty this dude plays. Wanna see if he can produce given the minutes like everyones been saying over and over again. Wanna see how he gets on with the rest of the squad.

OP> If what you say is true, and Tyler produces, then he'll be a fan favorite almost instantly. Toronto has had a revolving door of hustle-type, fan favorites. Reggie, Oakley, Popeye , JYD all fan favorites and all had practically the same game as Hansbrough plus I think the fact that a lot of people already hated the guy makes the story that much more sweeter once he's won everyone over. Like they say in hockey "the guys that you hate, the guys that get under your skin - those are the guys you love to have on your team"

Like I said, its gonna be interesting to watch if he sinks or swims, that's ditto for Ross and personally, I aint holding my breath on either of them, but hey, anyone putting on a Raptors jersey automatically gets a second chance in my books. The stage is set.
                            Last edited by OldSchool; Sun Sep 22, 2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

OldSchool wrote: View Post
                              Interesting post, thanks OP.

Your Indiana team has a reputation for being a tough but dirty team and the Raps/Pacers games were always gritty type games but after seeing the Hansbrough / JV altercation where Jonas almost gets suplexed to the ground looking all injured (and no foul!!?). From that moment on the hate was on! and I truly despised Hansbrough (the play definitely was dirty) then to find out that hes been traded to my team!? I say perfect! Im starting to get real interested in seeing him on the court. Wanna see just how dirty this dude plays. Wanna see if he can produce given the minutes like everyones been saying over and over again. Wanna see how he gets on with the rest of the squad.

OP> If what you say is true, and Tyler produces, then he'll be a fan favorite almost instantly. Toronto has had a revolving door of hustle-type, fan favorites. Reggie, Oakley, Popeye , JYD all fan favorites and all had practically the same game as Hansbrough plus I think the fact that a lot of people already hated the guy makes the story that much more sweeter once he's won everyone over. Like they say in hockey "the guys that you hate, the guys that get under your skin - those are the guys you love to have on your team"

Like I said, its gonna be interesting to watch if he sinks or swims, that's ditto for Ross and personally, I aint holding my breath on either of them, but hey, anyone putting on a Raptors jersey automatically gets a second chance in my books. The stage is set.
                              He doesn't play dirty. Shane Battier plays dirty, or Bruce Bowen played dirty. Those guys try to throw a hidden elbow here or there and rile up their opponent or sometimes even hurt them.
                              Hansbrough is just tough, he hustles and fights every single rebound. He's also very physically strong. Which results in some players bouncing off him. He's also very aggressive offensively in the post, which results in a lot of fouls, which in turn results in fans disliking him ("the refs are biased towards Hansbrough?").

I'm not sure the Jonas play was intentional, btw. Jonas tends to ram into people with all he's got, as if he's pushing a car, and if the car suddenly disappears, he goes flying.

Comment

everyone loves to hate the pacers.

Comment

Working...
                                X