Novak a member or the starting 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novak a member or the starting 5?

I know it may seem like a strange idea at first, but let's just think about it.

-Novak can play both forward spots.
    -None of the current starters can really shoot the 3.
    -Novak can shoot the 3.
    -We currently don't really have a backup center.
    -Amir was really good last season as a center.
    -Amir could be our backup center.
    -Give more playing time to the wings.
    -Etc.

Let's look at what could be the rotation:
    Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray
    Novak/Hansbrough/Acy
    Gay/Fields/Daye
    DeRozan/Ross/Stone
    Lowry/Augustin/Buycks

Novak would be a stretch 4, with Jonas being the man in the middle. Difference between this situation and Bargnani's one is that Novak won't ask for a lot of minutes and he's a winner. Plus we won't have the same expectations for him that we had for Bargnani.

I think it would simply really improve our rotations. Amir can still play more minutes than him, I just think it would fit better with this rotation.

What do you guys think of this idea?
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Sun Sep 22, 2013, 04:57 PM.

that's an excellent idea. though there may be a point where his defensive deficiencies outweigh the benefits of having him space the floor. probably have to use him more sparsely because of this.

Comment

This is absurd!
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        This is absurd!
        Why so

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          Why so
          You just went from having Andrea as starter and you want a even worse defender to set the tone at the beginning of the game?
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Rest assured barring injury Novak will be coming off the bench all season to space the floor and bang in some treys! nothing more nothing less.

ROLE PLAYER

Comment

Difference between this situation and Bargnani's one is that Novak won't ask for a lot of minutes and he's a winner. Plus we won't have the same expectations for him that we had for Bargnani.
              None of these three points particularly support the argument that he should start. "Not asking for a lot of minutes" is not a necessary characteristic of a starter. "He's a winner" doesn't actually mean anything. And having lower expectations doesn't do anything to actually help the team win.

I think it would simply really improve our rotations. Amir can still play more minutes than him, I just think it would fit better with this rotation.
              On the contrary; having him on the second unit means he plays fewer minutes against starter- and star-level offensive talents. Given how bad he is on D, playing him against weaker offensive players makes a lot of sense.

Comment

charlesnba23 >> wait till you see his defense lol

Comment

I don't think Novak could, should, or would start (barring injuries or trades, and then only for a few games as possible).

He is a floor spacer and will help space the floor for limited stretches.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

You have to anticipate opposing coaches totally abusing that PF matchup to start the game. With Novak trying to defend the likes of Dirk, Griffin, West, Millsap, etc, we'd be down double-digits before the first TV timeout.

Comment

Only way I could see Novak starting is if it was for specific match up's, and maybe only if he was starting at SF and Rudy PF...again very specific match up against small ball teams that just try to out score you by getting up and down the court quickly as possible.

Comment

-Novak can shoot the 3.
                        -Etc.

Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray
                        Novak/Hansbrough/Acy
                        Gay/Fields/Daye
                        DeRozan/Ross/Stone
                        Lowry/Augustin/Buycks

Novak would be a stretch 4, with Jonas being the man in the middle. Difference between this situation and Bargnani's one is that Novak won't ask for a lot of minutes and he's a winner. Plus we won't have the same expectations for him that we had for Bargnani.

Good thought not absurd but Novak not great defensively and Amir's minutes would decrease at a time when he is improving to become one of our most consistent two way players.

Comment

Stop the insanity. Shut this thread down.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

If this happens, it will happen later in the season. With Amir and Jonas on the roster, the opening day starting lineup will consist of them as 4 and 5.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

-Novak can shoot the 3.
                              -Etc.

Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray
                              Novak/Hansbrough/Acy
                              Gay/Fields/Daye
                              DeRozan/Ross/Stone
                              Lowry/Augustin/Buycks

Only if we are planning on going FULL tank mode!

Comment

Working...
                              X