Dexter *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

May be a little late now that the series just ended but did anyone see the finale last night? What did you think of the ending?
    *SPOILER*

Personally I think it would've been better without that last scene with Dexter as a lumberjack and just left him dead(not against him but still it seems suited) but jeez such a depressing finale, had me feeling things a show hasn't had me feel before. I was really hoping Deb would survive and that last scene with Hannah was so depressing.

Also apparently they may consider a spin-off revolving around Hannah and Harrison, and with Dexter still alive maybe that's not the last we see of him...but probably is.

All in all there was a lot I would change about the entire last season, it seemed there was a lot of loose ends and the ending of the final episode. But still the most of it was well done and extremely depressing. I don't know if I can handle the last episode of Breaking Bad so soon after the last episode of Dexter.

I just watched it.

Thought he was going to pull a Oliver Saxon and steal someone's identity to meet up with them.... Dexter Morgan would have been "dead" and not able to harm the ones he loves.

The last scene I think symbolizes his suicide would have been too easy. By staying alive and becoming a lumber jack he makes himself suffer every single day with the guilt of Deb and the knowledge Hannah and his son are out there.

I use to love Dexter but the last couple of years have been weak. Glad it is over to be honest. Sometimes things just run their course.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I just watched it.

Thought he was going to pull a Oliver Saxon and steal someone's identity to meet up with them.... Dexter Morgan would have been "dead" and not able to harm the ones he loves.

The last scene I think symbolizes his suicide would have been too easy. By staying alive and becoming a lumber jack he makes himself suffer every single day with the guilt of Deb and the knowledge Hannah and his son are out there.

I use to love Dexter but the last couple of years have been weak. Glad it is over to be honest. Sometimes things just run their course.
      There was a big switch over in writers and producers after season 4 I believe(whichever season Rita dies). I agree though. It seemed to drag out and become repetitive each season. They probably could've taken out a couple seasons and you would still understand what's going on.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
        There was a big switch over in writers and producers after season 4 I believe(whichever season Rita dies). I agree though. It seemed to drag out and become repetitive each season. They probably could've taken out a couple seasons and you would still understand what's going on.
        The death of Rita aka trinity season was the high point of the show

Comment

I actually thought the series went down hill at the start of season 3.. and that I think is when they got new writers/producers. Season 4 is considered a classic, but it was actually just okay for me. Killing off Rita was a great idea, but you could say having Debra catch Dexter in the act at the end of season 7 was a better shocker. Casting Lithgow was a genius idea.

The best thing about Dexter was Hall's acting. Some good comedy at times, but overall it had such better potential then was realized.

As for the final moments of the last episode.. I liked it. Dexter has guilt over Debra's death. He didn't want the same fate for Hanna/Harrison so he lives in isolation. He no longer wants to be human so he's doing what he can to separate himself from everyone.

The best part of the finally was watching Batista's face as he watched Dexter kill Saxon and Dexter just playing along like he was just a victim. Priceless.

Comment

Liked the first year a lot. The second year was worse. The third year worse than that. Fourth season was much better but the suspension of disbelief it required starting wearing on me.

The last couple of years I have recorded the episodes and found myself just fast forwarding though most of it. It seemed like the just ran out of ideas for the show, which constantly seemed to try and recreate the dynamics between him and his brother by replacing the latter (Lithgow, Jimy Smits, Hannah, Lila, etc.). Most of it didn't work. The biggest mistake was killing off Doakes and that entire storyline. The Doakes/Dexter stuff was some of the best of the show and they never found a good foil for Dexter after that.

Comment

I thought they could have ended the episode as he left Deb to deal with Saxon.

The personal hell crap was what made the show suck. The good seasons of this show had never been about that. This show was originally about a guy who couldn't help himself, he had a thirst to kill and the only way to quench the thirst was by killing people. By the end of the finale, he had found an alternative that would eliminate that thirst. He had found Hannah and she was enough for him. Everything would have been wrapped up nicely if Saxon was caught, by Deb, and he just moved away.

Someone told me there was another ending that the original producers had planned for, where he would have killed Saxon, and then the screen would blur out in dream-fashion. When it came back into focus you would see Dexter sitting in an electric chair (or lethal injection) facing his execution. The past seasons were a recap/flashback of his life. He would gaze out into the audience, and everyone in the viewing room would be all the people he had killed. Fade to black, show over.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                I thought they could have ended the episode as he left Deb to deal with Saxon.

The personal hell crap was what made the show suck. The good seasons of this show had never been about that. This show was originally about a guy who couldn't help himself, he had a thirst to kill and the only way to quench the thirst was by killing people. By the end of the finale, he had found an alternative that would eliminate that thirst. He had found Hannah and she was enough for him. Everything would have been wrapped up nicely if Saxon was caught, by Deb, and he just moved away.

Someone told me there was another ending that the original producers had planned for, where he would have killed Saxon, and then the screen would blur out in dream-fashion. When it came back into focus you would see Dexter sitting in an electric chair (or lethal injection) facing his execution. The past seasons were a recap/flashback of his life. He would gaze out into the audience, and everyone in the viewing room would be all the people he had killed. Fade to black, show over.
                That would have been cool.

Comment

I was disapointed with the finale. I was picturing it would end with Dexter wrapped to a table and a knife in his heart...oh well...they wanted to leave it open ended which makes sense, but I think he should have died.

Comment

Working...
                  X