Nickname Jerseys? - Fill out the Raps roster with nicknames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickname Jerseys? - Fill out the Raps roster with nicknames

With the NBA seriously considering having a game between the Heat and Nets this season, where players have their chosen nickname on the back of their jersey instead of their last name, it begs the question. While it's easy to picture nicknames for the big stars, what name would Steve Novak, Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray garner? (Side note, the Raps roster has a substantial lack of established nicknames)

http://nba.si.com/2013/09/23/nba-nic...sct=nba_t2_a12

So without further ado, what nicknames do you nominate for each Raptor this season: (*for jersey purposes only)

Lowry - Pitbull
    Gay - Rudy
    Derozan - 22ft J
    Amir - Amir
    Valanciunas - Big Val
    Acy - Power 3
    Novak - Albino Assassin
    Hansborough - Psycho T
    Fields - Of Dreams
    Gray - Hacksaw
    Buycks - Bikes
    Augustin - No dimes
    Daye - I'm on the court?!
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Hansborough doesn't like being called Pycho T!

Do we even have players who have 'sticky' nicknames?

Comment

Whether he likes it or not, it suits him.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Aaron Gray is the "White Panther"... or "50 Shades".

I like "Dirty Landry" for Fields.

And I don't think "Rudy" is a nickname when its his first name.. Lol
        Even Shane Battier is going with Shane-O.

Comment

lol White Panther is awesome. So is Dirty Landry.

Based on the article, it doesn't have to be a nickname per say. After all, has anyone ever called Ray Allen "Shuttlesworth" in his career?

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            After all, has anyone ever called Ray Allen "Shuttlesworth" in his career?
            I've been calling Ray Allen 'Jesus Shuttlesworth' for years ... like 15 years. Lol

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              I've been calling Ray Allen 'Jesus Shuttlesworth' for years ... like 15 years. Lol
              I'd be more on board if he went with "Jesus Shuttlesworth", but it still isn't really his nickname.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                I'd be more on board if he went with "Jesus Shuttlesworth", but it still isn't really his nickname.
                From Wikipedia:
                "His role as Shuttlesworth earned him the nickname "Jesus" from teammates and fans."

Not to mention, the NBA probably won't let him just put "Jesus" on the back of the jersey. Lol
                They've already said that names like 'Batman' and 'Flash' aren't allowed due to Trademark.
                I'm sure avoiding calls of 'Blasphemy' is right up there on their list of things to avoid with this.
                Afterall this is really just to sell a few more jerseys. And I'm going to bet that a jersey with "shuttlesworth" on the back will sell as well as any of the others, if not better.
                Last edited by Joey; Tue Sep 24, 2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

From Wikipedia:
                  "His role as Shuttlesworth earned him the nickname "Jesus" from teammates and fans."

Not to mention, the NBA probably won't let him just put "Jesus" on the back of the jersey. Lol
                  They've already said that names like 'Batman' and 'Flash' aren't allowed due to Trademark.
                  I'm sure avoiding calls of 'Blasphemy' is right up there on their list of things to avoid with this.
                  Afterall this is really just to sell a few more jerseys. And I'm going to bet that a jersey with "shuttlesworth" on the back will sell as well as any of the others, if not better.

He could claim to be Spanish...or like Denzel said in the movie...

Jesus Shuttlesworth: I hate my name. What kind of name is Jesus anyway?
                  Jake Shuttlesworth: It's biblical.
                  Jesus Shuttlesworth: Yeah, no kidding.
                  Last edited by Axel; Tue Sep 24, 2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I think DeMar likes COMP10. He engraves it on his most of his shoes.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Lowry - Short Stack. That's terrible. Pitbull is way better but I have to put something.
                      Gay - A-Ru-Gay-La (like arugula lettuce). What?
                      Demar DeScore Derozan
                      Octane Amir Johnson
                      Bonus Jonas Valanciunas
                      Quincy The New Testament Acy
                      Steve The Champ Novak
                      Tyler "I occasionally cry during a game" Hansborough
                      Landry The Old Testament Fields.... but seriously Dirty Landry is awesome.
                      Gray - The Graylord? Grayskull?
                      Dwight Motor Buycks or Dirt Buycks. Or Stolen Buycks. I've never seen this man play.
                      No-J DJ Augustin
                      Austin Yester-Daye (all his floor time seems so far away)
                      "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
                        Lowry - Short Stack. That's terrible. Pitbull is way better but I have to put something.
                        Gay - A-Ru-Gay-La (like arugula lettuce). What?
                        Demar DeScore Derozan
                        Octane Amir Johnson
                        Bonus Jonas Valanciunas
                        Quincy The New Testament Acy
                        Steve The Champ Novak
                        Tyler "I occasionally cry during a game" Hansborough
                        Landry The Old Testament Fields.... but seriously Dirty Landry is awesome.
                        Gray - The Graylord? Grayskull?
                        Dwight Motor Buycks or Dirt Buycks. Or Stolen Buycks. I've never seen this man play.
                        No-J DJ Augustin
                        Austin Yester-Daye (all his floor time seems so far away)
                        What about "Stone Cold" Steve Novak?

Comment

Where's Terrence "No Props Needed" Ross on the OP list?

Novak is already Novakaine and the White Panther is set.

Dirty Landry's a great play on his name, but not really sure it fits the player. Comp10 needs to spread for DeRozan.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

What about "Stone Cold" Steve Novak?
                            Novak seems like the one guy on this roster who will likely have a legit nickname soon. Role players who are fan fav's will always earn a nickname, even if it is "White Mamba" Brian Scalabrine.

Acy is the 2nd most likely to earn a moniker.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Where's Terrence "No Props Needed" Ross on the OP list?

Novak is already Novakaine and the White Panther is set.

Dirty Landry's a great play on his name, but not really sure it fits the player. Comp10 needs to spread for DeRozan.
                              How about Clean Landry? Not intimidating but I guess it's a thing.
                              If Derozan likes Comp10 that's cool but I don't understand why players want their number in their nickname. What if they get traded and don't use that number... like CB4. At least this one is a play on words.

As for Ross..... Um.... doesn't he like flight31 or something? Kinda lame.
                              "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Working...
                              X