2016 NBA Allstar Games In Toronto!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 NBA Allstar Games In Toronto!

The Raptors are on the verge of landing the 2016 NBA All-Star game in Toronto, according to multiple sources.

An official announcement is expected shortly that will reveal further details of how one of the sport's biggest weekends will tie in to the Toronto Raptors' 20th-anniversary season.

Tim Leiweke, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president and CEO, made it clear upon taking over the company that landing the prestigious event was one of his early goals.

“Clearly the 2016 all-star game is a flag in the sand that we planted with the NBA. It is a must have in my opinion and it will be the centre piece of how we rebrand this,” Leiweke said in May.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...-All-Star-Game

Cool

Comment

Didn't see this coming, despite Leiweke's statements when he came onboard.

I, for one, won't bother attending any events. Just can't think of anything that is worth the hassle of dealing with those kind of crowds...but it will be a good day for TO and thew Raps organization.

Comment

Wiggins for ASG MVP

Comment

Sick.

Comment

It's about time!

Comment

This is awesome, can't wait.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Just came home from school..........best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

I'm right there with you Puffer. Have no interest in attending any of it, but great for the city.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Fantastic news for the city!
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Wow ... well there goes Doug Smith's long standing opinion that Toronto will never get the ASG, because it's somehow not suited to host it .... Idiot. Lol

This is absolutely amazing news, and proof that TL is a man of his word and gets things done.

Comment

Not to mention WHITE VEGAS baby, Woo!! This is going to be one sloppy game. Haha

Toronto Tourism ad: 'White Vegas' from The Basketball Jones on Vimeo.

Last edited by Joey; Tue Sep 24, 2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Wow ... well there goes Doug Smith's long standing opinion that Toronto will never get the ASG, because it's somehow not suited to host it .... Idiot. Lol

This is absolutely amazing news, and proof that TL is a man of his word and gets things done.
                          Now I'm not one to support Doug Smith on anything.... but.....

The lack of convention centre space within a short distance (i.e. couple minutes walk) to accommodate all the hoopla that goes on surrounding the actual game itself was the issue. I believe a lack of quality hotels was an issue too.

Obviously things have changed in Toronto the last few years but there are a lot of NBA cities who could not handle the circus that is an ASG.

There was a thread on this before.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Didn't see this coming, despite Leiweke's statements when he came onboard.

I, for one, won't bother attending any events. Just can't think of anything that is worth the hassle of dealing with those kind of crowds...but it will be a good day for TO and thew Raps organization.
                            May this be the first of many "I told you so" for Leiweke.

Comment

On TSN too: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=432655

It's rather ironic that this is something BC was working on even before TL (I believe), and certainly in his temporary role after being reassigned. Somewhere BC is muttering to himself... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X