The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    You say it all right there "in a year or two Wiggins will lead the way". Wiggins is the better prospect.
    Thats not a lock though, thats just what I think could happen.
    And right now Parker is the most NBA ready of all the prospects and will be a superstar in this league no doubt.

Wiggins seems to be way too shy when underneath the spot light, he doesn't have the killer instinct right now that is needed to get where he wants to go.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
      He's not really a tweener, he could play the four but he's mainly a small forward. And even if he had to play the four, he is still very big (6-8, 245) so he's basically Melo size with less body fat.
      The physical comparison to Derrick Williams (6'8", 240lbs) is what I think is the cause for concern, regarding Parker's 'tweener' status. He can dominate at the NCAA level, but the fear is that he's too slow to play SF and too small to play PF. I was very high on Williams ahead of his draft, so I can totally understand the trepidation some GMs might have.

I get a sense that the NBA pendulum is slowly swinging back to traditional positional roles (as opposed to favoring generic athleticism above all else), so the fear is justifiable (especially when choosing over an equally talented traditional-type player).

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        If wiggins is on the board guys he is getting picked up by the Raptors. TL wants him bad and this recent Rudy Gay trade had him pushing Ujiri to do it fast written all over it, so Wiggins can come here and take his #22.

Even if wiggins stock falls gorribly Raptors would still pick him with a #1. Cause we are on that Canadian tip so hard.
        And that would be the stupidest move ever. You pick the best player available!

Comment

Wiggins seems to be way too shy when underneath the spot light, he doesn't have the killer instinct right now that is needed to get where he wants to go.
          In in Toronto, Wiggins will have more pressure than any other market. His mental fortitude should be heavily gauged if the Raps end up with any shot at him.

Comment

• Andrew Wiggins is really starting to remind me of a young Grant Hill the more i watch him play.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              The physical comparison to Derrick Williams (6'8", 240lbs) is what I think is the cause for concern, regarding Parker's 'tweener' status. He can dominate at the NCAA level, but the fear is that he's too slow to play SF and too small to play PF. I was very high on Williams ahead of his draft, so I can totally understand the trepidation some GMs might have.

I get a sense that the NBA pendulum is slowly swinging back to traditional positional roles (as opposed to favoring generic athleticism above all else), so the fear is justifiable (especially when choosing over an equally talented traditional-type player).
              He doesn't seem that slow to me, the kid likes to run.

Comment

He doesn't seem that slow to me, the kid likes to run.
                I wasn't saying he was. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some GMs view him that way, fearing he'll be the next Williams - still a good player, just not worthy of being such a high draft pick.

Comment

Agree with the tweener situation.

I don't think the NBA is leaning back to traditional positions. I think that Parker's situation is actually illustrative of this. He lacks elite athleticism and doesn't make up for it with size. This is his main criticism.

Also clarification: he's not slow, just not very explosive.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Thats not a lock though, thats just what I think could happen.
                    And right now Parker is the most NBA ready of all the prospects and will be a superstar in this league no doubt.

But if you think it's true, then Wiggins is the right answer. We aren't drafting a player based on winning more games the next season; we draft based on who will be the best player over their career. Wiggins, by almost every measure, comes out in that regard even to you.

Parker will be great, so will Randle and Exum and Smart. We are splitting hairs of elite prospects but at the end of the day, Wiggins D and all round game makes him the better player. He looks effortless at times because it is so easy for him to do things athletically. He will be better than Parker.

In the long term, only player I see as could be better is Exum. A 6'6" ball handler with that much skill impacts the game in so many ways.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I wasn't saying he was. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some GMs view him that way, fearing he'll be the next Williams - still a good player, just not worthy of being such a high draft pick.
                      Of course they view him that way! They want to try lowering his value so they can snatch him up with a later pick! Lol don't you get it?!

Comment

And that would be the stupidest move ever. You pick the best player available!
                        its not going to happen Wiggins may not be first but Im just saying Raps have him on top of that list of draft picks. Its what Management wants they want Wiggin's and honestly they would just make him a project and accelerate his development. wiggins is the pick. He could be injured and miss his rookie season Raps would still get him.

Its all about having a Canadian kid rep and be a leader for the team think about the publicity think about the scope think about the revenue!

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          But if you think it's true, then Wiggins is the right answer. We aren't drafting a player based on winning more games the next season; we draft based on who will be the best player over their career. Wiggins, by almost every measure, comes out in that regard even to you.

Parker will be great, so will Randle and Exum and Smart. We are splitting hairs of elite prospects but at the end of the day, Wiggins D and all round game makes him the better player. He looks effortless at times because it is so easy for him to do things athletically. He will be better than Parker.

In the long term, only player I see as could be better is Exum. A 6'6" ball handler with that much skill impacts the game in so many ways.
                          Exum is scary good.

Comment

Exum is scary good.
                            But for the record I'd still take Wiggins
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              its not going to happen Wiggins may not be first but Im just saying Raps have him on top of that list of draft picks. Its what Management wants they want Wiggin's and honestly they would just make him a project and accelerate his development. wiggins is the pick. He could be injured and miss his rookie season Raps would still get him.

Its all about having a Canadian kid rep and be a leader for the team think about the publicity think about the scope think about the revenue!
                              I really don't care about any of those things. I care about drafting the best player.

Comment

• i'd take exum over parker, personally
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X