The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    All this hype on McDermott reminds me of all the hype leading up to the 2011 draft for Jimmer Fredette, also player of the year like McDermott and a great 4 year NCAA scorer. Jimmer's stats for the combine measurements were also surprisingly good, a 6'4 1/2" wingspan and a 33' vertical leap.

Sacramento took Jimmer at number 10.
    McDermott is a poor mans Mike Miller
    Just like Miller, Mcdermott can get his own shot he doesn't rely on others such as Reddick and Kyle Korver
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
      All this hype on McDermott reminds me of all the hype leading up to the 2011 draft for Jimmer Fredette, also player of the year like McDermott and a great 4 year NCAA scorer. Jimmer's stats for the combine measurements were also surprisingly good, a 6'4 1/2" wingspan and a 33' vertical leap.

Sacramento took Jimmer at number 10.
      I'm not seeing a lot of hype on McDermott. I have not read anyone saying he is going to be a star.

Jimmer was EVERYWHERE. There were posters on this forum saying get him by any means necessary.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        I'm not seeing a lot of hype on McDermott. I have not read anyone saying he is going to be a star.

Jimmer was EVERYWHERE. There were posters on this forum saying get him by any means necessary.
        Jimmer had that mormon hype going, dude was destined to fail, not quick, athletic, his usage was through the roof at BYU, a good shooter, but couldnt penetrate, pass, bad defensively, low bball IQ in no way he was deserving a lottery pick

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
          Is it me or anyone else have a feeling were gonna trade for some more picks
          Would have to trade with Phoenix or Chicago.
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
            Would have to trade with Phoenix or Chicago.
            Why does it "have" to be Phoenix or Chicago?

Comment

• Because they have multiple picks, so would be a lot more likely to trade them in this "once of a lifetime" draft.

Comment

• Vykis wrote: View Post
                Jimmer had that mormon hype going, dude was destined to fail, not quick, athletic, his usage was through the roof at BYU, a good shooter, but couldnt penetrate, pass, bad defensively, low bball IQ in no way he was deserving a lottery pick
                McDermott is not NBA quick by any standards. His shooting % (still impressive) and rebounding were down some this year from last. Among potential lottery picks, the 0.89 assist to turnover ratio is rather average (same as James Young).

Comment

• McDermott isn't getting the hype that Jimmer got because Jimmer was, well, Jimmer. Jimmer came, he got hyped, and he turned out to be something of a one-dimensional player, so everybody is very wary of drafting Jimmer 2.0 (or worse, Adam Morrison 2.0).

McDermott is smarter than Jimmer and Morrison were and has a better appreciation of team defense, and is basically a finished package. The reason he's a likely low-end lotto pick despite his limitations is because he's got DEPENDABLE BENCH SCORING AND A GOOD TEAMMATE written on him in big letters and there's always a market for that, especially when it looks like you don't have to teach the guy anything: he'll come in and be your bench scoring from day one.

Comment

• Been watching draft workout videos, and I like Dwight Powell - 6'9.5" in bare feet, 6'11" in shoes, lovely shooting stroke (he's clearly been working very hard on his jumper). His wingspan could be better (it's only 7"-ish) but other than that he's very promising as a stretch 4/5. Extremely good basketball IQ, too, and he's unselfish (four assists per 40 minutes in his last year at Stanford). We should be able to get him with one of our second-rounders.

Comment

• Yeah, I don't see anyone hyping Doug. People are being extremely cautious in predicting his ceiling for the most part. I'll be following his career and hoping he can prove he's more than just a guy who'll hit a three here and there off the Bench.

Comment

• I wonder who this anonymous GM is.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          I wonder who this anonymous GM is.

GM of the Bucks?

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                            I wonder who this anonymous GM is.

Somebody with two HOF'ers on his roster.

Comment

• The difference between 10-25 (roughly) isn't that huge

There will be players who drop that we didn't expect. Question is, who?
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Shit. He's tall. Near 6'9

Comment

Working...
                                X