The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Disagree. I think the Cavs are looking at Embiid first and foremost. If his health checks out, they take him imo.

ESPN agrees with me http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...d=SportsCenter
    Here lies the problem. His agent is not willing to let any team do physical (actually, he will to a select team or 2 -likely not Bucks or Cavs).

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
      No, their biggest fuckup was passing on Andre Drummond, Damian Lillard and Harrison Barnes (and heck, even T-Ross) for Dion Waiters in 2012.
      Waiters is better than you think

....he has a bad rep here for some reason

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I really like Payton. I would not at all be bothered by the Raps taking a possible 3rd string PG with the 20th pick (or even moving up for Ennis). It's always good to have that insurance if one of Vasquez or Lowry is not re-signed. Also Vasquez did a good job playing as a SG this year and he's generally a bit less exposed quickness-wise on D there. Also can't forget that even if both are re-signed, Vasquez may be for just one year if they can't agree on a long contract and he just signs for the qualifying offer.
      Payton could end up being the best non-lotto guy drafted. I was high on him in december then got distracted by a couple of guys but now I think he is the Raps best target at 20

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      I'd love the Cavs to trade #1. I just think it is going to take a lot more than DD and #20 to do it. JV would likely be the starting point.
      JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
      Would you guys trade DD+NY/DENVER 2016 PICK+2015 PICK for Cleveland's #1 Pick and Varejao?

Our lineup for the future would be Ross, Wiggins, JV.

And maybe with our 20th pick draft a guy like Elfrid Payton?
      *Drooooool*

Done. Sign me up. I would add some more in there (like Salmons expiring for Jack for added incentive) in order to get it done. Though I would prefer to keep the 2015 pick and offer then the best of ours/nyk/den pick in 2016 (NYK looks good)

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
      Oh man the lineup of

Smart
      Ross
      Someone else
      Vonleh
      JV

Would be so beautiful .. but it would be so hard to see the current guys go
      Smart is going to be a huge draft flop.

If he is lucky he goes to a team where he has ZERO point guard responsibilities and can be the Tony Allen of point guards.

Sure he works hard, sure he is built like a brick sh**house, but he can't lead a team. There are reasons why his team wasn't very good in college

Comment

• LOL I can't wait to see what we get for the 3 picks New York sent us.. for Andrea Bargnani 😂 AAHAHAH

Wish Bargs the best though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Anyone know who this guy is???
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Would we be able to get the 8th pick for Amir+Vasquez in hopes to draft Vonleh?

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
              Would we be able to get the 8th pick for Amir+Vasquez in hopes to draft Vonleh?

No lol

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  This is whats called blowing smoke up your ass. GSW who West represents has no draft picks to worry about thank you very much. Ainge is pissed because he is stuck in the 6 hole. And the obfuscation begins.
                  Listen I agree with West that these kids should stay longer in college and most of the kids coming out of this draft are fundamentally deficient. The only exception might be Embiid, who from a technical point of view, is the best player available in this draft. Like Hakeem, Embiid has already mastered basic post moves (basic jump hook, over-under, simple counters) and he can build on that.

Where I have to disagree with West (who probably knows more about basketball than I ever will), is the rating of star talent. While we'll never see a Wilt, Russell, Shaq or Lebron type player ever again, I think he's being too harsh. Embiid is incredibly mobile and has the smoothest gait of a 7 footer I've ever seen since maybe Shaq himself. Plus a 45 inch vertical leap is no joke and Wiggins also has an incredible wingspan and some big mitts. Star talent is there, but I can't see why there can't be franchise-changing talent.

It's sorta like how you do a dunking contest. You see a couple good dunks and you throw out a 10. When a jaw-dropping one comes along, you wished you hadn't given out a 10 so fast. Jerry West is one of those judges who'd be conservative on the 10 and wait until a special one comes along when in truth, he should be giving them out a little more often.
                  Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

If he is lucky he goes to a team where he has ZERO point guard responsibilities and can be the Tony Allen of point guards.

Sure he works hard, sure he is built like a brick sh**house, but he can't lead a team. There are reasons why his team wasn't very good in college
                    Finally someone here who also doesn't rate him that much! Not only his PG skills are lacking but obviously he can't shoot at all and his athleticism is way overrated. Below the rim player in games.

---------

Btw, Ainge has always said it was an overrated draft, not just because they slid to 6th. He often says something yet means the complete opposite though. I tend to agree with him, although not because it's a top heavy draft, there will be lots of good players. The top end is the overrated part IMO for the amount of hype it gets.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      Waiters is better than you think

....he has a bad rep here for some reason
                      Waiters is hot garbage. Inefficient, bad teammate, doesn't really contribute anything outside of his scoring (which he does VERY inefficiently as I already said). Only reason he has any value is because of his young age. I wouldn't even consider trading Ross for him.

Smart isn't going to be a flop, but I do agree with you on his ideal scenario being somewhere where he doesn't need to handle point guard duties. He'd be a nice fit in Boston next to Rajon.

Comment

• Smart = Rodney Stuckey

Waiters attitude is what kills his perception. DeRozans first two years in the league were not that great, but he was quiet and perceived as a hard worker in the off-season. His 3rd season his with an expanded role saw his fg% drop, but we are not that hard on him.
                        Waiters is still not a finished product, and right now he can go either way, but I will cut the kid some slack and wit one more year.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                          Waiters is hot garbage. Inefficient

I agree about his attitude, he reminds me of a young Kyle Lowry (both are from Philly).

But come on, Waiters is really good, he just doesn't fit aside Kyrie Irving cuz neither of them is a real point guard. He is a playmaker and a shotmaker. They both play better when the other one is not on the floor. Blame his non-succes on playing with the Cavaliers, not on his talents.

Still I wouldn't trade Ross for him aswell, even though he is a better talent, he needs the ball in his hands, and so does DeMar, and Kyle.
                          Myself (March 2014):
                          The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• ^ That is ONE game. With zero team defense being played

Comment

• ^Still it shows his big stage presence.

Myself (March 2014):
                              The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                                ^Still it shows his big stage presence.

These are highlights, I'm not sure why this matters.

Comment

Working...
                                X